End Of Season Collapse?

brodieboy

Hamilton game aside, where we were playing a team who were unsettled, we've really lost our way recently.

There aren't any scapegoats. Just widespread loss of form and confidence across the squad.

Fox - has looked shaky all season

O'Donnell - has forgotten how and when to defend properly under pressure

Frans - either he's unfit or he's strugling to settle in. After a strong start, he looks completely lost

Seaborne - can't seem to play 2 or 3 games in a row and disappears from the squad without any reason given

Balatoni - isn't really premiership standard

Bannigan - rarely have I seen a player lose his way so badly. Just where has his swagger, hard tackling and ball control gone?

Higgy - looks genuinely fed up, as if he's given up on his team mates and the club as a whole

Osman - isn't as solid as he once was at the start of the season. Again, looks a bit like a player who's had enough at Firhill

Craigen - a nice lad. But I'm afraid he's not a premiership footballer

Elliott - workhorse, but very limited going forward

McMillan - PotY before his suspension

The rest have been OK, off and on.

Archibald - hasn't found a consistent starting eleven in nearly a year now. We should be aiming for a settled eleven and it would be great to try a different formation (4-4-2 or 5-3-2)

The board - I wonder if they're starting to look at the crowds and the performances with greater concern. We're only 2 or 3 defeats away from finding ourselves in the same position Hibs were in last year. Ask any Hibs fan and he'll tell you the manager should have been given his marching orders long before he was.

Dens Park is huge now

• Like 2

My main concern about Archie is he FAILS to rectify obvious problems.

its a joke to watch and as someone said on another thread we shouldn't be using losing to celtic as papering over the cracks. Archie is not up to the job and every player needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Very few have had pass marks the last 4 games which is embarrassing not Jst for us but for themselves. If players think they can go on to bigger and better things then they are kidding themselves on (higgy)

We were poor against Kilmarnock, then St mirren , even worse v Inverness and now poor v Celtic

So forget tonight on its own the trend is the point and its poor

You can add St. Johnstone away to that. Stevenson's effort on to the bar aside, we had nothing on goal the whole game.

For what it's worth, I don't think Archibald should be sacked, yet. But we need to find some sort of resource to propel ourselves

A change of tactics, a new defence coach, fresh training ground moves or some decent luck in front of goal. Have we had a penalty this season?

Have we had a penalty this season?

should have had one tonight, how the ref couldn't give it from a few yards away beggars belief. Mind you he ignored another blatant handball later as well

we would still have lost, but GMS was offside for the 2nd goal, and Foxy was clearly fouled a few seconds before the 3rd, yet the ref chose to play on (advantage!!)

• Like 1

I honestly think a Hibs style collapse is very unlikely. Yes, we've lost 3 in a row, but two have been against top 3 sides. I also saw some positives in Elliot, Taylor and McDaid especially. Not too despondent after such a disheartening start.

It would be nice to have a settled back 5 for at least a few games, though. Very hard to be consistent in defence when we have to change it as often as we do (i.e. every bloody match).

• Like 2

We were poor against Kilmarnock, then St mirren , even worse v Inverness and now poor v Celtic

So forget tonight on its own the trend is the point and its poor

The trend is the point,

If you take the time to examine the global picture for the season then the trend is about average.

That's if you're prepared to take the time.

And if you're not then just enjoy a good whinge.

The trend is the point,

If you take the time to examine the global picture for the season then the trend is about average.

It's average before now....below average in the last four games .....but don't let facts get in the way

As I said on the "Stats" thread, we are eerily consistent in our gathering of points, so I'm not too worried about any possible "collapse" towards the end of the season. Just looking at this season, we have collected at least 1/3 of all points we played for each month;

• Aug - 4 from 12 - 33%
  • Sep - 3 from 9 - 33%
  • Oct - 4 from 9 - 44%
  • Nov - 4 from 9 - 44%
  • Dec - 5 from 15 - 33%
  • Jan - 5 from 15 - 33%

I've no doubt if we're dragged right down into the mire we're not the best equipped team to scrape results. St Mirren beat us by bringing us down to their level, playing desperate stuff but getting away with it. To be quite honest if we had to play the rest of the season like St Mirren, Kilmarnock and what I imagine Ross County will be like just to stay in the division I really couldn't care if we stayed up or not.

Think we were simply beaten by a better side tonight. Celtic's movement was the best by far I've seen from an opposing team this season. Much improved from when they beat us 0-6. We're maybe a tad unlucky to have lost by three goals. Most stonewall penalty since Goodwin's last season.

Don't feel I'm totally clutching at straws when I say there was at least a few positives tonight, something we haven't had against St Mirren and ICT. Certainly a much better performance in the 2nd half.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

The trend is the point,

I've no doubt if we're dragged right down into the mire we're not the best equipped team to scrape results. St Mirren beat us by bringing us down to their level, playing desperate stuff but getting away with it. To be quite honest if we had to play the rest of the season like St Mirren, Kilmarnock and what I imagine Ross County will be like just to stay in the division I really couldn't care if we stayed up or not.

Think we were simply beaten by a better side tonight. Celtic's movement was the best by far I've seen from an opposing team this season. Much improved from when they beat us 0-6. We're maybe a tad unlucky to have lost by three goals. Most stonewall penalty since Goodwin's last season.

Don't feel I'm totally clutching at straws when I say there was at least a few positives tonight, something we haven't had against St Mirren and ICT. Certainly a much better performance in the 2nd half.

too much sense for tonight ..... we're dooooooooomed don't you know (© knickerwetters)

We're on a bad run. However, that doesn't mean an "end of season collapse" is probable or even likely. Such a run also assumes everyone else is doing significantly better than we are. I don't think that is the case with Ross Co or Motherwell (I would also have said St Murn until the dreadful result against them, which was probably the most disappointing since we came back up - but even there, we have a cushion).

Best to forget about last night. Goal after a minute, and the players looked nervous and rushed all night - because they knew Celtic were stronger, faster and basically better than them.

Getting Taylor in will almost certainly be positive for us from now till end of season. We need a few players to pick up some form and confidence. At the moment everyone looks off.

This is where you and I fundamentally disagree Miss. Much as I enjoyed, and felt some pride in, the style with which we won promotion, I understood that it could bring circumstantial change which might have direct affect on our priorities and operation.

For example, over the last couple of years we've lost key players due to their good play for us, because we cannot offer competitive salaries, and every club in our division is at a similar, better, or far better level of stature and finicial clout.

When I hear managment or players claim, "we are pushing for top 6", I accept that as positive ambiton which has some propect of fruitition given the talent remaining in the squad. However, we must, as supporters recognise that our record fee payed for a player was less than £100,000 and over 20 years ago.

I'm willing to give the club more than a couple of years grace, ( and years of my own personal frustration ) in order to consolidate our place in the top flight.

If playing 11 fat, one legged, volunteers on our own goal line guaranteed survival for a couple of years I'd say do it.

Don't forget the first division, as fun as it could be at times, we've been there long enough. It's time to move on.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz