Can We Please Put A Stop To Similar Chants...

potty trained

By the end of last season it had thankfully disappeared from Firhill. Any attempt to start similar types of chants were often met with stone cold silence or boos.

Hopefully no one is daft enough to try and resurrect it this season.

Even the remotest possibility that we are doing something similar to Millwall fans should be enough for us to stop it.

Nah, no chants like that welcome at Firhill, however looking forward to some major Sevco chants when they eventually reappear at Firhill. The Jambo's fans were great yesterday with their constant "your no Rangers any more" Personally I like the "Rangers then, Sevco now" to the song We're having a party!!

Edited by Lindau

I actually think there is a place for this sort of stuff, as people need outlets. People become frightened by things like Saville, understandably obviously, and want to shout at something. Fair enough. Its ephemeral.

It has always been the same, for a hundred years of Scottish History, people have taken their passions, and their grievances, to the football and let it all out. You do not need to be a historian to know that for pathetic decades the undercurrent of hate in the city could be expressed only through throwing a bottle across a wire fence at Hampden. And then knifing someone later if they got off at the wrong underground station.

I remember getting taken with my pal, we were both nine, to the Scottish Cup Final of 1980, Dundee Utd v Rangers.

My pal and his dad were h*ns, but I was never a H*n, despite all these efforts to convince (brainwash :icon_headfones: ) me otherwise. Anyway, by the time the train got into Mount Florida it was carnage, every window broken, every carriage smashed up. I think I walked off the train in some sort of shock (probably was actually as I remember it all so vividly now), and went to the game. Saw it from the ancient high stand at Hampden (opposite the main stand now), and remember almost a bit of vertigo! Ian Redford (RIP) missed an injury time penalty for Rangers and it finished 0-0 (4-1 Rangers in the replay).

And on the way back we stopped at what used to be the old Third Lanark ground. I'm sure its a housing scheme now, but at one time you could still stand on the terraces there, and imagine you were still following a pretty pish team.

But people do need ways to get things out, and football is one of the best ways of doing it. Much better than war anyway. Iraq, Syria, Palestinians, Ukranians and Russians, get your football boots back on.

I remember getting taken with my pal, we were both nine, to the Scottish Cup Final of 1980, Dundee Utd v Rangers.

And on the way back we stopped at what used to be the old Third Lanark ground. I'm sure its a housing scheme now, but at one time you could still stand on the terraces there, and imagine you were still following a pretty pish team.

Some of the old Cathkin Park terracing is still to be seen. The pitch is still used for football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathkin_Park

The "Jimmy Saville" chant, whilst humorous as a one off repeated on a regular basis is not only cringeworthy, but undoubtedly sectarian. As such it can have absolutely no place amongst our repertoire. This should be left q be sung by the vile hordes who follow the "Sons of William", as the sentiments it espouse I.e. Equating Roman Catholicism with paedophillia are ones far more in keeping with the denizens of Govan, than with followers of Thistle.

Edited by stillresigned

The "Jimmy Saville" chant, whilst humorous as a one off repeated on a regular basis is not only cringeworthy, but undoubtedly sectarian. As such it can have absolutely no place amongst our repertoire. This should be left q be sung by the vile hordes who follow the "Sons of William", as the sentiments it espouse I.e. Equating Roman Catholicism with paedophillia are ones far more in keeping with the denizens of Govan, than with followers of Thistle.

Utter garbage. It was clearly aimed at them because of the disgraceful ongoings and subsequent cover up in the 70's. I can understand why people find it distasteful and would rather it wasn't sung, but to call it sectarian is wild nonsense.

Aberdeen fans regularly sing about it, are they anti-catholic, sectarian bigots?

Utter garbage. It was clearly aimed at them because of the disgraceful ongoings and subsequent cover up in the 70's. I can understand why people find it distasteful and would rather it wasn't sung, but to call it sectarian is wild nonsense.

Aberdeen fans regularly sing about it, are they anti-catholic, sectarian bigots?

Not being like Aberdeen fans ought to be reason enough to ditch these songs. :thumbsup2:

I'm not saying everyone who sings this song is sectarian, but this song is inherently sectarian. A subtle, but important distinction.