Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

If that's the sort of money he's looking for and getting it then I hope he goes to one of our likely competitors. That would fairly eat into that club's budget.. Almost an identikit scenario for a gig at Dens?

St Mirren have released/are not keeping Paul McGowan (I don't want him at Firhill btw!), he was a wide/attacking player and Saints fans claim he was on £3k a week... I reckon St Mirren may try and get McFadden! He can still be a decent player imo.

County have signed Joe Cardle on a one year deal. Shows a lack of ambition, if that is the standard County are bringing in then they will be down near the bottom next season. He had a decent season at Raith there, will be interesting to see how he copes in the Premiership!

Edited by mhs

Or a dose of realism?

did joe cardle not play for the pars in the spl?

If we are looking for a left back what about Ryan McGivern at Hibs? I know he is part of a terrible Hibs team but I'm sure it's the whole team and management to blame not just McGivern and with spl experience and in a different team he might do okay

No way on McGivern he is a hoof ball merchant- rather go for th eboy calum booth out on loan at raith or the Hamilton full back Ziggy Gordon?

Cardle is a Ross frobes type player- good in flashes but not up to Premier League

McFadden is a bust on the way down, yeas could turn it on on ocassion but he wasnt getting a regular start with Well and his wages are out of our budget

No way on McGivern he is a hoof ball merchant- rather go for th eboy calum booth out on loan at raith or the Hamilton full back Ziggy Gordon?

Cardle is a Ross frobes type player- good in flashes but not up to Premier League

McFadden is a bust on the way down, yeas could turn it on on ocassion but he wasnt getting a regular start with Well and his wages are out of our budget

i wasn't sure if the ziggy Gordon deal was still a possibility with him just signing a new deal and McNamara also hovering around

To be fair to McGivern that's the way both Fenlon and Butcher have told Hibs to play. A mate of mine who knows Alan Maybury was told by him that training under Butcher and Malpas is brutal. It's all about launching the ball into the box from anywhere on the park and encouraging midfield runners to pick up the pieces. I'm not suggesting we should be interested in McGivern, just that playing for Hibs at the moment is no indication of how good a player you are.

To be fair to McGivern that's the way both Fenlon and Butcher have told Hibs to play. A mate of mine who knows Alan Maybury was told by him that training under Butcher and Malpas is brutal. It's all about launching the ball into the box from anywhere on the park and encouraging midfield runners to pick up the pieces. I'm not suggesting we should be interested in McGivern, just that playing for Hibs at the moment is no indication of how good a player you are.

I agree that a player has to play the way a team is set up to play and Butcher especially is a long ball merchant (look at ICT) i just dont think McGivern is any good as anyone with a ounce of talent would shine in the current hibz team.

I would rather go with younger players eager to develop that mid 20s journeyman guys

I watched the Hamilton game last night and it was the first time I can really remember seeing Ziggy Gordon playing.

Maybe it was just me, but for a left back he doesn't use his left foot and is actually right footed. That was a downside straight away as he never seemed keen on taking his man on and getting a cross in. He was always cutting in (which Sinky does too to be fair) but seems pretty limited in that regard.

Seemed ok defensively but can't say I was bowled over by him.

I agree that a player has to play the way a team is set up to play and Butcher especially is a long ball merchant (look at ICT) i just dont think McGivern is any good as anyone with a ounce of talent would shine in the current hibz team.

I would rather go with younger players eager to develop that mid 20s journeyman guys

I think Jason Cummings is the onl one in that Hibs team who will possibly move onto bigger things in time

I think Jason Cummings is the onl one in that Hibs team who will possibly move onto bigger things in time

I think Sam Stanton could be a good player ...if he didn't show up in that game he has looked their best player in a lot of other games, in fact he's looked their only player with any skill sometimes.

Disagree with the comments about Ryan McGivern, I think he would be a good replacement for Sinclair. There are a few Hibs players I would be interested in if they became available. Liam Craig would make a great addition to the squad, along with Cairney and Heffernan if we fail to get Taylor.

We need to add some strength and more experience to the team. We need two new centre backs. We lost far too many headed goals last season. If we don’t do something about this, teams will continue to play on this. One of the big differences about going up to the Premiership is teams are far better at exploiting your weaknesses.

Disagree with the comments about Ryan McGivern, I think he would be a good replacement for Sinclair. There are a few Hibs players I would be interested in if they became available. Liam Craig would make a great addition to the squad, along with Cairney and Heffernan if we fail to get Taylor.

We need to add some strength and more experience to the team. We need two new centre backs. We lost far too many headed goals last season. If we don’t do something about this, teams will continue to play on this. One of the big differences about going up to the Premiership is teams are far better at exploiting your weaknesses.

Really? Ryan mcgivern has been noticeably bad in that hibs team. He could maybe be a semi-competent centre back but as a left back we're probably just as well letting a different fan play there every week.

Liam Craig I'm undecided on, don't know where he would fit in our team, agree about cairney as a squad player and also heffernan who has proven he can do it at killie. The only ones other than them I'd be interested in are the young ones like Stanton and Cummings who'll be staying and kevin Thompson who'll probably want too much money for us.

I watched the Hamilton game last night and it was the first time I can really remember seeing Ziggy Gordon playing.

Maybe it was just me, but for a left back he doesn't use his left foot and is actually right footed. That was a downside straight away as he never seemed keen on taking his man on and getting a cross in. He was always cutting in (which Sinky does too to be fair) but seems pretty limited in that regard.

Seemed ok defensively but can't say I was bowled over by him.

You're correct about Gordon. A right back but been played left back. Stuck record from me but I still think it's Hendrie we'd be after. Faded after an injury but still a young lad with real potential.

I have watched all our HIbs games this season and I thought Ryan Mcgivern has been good. The weakness Hibs have in defence is mostly round the centre backs imo.

Liam Craig would play the centre attacking midfield role Craigen played last season. If he does go from Hibs I would think other premiership teams would be in for him though.

I was sure Archie would go for Thomson last year when he was made available in the window last season. Looking back on it though he is to injury prone nowadays.