Welcome Nathan Eccleston

mhs

It's a bit of a novelty in here now for me. Don't know about some, but I can remember years of us being almost forced to free over half the first team squad right after the end of the season, to save us some cash, then signing up whatever is left the day before pre-season. I will try my best to be negative about things, but thoughts like that keep creeping in.

This boy is only 23 and has some great experience behind him. Definitely sounds like he has the tools to do well at this level, now it's up to him to show that.

Yes, as we now have 3 strikers on the books fighting for 1 slot and a manager who'll quite happily pick a midfielder ahead of them for that place.

You really are one of the most miserable b*stards I've ever come across. The last couple of years must have been really hard for you.

Can I ask how you celebrated our league win in 2013? I have visions of you sitting in a dark room by yourself for 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Yes, as we now have 3 strikers on the books fighting for 1 slot and a manager who'll quite happily pick a midfielder ahead of them for that place.

Ian Mac's analysis aside, surely this is a great bit of business for the club. We all know we're cash strapped so anyone with experience who can come in and hopefully make a difference has to be welcomed with open arms. Poor guy hasn't kicked a ball and is already starting to make an appearance on a future "worst signing of all times thread". Lambie's Mark Hughes "big bustling centre forward who will demolish defenders etc" still leads my list. Watching him getting carted off after a hefty challenge whilst playing against Pollok still brings a smile.

Anyway, let's get behind him and give him a f***ing chance!

You really are one of the most miserable b*stards I've ever come across. The last couple of years must have been really hard for you.

Can I ask how you celebrated our league win in 2013? I have visions of you sitting in a dark room by yourself for 2 weeks.

Merely stating the facts regarding our managers team selections. Stevenson should never start up front when Doolan is fit. Is that 4 times now it's happened? God help us if Eccleston doesny do it in his first few games as it'll be back to Stevenson. As for 2013, I sat up the canal maself drinking Frosty Jacks.

Edited by The Legend Blows

For those doubting Eccleston's abilities, a certain Lyle Taylor managed the princely sum of six goals whilst rattling about at a level well below what our new signing has been used to.

The key difference between Nathan Eccleston and Lyle Taylor is that the latter had at least proven himself in the First Division with Falkirk, scoring nearly 30 goals in one season at that level. He also played a reasonable number of games (mostly as sub to be fair) and scored a couple of goals in League One in England immediately before coming to Firhill last season. Compare that to Eccleston who has went from a youth team player at Liverpool to making just a handful of appearances and one goal in the last two seasons. Besides, you only need to look at our experience with Henoc Mukendi to know that being part of the youth set up at Liverpool is not necessarily an indication that a player is any good.

Hopefully he's ready to knuckle down and grab his chance at a professional career at whatever level he can and maybe win himself a move back down to the English Leagues. But I certainly don't think Eccelston is a sign of a step up in quality of player we are able to attract. He might turn out to be a good signing, but he's a complete gamble.

Good luck to him though :lol:

Oh and agree with the positive thing about him signing being that we will no longer see Stevenson playing up front. Doolan and Eccleston for the strikers role please. :thumbsup2:

Edited by soulful_jag
  • Like 1

I wonder if he will play in the wide behind the striker role. Reports say he is very quick.

Coventry fans saying he was very poor for them. League 1 down south is a step up from bottom six up here though.

I agree with comments saying it is bit of a gamble signing - lets hope it pays off. Archie is a good judge of a player and obviously rates this guy.

The key difference between Nathan Eccleston and Lyle Taylor is that the latter had at least proven himself in the First Division with Falkirk, scoring nearly 30 goals in one season at that level. He also played a reasonable number of games (mostly as sub to be fair) and scored a couple of goals in League One in England immediately before coming to Firhill last season.

Perhaps we should send Nathan on loan to a First Division club for half a season...

Eccleston's never had to play at that level because there's always been a who think he's capable of more. That's resulted in him scoring more than double the number of League One goals Lyle has in less appearances.

That's right...Lyle Taylor has 52 appearances and 2 goals in League One to his name. Eccleston has scored 6 goals in 49 appearances at that level.

Welcome to Firhill, Nathan.

It sounds like he might fit in on this board too:

On the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks Eccleston posted a tweet saying: "I ain't going to say attack don't let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS."[35] OTIS being an abbreviation for "Only The Illuminati Succeed"; the tweet implied Eccleston was a member of the 9/11 Truth movement.[35] Liverpool F.C. vowed to investigate Eccleston's actions.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Eccleston

The key difference between Nathan Eccleston and Lyle Taylor is that the latter had at least proven himself in the First Division with Falkirk, scoring nearly 30 goals in one season at that level. He also played a reasonable number of games (mostly as sub to be fair) and scored a couple of goals in League One in England immediately before coming to Firhill last season. Compare that to Eccleston who has went from a youth team player at Liverpool to making just a handful of appearances and one goal in the last two seasons. Besides, you only need to look at our experience with Henoc Mukendi to know that being part of the youth set up at Liverpool is not necessarily an indication that a player is any good.

Hopefully he's ready to knuckle down and grab his chance at a professional career at whatever level he can and maybe win himself a move back down to the English Leagues. But I certainly don't think Eccelston is a sign of a step up in quality of player we are able to attract. He might turn out to be a good signing, but he's a complete gamble.

Good luck to him though :lol:

Oh and agree with the positive thing about him signing being that we will no longer see Stevenson playing up front. Doolan and Eccleston for the strikers role please. :thumbsup2:

Yes, I'm aware of that. Point was that Taylor had a nomadic (and pretty unsuccessful) existence at a much inferior level prior to joining Falkirk where he scored for fun which indicates that basing any opinion on a player's history in the English lower leagues is foolhardy. I'm sure there were Falkirk fans questioning the decision to replace El Alagui with a guy whose only proven track record was in the Conference.

