Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Don't rate Goodwillie that highly, would rather see money spent on someone else. Doubt we could afford the wages either.

I don't think we could afford Goodwillie and Im not sure I'd want him.I think he might be a busted flush now and heading down the same road as a Derek Riodan.

Don't rate Goodwillie that highly, would rather see money spent on someone else. Doubt we could afford the wages either.

What's the thoughts on attracting English league 1 players? Some cracking talent in that league, Alan Sheehan (Notts County) is a decent left back and I think is out of contract in the summer or Scott Laird at Preston.

Both are good players but probably outwith out budget. I think the replacement for ATS will be a loan signing from Celtic/downsouth. Just a hunch though.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Gary Harkins. I think he has another year on his deal at St Mirren but he could be available.

The type of player Archie could get the best out of. He would suit central attacking midfield role for us.

Looks like he done well down at Oldham.

Archie went for him before but never got him, possible Archie may try to rekindle this interest.

Harkins either seems to be absolutely rubbish at clubs or absolutely brilliant. Given that we are one of the clubs he was absolutely brilliant at and Archie knows him very well I'd have no problem having him back

No problem at all with suggesting to bring players who served us well in the past.

But, and it's a big BUT, where is the guarantee that they would improve us?

Harkins and Cairney were standout players in first division teams that went.............nowhere, frankly.

Chris Erskine - there is no questioning his contribution last season, but as many others have pointed out, his loan spell with us this year pales and then some.

We need to be careful what we wish for.

The system we employ has moved on from the Harkins and Cairney days. As for Chris Erskine, there may be a confidence factor involved there. Archie will be a better judge of that than any of us, so let's leave it to him to decide.

• Like 1

It's all about opinions barney and as I say erskine for me provided far more to the team than prince.

I agree its not all about bringing back players but one advantage IMO is that they know the club, they know a lot of the other players and above all Archie knows them.

Top of the list for me to be brought back is Lyle who knows the club other players and Archie knows him well

It's all about opinions barney and as I say erskine for me provided far more to the team than prince.

I agree its not all about bringing back players but one advantage IMO is that they know the club, they know a lot of the other players and above all Archie knows them.

Top of the list for me to be brought back is Lyle who knows the club other players and Archie knows him well

Agree with you re Lyle.

But Chris and Prince are two totally different kinds of player, so you are not comparing like with like in that instance.

Prince did well for us, and in my view doing a dirty job that he was never going to make him the star of the show. But he did it, and did it well.

We all had higher expectations of Chris given his major contribution last season. And probably that more than anything else has contributed to the (probably harsh) analysis made of him. We are apt to forget that he played against better defenders this season.

Agree with you re Lyle.

But Chris and Prince are two totally different kinds of player, so you are not comparing like with like in that instance.

Prince did well for us, and in my view doing a dirty job that he was never going to make him the star of the show. But he did it, and did it well.

We all had higher expectations of Chris given his major contribution last season. And probably that more than anything else has contributed to the (probably harsh) analysis made of him. We are apt to forget that he played against better defenders this season.

According to Sky Sports News The Prince may be about to be offered a contract with Hearts

According to bbc gossip, lawless set to sign for 12 months. Kevin Thompson and James McPake to Dundee.

Thompson is a negative dud on a downward spiral but a fit McPake would be an excellent signing. Almost two seasons of constant injuries would rule him being fit more than half a season a miracle.

Dundee doing same as last time it seems - loads of signings and spending some money but most of it a waste on old journeymen.

Agree with you re Lyle.

part of my distinction was that there had been questions raised about princes attitude at Carlisle while for me there was never any question of erskines attitude in a red and yellow shirt rather far more a confidence issue. Anyway both will get my full support if they sign on.

In other news Dundee united signing one time target of ours Blair spittal of queens park. Another one for the future Dundee united seen to be very quick at nicking queens parks brightest prospects

I wonder if they'll shaft Queens again?

well interesting point will is that Blair just signed a new 1 year deal with queens park 2 weeks ago but that may be worthless and I can't see Steven Thompson paying queens park.

Therefore if Archie is genuinely interested we could perhaps say to queens park we will take him but provide compensation and possible loan back?

well interesting point will is that Blair just signed a new 1 year deal with queens park 2 weeks ago but that may be worthless and I can't see Steven Thompson paying queens park.

Therefore if Archie is genuinely interested we could perhaps say to queens park we will take him but provide compensation and possible loan back?

I asked the same question before. If you're an amateur what's the point of a contract?

• Like 1

I look forward to my £100 from the guy that assured me Lawless would be playing for a bigger club than us next season. Wish I could remember the name of the poster or the thread.

Thistle ARE a bigger club this season now that they are an established Premiership club Ian :D

Good show. So the bet is if he goes to a bigger team than us, I win and if he goes to a lesser club, like the scottish championship for example, you win.

I look forward to my £100 from the guy that assured me Lawless would be playing for a bigger club than us next season. Wish I could remember the name of the poster or the thread.

That guy would be me Ian Mac, but as you can see from the above quote, no where mentioned that I owe you £100 if Lawless stayed with us. But glad to keep the bet going until he does leave us.

We dont appear to be linked with anyone and below is no doubt complete rubbish but just saw it posted by Oldham supporter

From the usual site;

Gary Harkins can leave St Mirren if another is willing to sign him. Former clubs Partick Thistle and Dunded gave enquired about him. Oldham also interested.

Again no link to Thistle here but Hibs supporting cousin is raging - apparently some of the younger lads with potential Stanton etc are having their wages slashed to £400 a week through relegation and have been told they can find other clubs if required. Personally not to sure the sense on that as Stanton had recently signed a 4 year deal with the hibbees

HELP!

I've been following football in this country for over 50 years. I've met many current footballers (at the time). I've drank with two secretaries of the players union, one in particular for a period of many years. Thru the nature of my then occupation I was in constant company of sports reporters. NOT once have I ever heard or overheard what any player was earning.

Admittedly I'm not over-inquisitive by nature but I find it amazing how so many folk appear to know for certain what some relatively insignificant footballer earns. Not just that, all these players amazingly seem to be played a flat rate while unless things have changed dramatically of late players' wages are made up of basic, win/draw and final place bonuses.

So excuse me when I take whatever so and so is on with a wee pile of salt.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

That guy would be me Ian Mac, but as you can see from the above quote, no where mentioned that I owe you £100 if Lawless stayed with us. But glad to keep the bet going until he does leave us.

I think that's called reneging.

You bet me £100 that lawless would be playing for a bigger than us next season. As he is staying, you have lost the bet.

Grow up and pay up.

Edited by ian_mac