Mcnamarra- 22 Months On

thebiglemon

There was a lot of bile flying around after he left and took 2 players with him.

How do we all feel about him now.

My view:

• He put a great team and ethos in place for us
  • He left for a better league, bigger club and bigger wage (who wouldn't)
  • He took Erskine and Paton to make a success of his post

No hard feelings???

• Like 1

I didn't resent him leaving but I don't like him. Archie comes across with much more integrity and would rather have him as manager. We'll never know how the results would have gone had he stayed, but Archie won the league with an unprecedented run of eight straight wins and I find it hard to believe that it would have happened either way.

I'll be forever grateful to him for putting the wheels in motion for our promotion. We'll never know if he would've got us over the line, but, importantly, he took us up to the line - which had eluded us for so many seasons.

I was disappointed with the way it played out over compensation and that does sour the way I think of him as a manager. Taking two very good players from us was a bit shit too, don't like when managers do that, but sadly it happens.

So I appreciate what he did for us when manager, but he's treated us as a club with very little respect since. I don't resent him for taking the Dundee United job, but I am bitter about the way he went about it.

So mixed emotions.

There was a lot of bile flying around after he left and took 2 players with him.

My view:

No hard feelings???

No hard feelings at all because football's a mercenary business from top to bottom, and that's a fact.

In a short space of time he took Thistle further forward. He transformed the team and the tactics and that was refreshing to witness.

I've always said that there is a story not being told about his departure, given the very strange (to me) Sunday Times interview that came out the week before he left.

Archie has thankfully taken his good work to another level, but to deny that JaggyMac put the foundations in place for what we have achieved since April 2011 would be churlish and uncharitable.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

I remember I was on holiday when I heard that Pressley was favourite and I thought Jackie was staying, I was absolutely gutted the next day when I heard Jackie was off. I remember just thinking that was all chances of winning the league over and was bloody raging! That 1st half of the season was the best football I've seen us play since I started goin in 1992. I can't blame him for leaving or taking Paton and Erskine, that's just what happens.Nobody really knows what happened with all the contract stuff so I wasn't one of the eejits booing or shouting 'scum scum scum'at him on the first day of the season.

Left for a bigger job but left Thistle in pretty good shape although Archie still had work to do in delivering the title..

He gets his teams to play football the right way which is a good thing for the game here and for young footballing talent who will get a chance in his teams.

The young talented midfielder Telfer who was developed at Rangers left because he will get a chance to play first team football and play in a team that won't see him see the ball fly over his head throughout the game.

Like Jackie it got nasty with regards compensation for Telfer which probably makes folk more angry.

It's all part of football, hero one minute and villain the next.

Moulded the team that won the league, built a winning spirit throughout the club and brought an attacking style of football. Archie got the credit for crossing the line but to suggest that Archie would have been able to build a team capable of winning is just stupid. McNamara could get the best out of players, take Bannigan as an example, he hasn’t played the same since Jackie left and to all intents and purposes his career is finished. McNamara was a sad loss just a pity that Archie never got enough time to pick up some real management tips.

• Like 1

The timing of his departure was dissapointing but no complaints about going to a bigger club, wage etc or taking our players.

Got to give him credit he got us challenging for promotion. Would he have got us up? who knows but Archie pulled back the gap to morton, won promotion, kept us up, and doing alright again this season.

I think we've been lucky not just with managers but also by the timing of their departure. Regardless of the reason for his departure, McCall laid foundations if not exactly infrastructure. Being safe in the league McNamara wasn't exactly thrown in at the deep end. Most managers leave when times are bad so he was lucky in that regard.

Driven by ambition no doubt, McNamara had the time and thus the opportunity to develop the playing side dramatically. He did an excellent job in that respect. It would be unfair and possibly wrong to suggest he had taken us as far as he could when he left. That said Archie came in without the benefit of time, made the squad a good bit more street wise and got us promoted.

I feel it's correct to say that we wouldn't have got promoted without McNamara but neither would we have had he stayed. It's maybe a bit early to assess how well he's doing at Tannadice. He did inherit some exceptional players but it looks like he's doing OK up there. Just maybe tho' there's still a delicate side to United, kinda like we had when he was with us.