I have said previously that judging players crossing the border is foolish. There are countless examples of apparent English dross excelling up here and many examples of Scottish players tipped to succeed failing down south whilst others who were less rated made very good careers.

All we can do is hope he works out well.

Welcome to Firhill, Nathan. It sounds like he might fit in on this board too: On the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks Eccleston posted a tweet saying: "I ain't going to say attack don't let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS."[35] OTIS being an abbreviation for "Only The Illuminati Succeed"; the tweet implied Eccleston was a member of the 9/11 Truth movement.[35] Liverpool F.C. vowed to investigate Eccleston's actions.[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Eccleston

Absolutely terrible spelling and grammar. He even managed to spell OTIG incorrectly.

Apart from thinking we could have had 1 more CB.. I'm quite happy with the transfer window now. Hope the new guys get settled in nicely over the next week. Looking forward to seeing Eccleston in action, hopefully his signing puts the Stevenson as striker trial to bed, though I would still rather Dools be given a start as he has definitely earned it.. or who knows.. we could maybe play 2 strikers at once!!

Also this team means there will be plenty of opportunity's to get the younger guys some first team experience.

I'm making the trip up for the Inverness game and looking forward to getting behind the team!

Just in from watching the development squad win 4-3 v St johnstone,Chris Duggan scored a hat - trick,i haven't seem him a lot but when I have he has scored,if only he would pass the ball more he would be well worth a game.Difficult to tell about the New Lad,scored a nice goal but first touch wasn't great,time will tell,didnt look match fit so don't expect him to be starting before Kris anytime soon,which beggars the Question as to why we signed the lad so late?,sincerely hope that all turns out well for him.

Welcome to Firhill, Nathan.

It sounds like he might fit in on this board too:

On the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks Eccleston posted a tweet saying: "I ain't going to say attack don't let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS."[35] OTIS being an abbreviation for "Only The Illuminati Succeed"; the tweet implied Eccleston was a member of the 9/11 Truth movement.[35] Liverpool F.C. vowed to investigate Eccleston's actions.[

http://en.wikipedia....athan_Eccleston

Apart from the Iluminati bit i actually agree with him

Didnt look match fit so don't expect him to be starting before Kris anytime soon,which beggars the Question as to why we signed the lad so late?,sincerely hope that all turns out well for him.

Because we don't need him to start before Doolan? Hell, even Doolan isn't getting a game right now.

We weren't desperate to sign a striker because we needed one straight in the team - we needed cover/competition for Doolan; a striker who's proven himself to be good enough for this level.

Archie needs to stop the (failed) experiment of Stevenson as the lone striker and start Doolan. Eccleston and Duggan should be decent options from the bench/competing with Doolan.

Because we don't need him to start before Doolan? Hell, even Doolan isn't getting a game right now.

We weren't desperate to sign a striker because we needed one straight in the team - we needed cover/competition for Doolan; a striker who's proven himself to be good enough for this level.

Archie needs to stop the (failed) experiment of Stevenson as the lone striker and start Doolan. Eccleston and Duggan should be decent options from the bench/competing with Doolan.

Duggan won't start this season. Would be surprised if he even accumulated 90 mins first team football the whole season. Straight fight for 1 spot this season between Doolan and Eccleston. If neither is cuttin it, Stevenson will start. If none are available then anyone other than Duggan will start.

Edited by The Legend Blows

Eccleston will have benefited from the hour or so he was on. Looks quite two footed. Duggan was very good tonight scoring two goals in open play despite playing out of position. Some smashing goals tonight from both teams. our second (Duggan's first) was an absolute peach

Did Duggan and Eccleston play together in the team? If, so what formation? Was Eccleston wide or did we revert to a 4-4-2 or similar?

Toddled along to the game last night and was very encouraged by some of the youngsters' performances.

Eccleston looked a considerable distance away from match fitness but the 70 minutes will have been beneficial. He tried to play on the shoulder of the centre half but our reluctance to play any longer balls over the top meant many of his runs were futile. Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of the match and his goal but I saw enough to think that when fit, he should offer something that we don't currently have.

Elsewhere, I thought Wilson was a stand-out until going off injured and on that evidence, isn't far away from the first team. Lindsay is a hulking presence in defence and if he continues progressing, we won't need to worry about signing any centre-halves in January. Liked the look of McNally at right-back, some great runs but was silly to get involved in the goalmouth incident when on a booking.

Had heard good things about McMullin but was disappointed - at fault for the two goals that let St Johnstone back into a game that they had no right to be competing in and was weak in the tackle. He did overlap well on occasions, though. Noticed that he has an odd running gait that could cause him injuries.

You can't argue with Duggan's goal return which is very impressive but I'm still not totally sold on him. Holds onto the ball far too long in certain situations and tries to do too much himself but by a poacher's very nature, they're selfish so that isn't really surprising. Smashing first goal. Think he needs a loan spell at a level where he'll be playing every week; Morton could do a lot worse than pair him with the boy McManus from Aberdeen.

Did Duggan and Eccleston play together in the team? If, so what formation? Was Eccleston wide or did we revert to a 4-4-2 or similar?

Looked to me like they were playing alongside each other with Duggan perhaps dropping slightly deeper at times in the first half.

• Like 1

Armand 2 sums it up well. I thought Duggan and McDaid were playing in Higgy/Lawless roles, which is far more suited to McDaid.

Was thinking rather unkindly last night that the youngsters were emulating the 1st team in more ways than one. That was about letting a lead slip and not seeing a game out. On reflection that was as much to do with Wilson picking up a knock and giving the younger ones game time.