Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Was told this morning that we've spoken with Harkins after St Mirren released him.

Two seasons ago maybe but can't help but feel we have developed as a team since he bossed our midfield. Just can't see where he would fit in to be brutally honest.

I don't think we will sign Harkins.

He had a run-in at Killie and it was allegedly over his lack of first team starts. St Mirren were then quick to loan him out and Danny Lennon referred to his off-the-pitch attitude/effort.

The guy is talented, we know that, but his attitude is unlikely to fit in with us. Archie has referred to how important our team spirit is etc. so I can't see him signing a player who has clearly had issues with his last two clubs.

Edited by mhs

Kinda go along with the non enthusiasm for Harkins. Slightly ironic that the only time he played consistently well for us was when he was super fit. I assume he was reasonably fit at Dundee as well so we're maybe talking about 2 seasons max in his whole career? Name calling could be out of order as he may just be the type of player that needs to play every week. Either way I'd be surprised if he was signed.

Re Harkins quite interesting to reflect on Thistle players who left us a few seasons ago to go "upwards" in their careers. Harkins Twaddle, Tuffey and Buchanan are the four who spring to mind. We have passed them all on their way down. They would all have done better staying as Kris Doolan could no doubt tell them.

Harkins didn't want to come last summer when St. Mirren offered more cash, if he comes to us it'd purely be because we're offering the best deal he can get. He'd be a risk, by all accounts did well down at Oldham but for the money he'd probably want I think there's probably better/younger out there.

Re Harkins quite interesting to reflect on Thistle players who left us a few seasons ago to go "upwards" in their careers. Harkins Twaddle, Tuffey and Buchanan are the four who spring to mind. We have passed them all on their way down. They would all have done better staying as Kris Doolan could no doubt tell them.

And you can add Cairney too. I guess you might, might say Paton has improved his career, but there's been few others.

Must just be me then. I'd be delighted to see Harkins back. Best footballer to play for Thistle since Charnley. And like Charnley, maybe he's the kind of player who only flourishes at one club. (And I'd have Cairney back too. Just because these guys left us, doesn't make them bad players...)

• Like 1

Except if Harkins and Twaddle stayed, we probably wouldn't be were we are now- their transfer fees helped us cover some serious mismanagement which might have lead to part-time footie or even admin.

• Like 1

Harkins didn't want to come last summer when St. Mirren offered more cash, if he comes to us it'd purely be because we're offering the best deal he can get. He'd be a risk, by all accounts did well down at Oldham but for the money he'd probably want I think there's probably better/younger out there.

I would guess (hope) that if Archie is interested in him he would insist on him training with us pre-season before signing in order to gauge his work-attitude and how he got on with the rest of the team. I know it's a long shot but if his attitude and willingness to work was right he could fit into our team, playing the position just behind the main striker. But it's probably a long shot.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Harkins would probably be looking at this move (whatever it maybe) as maybe his last chance to make a mark. He is undoubtably a talent and when on his game, he is something to behold.

So it's a yes from me...

agree with you would be happy to have harkins back as well however it seems to have been a st mirren fan at the wind up who stated it.

Someone said that the evening telegraph stated that Kane Hemmings had rejected an offer from Dundee so Kane must be back from the USA now and looking for a deal back here

Was Harkins not pushed out by a board that wanted to cash in on him? I know he wouldn't have moaned about his wage rise, but the point is we jumped at the chance to offload him.

Also, it was a few years ago and he's been playing consistently at a higher level than us, as has Cairney the past two years. Cairney was in a shocking team this year but showed he was more than good enough for this league.

Part of me thinks No to Harkins and the other part says a big Yes. I'm a bit concerned that the St Mirren fans wanted rid of him and he didn't do much for them but on the other hand some of the clips on the tv he has looked superb for Oldham, which is probably a higher level than the SPL. Maybe he's just like Squiddy where he needs the love of the fans to perform at the top of his ability.

Was Harkins not pushed out by a board that wanted to cash in on him? I know he wouldn't have moaned about his wage rise, but the point is we jumped at the chance to offload him.

Also, it was a few years ago and he's been playing consistently at a higher level than us, as has Cairney the past two years. Cairney was in a shocking team this year but showed he was more than good enough for this league.

If there's a real criticism of that particular board then it was their inability to control finances so we were due to pay a tax bill of nearly £100K. We had no choice but to sell our best assets - there wasn't any forcing out of the players (We sold Twaddle too). They would have been perfectly aware of the situation and why they were moved on (and as we got cash for them they would have got a cut too). There was nothing personal in it (and in theory at the time it seemed they were taking a step up) I would imagine no animosity on that account.

If there's a real criticism of that particular board then it was their inability to control finances so we were due to pay a tax bill of nearly £100K. We had no choice but to sell our best assets - there wasn't any forcing out of the players (We sold Twaddle too). They would have been perfectly aware of the situation and why they were moved on (and as we got cash for them they would have got a cut too). There was nothing personal in it (and in theory at the time it seemed they were taking a step up) I would imagine no animosity on that account.

We were also fortunate re the timing in more ways than one. Only a few weeks later yon Calum Melville reneged on the transfer of Harris from Queens to Dundee. Could easily have been the other way round. Bob Harris could've got the move and QoS got the big bucks and we would've been left with Harkins.

Making a signing like Harkins does not come without risks but he would be a target high on my list. We desperately need other attacking midfield options to take the pressure off Higgy. Harkins and Kallum would be a great partnership and Gary’s presence next to him would mean more space for Higgy.

League one is a higher standard that the bottom six in the Scottish premiership so his form for Oldham proves he still has it at this level. He did not fit into the system at St Mirren but he would be ideal for the centre attacking midfield role for Jags. I believe Archie is a manager capable of getting the best out of Harkins and of course knows him well.

Would only offer him a one year contract though.

• Like 1