Anyway enough of McNamara. Surely this thread is ideal for some Archie bashing?

• Like 3

I was happy with him while he was with us, and enraged by the classless departure he made in equal measure.

Something we'll never know is, would he have taken us to the title? What we do know for certain is that Alan Archibald - a Partick Thistle man - did, and did so with true class.

McNamara, in my opinion, earned himself the lifetime tag of 'snake' simply by treating us with the open contempt he showed us, firstly by allowing the release of pictures of his pre-contract acquisitions who were actively involved in a 'down to the wire' title challenge with us; secondly, by mendaciously thumbing his nose at us over our legitimate claim for compensation which, evidently, was his own responsibility; and lastly, by audaciously and grubbily attempting to claim from us some mythical compo of his own on the back of a certain Mr Archibald taking us to the title.

In summary, yes, he set in place the building blocks of a work in progress: building blocks which necessitated realisation by someone other than himself. Yet, when his opportunity to show some degree of class and dignity presented itself, he fcuked it all up and showed himself to be a weasily, cash-crazed wee tadger. Get it right up him.

• Like 3

My view:

No hard feelings???

Good riddance.

Moulded the team that won the league, built a winning spirit throughout the club and brought an attacking style of football. Archie got the credit for crossing the line but to suggest that Archie would have been able to build a team capable of winning is just stupid. McNamara could get the best out of players, take Bannigan as an example, he hasn’t played the same since Jackie left and to all intents and purposes his career is finished. McNamara was a sad loss just a pity that Archie never got enough time to pick up some real management tips.

You really do talk some pish, don't you?

take Bannigan as an example, he hasn’t played the same since Jackie left and to all intents and purposes his career is finished.

You've posted this in a couple of threads now looking for a bite. If you're going to troll, at least try to come up with a point you can argue.

The same people that moan about McNamara leaving for a bigger job are the same that want us to give Archie a job for life, regardless of results. What a surprise.

McNamara was a very good appointment for us. He signed some good players, got us winning games and had us playing some nice football.

If we'd have appointed some diddy like Allan Moore when McCall left they we'd still be kicking about the Championship.

Let’s be absolutely clear here – Alan Archibald did not simply take us over the finishing line in 2012-13. He inherited a team that was struggling on the road and transformed our season by getting great results every single week, home and away.

The team spirit instilled by Archie was palpable from the word go. I doubt his 19 League games unbeaten run will ever be bettered as the start for a new manager.

As for McNamara – there’ll be no kind words from me. This was the man who even screwed over the team he supported for Wolves. That he did the same to Thistle should have come as no surprise to anyone.

All throughout history there have been a countless number of men who’ve moved on from Thistle for financial reasons – nobody ever holds a grudge against these men if they’ve been honest and fair with their conduct.

I’ll reserve my words of praise for men who are worthy.

105pkiv.jpg

• Like 7

Let’s be absolutely clear here – Alan Archibald did not simply take us over the finishing line in 2012-13. He inherited a team that was struggling on the road and transformed our season by getting great results every single week, home and away.

I doubt his 19 League games unbeaten run will ever be bettered as the start for a new manager.

^ Agreed and don't forget his magic fog machine! We can agree and disagree about managerial signings, selections, tactics, substitutions etc. But everyone should agree that his unbeaten run was simply amazing, the best that I can remember.

Archibald got us promoted when we could have faltered and kept us up last season on a tight budget. His service to the club has been excellent. He deserves our support in bad times as well as good but we're okay at the moment.

This season is another typical Thistle roller coaster - as unpredictable, heart-stopping and frustrating as ever. We have experienced a lot worse so let's enjoy in the ride even though it could get bumpier.

• Like 1

The same people that moan about McNamara leaving for a bigger job are the same that want us to give Archie a job for life, regardless of results. What a surprise.

Can't say i've seen anyone moan about him leaving for a bigger Club, or anyone say Archie should be given a job for life.

Who are these people?

• Like 1