What's More Important? Staying In The Spl Or Playing Good Football?

LambieIsGod

We are going through a torrid time at the moment. Not enjoyable at all. Crap football, questionable commitment from some of the players and no win in sight, I have followed the Jags for many years and seen some poor performances, but today was up there. Ross County looked so poor at times, yet we couldn't come close to competing with them. There are some interesting posts on this forum where fans have expressed their fear of being relegated and want to stay in the SPL at all costs. This begs the question, what would you take.....guaranteed SPL status by playing kick and hope football, or relegation with the guarantee of quality carpet football again?

For me, it's an entertainment business and too many games recently have failed to deliver value for money. Regardless of the results, and our SPL status, we need good football back at Firhill, quickly.

I would take staying up by playing sh1te football at the moment. Not since 1970 has relegation ever been good for Thistle.

In fact at the moment I would say a total change in ethos is needed in our approach to games.Teams are beating us by sitting back ,being defensive and hitting us on the counter attack.We should adopt the same tactic. We're changing formation systems and personnel far too much during matches because what we are doing isn't working.We need to do unto others what they are doing to us to get points.

We can forget the pretty stuff this season, it's gonna be brutal. Our creative players are off form and we are creating nothing so sit back and break quick getting the ball to LT in the box.Every point has to be scrapped for now, what we are doing is failing.

If we can 0-0 our way to safety I would take it.

For those of a certain age the Bertie Auld era certainly stretched the good football/survival equation to its limit - albeit Auld had, I believe, rather better players who perhaps were not allowed to express themselves or play to their individual strengths and flair was sacrificed on the alter of staying up - it was only a 10 team league and two went down so "needs must" I suspect.

Nowadays the financial gulf between divisions and telly money means "success" is even more obviously measured by the league you are in and not necessarily by the talent on the pitch so I suspect the answer might have to be "play a crap style of game but stay up at all costs".

Seems a pity though.

For those of a certain age the Bertie Auld era certainly stretched the good football/survival equation to its limit - albeit Auld had, I believe, rather better players who perhaps were not allowed to express themselves or play to their individual strengths and flair was sacrificed on the alter of staying up - it was only a 10 team league and two went down so "needs must" I suspect.

Nowadays the financial gulf between divisions and telly money means "success" is even more obviously measured by the league you are in and not necessarily by the talent on the pitch so I suspect the answer might have to be "play a crap style of game but stay up at all costs".

Seems a pity though.

Nobody's fault but ours..

Should have been a permanent 'top 6' fixture by now with the opportunities we have had this season.

Nobody's fault but ours.. Should have been a permanent 'top 6' fixture by now with the opportunities we have had this season.

Agree entirely, we have had so many chances to put the relegation issue to bed and blown them all. I really hate to say it, but some of the defending today was Keystone Kops and rightly or wrongly gave the impression that most of the players have jacked it in.

I've never been a believer in conspiracy theories etc. and much prefer more prosaic explanations, but I've got to say (and its been noticeable for a couple of months now) the spirit in the side seems to have gone South for the winter.

In retrospect it seems that the good performances against United and Hamilton were the exceptions lately and I genuinelly fear for our survival.

Still I wouldn't advocate getting rid of Archie for the plain an simple reason that I'm not aware of anyone who'd come in and make an astounding difference.

Imo the squad we have is good enough to play good football and stay in the league.Why we are now on a losing streak and can see no end to it is a mystery although there is a lot of theories going around.Whatever the reason it can still be sorted out if the management and team can get it together.Any problems in the dressing room can surely be put to one side and sorted out once we are safe(if that is the reason for the slump).

To be honest it's a silly question, as it assumes that any football supporter would voluntarily wish to see their,side being relegated? I accept that this was maybe not the spirit in which the post was made, even if it could be construed that way.q

Geezo, still resigned....you must have too much time on your hands to bother commenting whilst not wishing to actually participate in the thread. It's a hypothetical question, meant to encourage discussion. I meant to assume nothing, and works certainly not 'voluntarily' wish to see my side demoted. I was merely asking a question to engage with fellow Jags fans. I'll try not to be so silly next time. This forum is quickly becoming similar to a classroom, full of naughty schoolboys (me) and strict teachers (you). Try and answer the question in the spirit it was meant. It's more fun!

