Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Anyone hear anything else about Stevenson? Bbc reporting Dundee lead the chase. Would be annoying to lose someone to them after being told staying up would see us being able to compete for wages.

It's not purely about competing for wages. Do we want to pay comparable wages for players that will have little saleable value if we were to tie them up? True we need the odd experienced player but I'd argue that would be better down the spine of the team. We got the goalie but I feel we need an experienced centreback, someone perhaps a bit more mobile than Mair and/or a bit of experience in centre mid. If we can't get Lyle Taylor back then we may have to fork out for an experienced striker.

If we have to or can still compete in other areas I'd rather see us competing for players with most of their career ahead of them. I'm not averse to signing Stevenson, Harkins, or other 29/30 year olds who play similar positions but not at the expense of those other positions.

Harkins.....No No No .....we need to move Forward he's in the past

There are plenty of good arguments for and against signing Harkins- the fact he has played for us before is not one of them. I don't understand the argument that he's in the past and we should be looking forward. Surely the only thing that's relevant is whether he can do a job for us now?

• Like 1

Mark Millar released early from his contract at Tannadice. Mentioned this for two reasons:

Suggests that this isn't going to happen to either Erskine or Gardyne, and were we linked with him last year? Maybe one of these guys who stands out in the second tier but can't quite manage a level up.

Mark Millar released early from his contract at Tannadice. Mentioned this for two reasons:

Suggests that this isn't going to happen to either Erskine or Gardyne, and were we linked with him last year? Maybe one of these guys who stands out in the second tier but can't quite manage a level up.

Maybe his situation is pretty similar to Erskine at Tannadice. Not getting enough game time, in a larger, more competitive squad.

We've seen examples in our own team that some players can step up instantly (ATS for example), some struggle with it (Lawless), but some need game time to develop before coming good (Balatoni).

Not that I'm saying we definitely should be interested, just that it shows every new signing is a gamble and some teams can afford it more than others.

Mark Millar is a decent player and would strengthen our current midfield, imo. I'd also like to see more physicality added to the squad especially at centre half. Not sure where we'll get a left back from. Lewis Stevenson freed by Hibs may be an option. I could see him flourish at Thistle with the pressure of playing at Easter Road lifted from his shoulders.

So current first team signed players is as follows?

Goalkeeper

=========

Gallacher

Fox

Full Back

=========

MacMillan

O'Donnell

Centre Defence

==========

Piccolo

Balatoni

Muirhead

Centre Midfield

==========

Welsh

Bannigan

Fraser

Craigen

Attacking Midfield

==========

Lawless

Higginbotham

Centre Forward

==========

Doolan

I think we need five or six new signings, possibly augmented by a loan player or two?

Very well done to Aaron for this and very compimentary to Partick Thistle and our supporters on the Wigan website as well.

I am sure he will do well

Excellent move for him, hope it works out and he continues to develop. I agree, it was nice to see him praise Thistle and the fans - thanks Aaron!

Delighted for ATS.

Not really that bothered about missing out on a fee either, given how instrumental he was in getting us to the top tier and keeping us there.

His goal against Killie was a brilliant way to sign off as well. I remember him charging in to the 6 yard box to get on the end of that cross - outstanding.

Ryan Conroy is left abck with Dundee but has still not signed a new contract with them.

If we are strengthening our defence I remeber Declan Gallacher playing for us as a trialist and seemed okay back then, was really young, now a bit more expereinced he too has not signed a new deal with Dundee despite apparently being offered one

If we are strengthening our defence I remeber Declan Gallacher playing for us as a trialist and seemed okay back then, was really young, now a bit more expereinced he too has not signed a new deal with Dundee despite apparently being offered one

Why would we want another inexperienced centreback?

eta by that I really mean a player of not much more top league experience than what we already have.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Mark Millar is a decent player and would strengthen our current midfield, imo. I'd also like to see more physicality added to the squad especially at centre half. Not sure where we'll get a left back from. Lewis Stevenson freed by Hibs may be an option. I could see him flourish at Thistle with the pressure of playing at Easter Road lifted from his shoulders.

So current first team signed players is as follows?

Goalkeeper

=========

Gallacher

Fox

Full Back

=========

MacMillan

O'Donnell

Centre Defence

==========

Piccolo

Balatoni

Muirhead

Centre Midfield

==========

Welsh

Bannigan

Fraser

Craigen

Attacking Midfield

==========

Lawless

Higginbotham

Centre Forward

==========

Doolan

I think we need five or six new signings, possibly augmented by a loan player or two?

Is Christie Elliott's contract finished?

Rumours are both are going to Hearts.

Every time I come on here, the rumour is everyone's going to Hearts! Some size of squad and spending for a team emerging from Administration.

Not a dig or anything as i'm seeing it other places too, I just can't believe a lot of the rumours.