If we were playing poor football and walking away with points I wouldn't have many complaints. Winning is the most important thing. Although I have said that I don't know how St Johnstone fans turn up, given what they have had to watch for years. I'd much rather we played better football and lost the odd game because of it. If we play good football, we will win more games - I think the two go hand in hand. Our problem is for a while (outwith Hamilton which is an exception under their circumstances and us scoring almost all our chances) we have played poorly AND not got results.

I just want to see a team where Archie thinks "@#@# it, let's go for this" and puts out O'Donnell, Frans, Seaborne, Bannigan, Fraser, Osman, Lawless, Stevenson, Higginbotham and Taylor. Giving Banzo and O'Donnell as much freedom as they want to go forward from full back. Not making our forward wingers play wing backs when we have two FB's. Allowing Stevenson a free role and not having to constantly cover in for Osman's poor passing.

If we still lost then at least we tried and eventually it will click - but at least try Archie.

If we were playing poor football and walking away with points I wouldn't have many complaints. Winning is the most important thing. Although I have said that I don't know how St Johnstone fans turn up, given what they have had to watch for years. I'd much rather we played better football and lost the odd game because of it. If we play good football, we will win more games - I think the two go hand in hand. Our problem is for a while (outwith Hamilton which is an exception under their circumstances and us scoring almost all our chances) we have played poorly AND not got results.

I just want to see a team where Archie thinks "@#@# it, let's go for this" and puts out O'Donnell, Frans, Seaborne, Bannigan, Fraser, Osman, Lawless, Stevenson, Higginbotham and Taylor. Giving Banzo and O'Donnell as much freedom as they want to go forward from full back. Not making our forward wingers play wing backs when we have two FB's. Allowing Stevenson a free role and not having to constantly cover in for Osman's poor passing.

If we still lost then at least we tried and eventually it will click - but at least try Archie.

All these players were playing on Saturday apart from Lawless , you can't have your full backs bombing forward without any cover , how many times has O'Donnell been caught up the park this season instead of defending ?, which has resulted on us losing a goal . After Saturday it kinda looks like we've now got 2 centre halves who can't defend either. If you're going to play with 2 holding midfielders to protect the back 4 then the rest of the midfielders should be bursting a gut to support the front players or even making runs to get beyond them, for some reason that just doesn't happen in our team.

I agree with much of what has been said here. Saturday was my first opportunity to watch a game this season and apart from leaving feeling dejected was it felt to me that we just weren't trying. I just want to know we're giving it our all and from what I've taken on board from what you boys talk about, this wasn't the only match where we were missing performances from key players.

• Like 1

I don't think deep down anyone would want to accept a defeat while playing good football over a scrappy win and three points however it is an interesting question.

I remember saying after losing 4-1 at Tannadice last season that the way we played in the first 20 minutes of the second half made the trip to Dundee worthwhile. Some of the football we played last season, especially pre Christmas, was fantastic but we didn't get the results to go with it. This season has been strange, even with a few resounding wins, I don't think we have reached the level of footballing performance of some our matches last season.

In the second half of last season we played less football and started to get more points on the board. The management had decided to take some flair out of our play and make us more difficult to beat and I think they have continued to do that this season, perhaps becoming more negative. I personally think we could still have succeeded playing the way we started but we'll never know.

My answer to the question? Heart says playing good football, head says stay in the SPFL. Like everybody I would like to see both and, as others have said, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Edited by Jag

Well, obviously staying in the upper echelons of the game by staying in the Premiership is more important than playing good football at this moment in time. The increased finances available to us from doing so are massive ti a club like ours and allow us the opportunity to cement ourselves as a Kilmarnock or a Dundee United, teams who go through their bad times as well but do so within the top division. Once we have achieved this, hopefully over the next few season's then we can move on and get back to the free flowing, exciting football that we saw in the Championship winning season, but unfortunately we're not there yet. Staying up will give us a platform to move on next season, and the seasons after it, and hopefully grow as a team and a club into being the top 6, cup winning club that we all want Thistle to be. If we have to sacrifice some stylistic points at the moment then so be it.

The problem we have currently is that we're not playing a style which suits us. We should aim to get the ball down, attack quickly down the wings and get the ball into the box, but instead we're playing it long, or over-complicating it when we do play it short.

Establishing ourselves as a Premier League side is the most important goal for Partick Thistle to progress.

Fans preferring to play the likes of Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and Alloa every week while playing attractive football but going nowhere is exactly the psychology which will never allow us to develop as a Club.

We were away from the top flight for too long, witnessed some dreadful seasons and games and came out the back end but we made our way back.

And I'm up for fighting to stay there.

• Like 2