Lyle Taylor

Lindau

If Jackie signs Taylor the DU fans will not be happy imo. Six months ago they were looking to challenge Celtic. He's lost GMS and Armstrong, now Ciftci and still signing thistle players two and a half years after leaving us.

LT is waiting for a better offer, safe in the knowledge that good old Thistle will take him as a back up option if he can't make more money.

I'd love to have him at the club but Archie is right to put a deadline on it and move on.

there's also possibly the likelihood scunny are holding out to see what size of transfer fee they can get. if they think or know there's other english or scottish clubs interested in signing taylor, they'll try hold out for the highest bid. fact he is under contract to them for another year, all initial contact from interested clubs have to go through club channels, so scunny will know who's sniffing about, so may be playing the long game, and knowing there's a good chance if all other moves fail, ptfc could still be there to sign him for whatever fee we'd agreed previously.

but yes, getting a bid tired with the long drawn out pursuit of lyle, agree archie needs to set a deadline date and stick to it, and in meantime crank up his pursuit of alternative targets.

we're a big club now, or a bigger club than we have been for a good while, so now we have to start acting like it. even if we can't offer high end wages :wacko:

(perhaps we should send kingsley down to scunny and scare the brown smelly stuff out their board, an angry demonic sungod on acid is not to be messed with)

• Like 1

Didn't someone say we had "first option" on Taylor this season? What does this really mean?

It means nothing. Even if we get the right to be the first to make an offer (and it can't mean more than that) they will be aware of other clubs' interest and what they are likely to be able to offer - so will hold of agreeing to accept our offer until they see if they can get a better one.

Would love Taylor to sign up, but it's getting too close to the start of the season. The way Taylor was talking in the ET a few weeks ago about the club going for top 6 this season I thought he was a cert to sign. Archie or Maxi should phone him and say we need an answer now, not in 3 weeks. If it's no, we move on. Horrible feeling he will end up at Tannadice

Horrible feeling he will end up at Tannadice

The leg biter is off to Porkheid, hope Rat boy doesn't go for Taylor. I think they may need a bigger name though to appease the United fans and they do have 1.5 million to spend. JMac's jaiket might be on a shakey peg if they don't get off to a flyer.

He's massively overrated by a lot of our supporters. Much in the same way Doolan is massively underrated.

Lyle Taylor is better than Doolan is though.

If we can't get him then so be it, and we'll surely have other targets lined up after what happened last season with us panicking and ending up with Ecclestone, but I'd still hope we don't entirely close the door to him.

He's massively overrated by a lot of our supporters. Much in the same way Doolan is massively underrated.

what you basing that on otig?

always been curious about dools and taylors stats, so perfect time to ask this.

so to the stattos .....

what is doolans goal ratio to minutes on the pitch for season just ended?

and dools goal ratio to minutes on pitch for season 2013/14?

his assists ratio to minutes for 2014/15?

and assists ratio to minutes for 2013/14?

same four queries for taylor.

-

Edited by yoda-jag

If we can't get him then so be it, and we'll surely have other targets lined up after what happened last season with us panicking and ending up with Ecclestone, but I'd still hope we don't entirely close the door to him.

Taylor is better at the physical aspects of the game and is faster than Doolan, but Doolan is a much better footballer. He's better at finishing, he has a better touch and he's got more of a 'football brain'.

I like Taylor, he is a completely different striker to Doolan so I'd be at pains to hold any statistical comparison with merit.

there's no exact science to it for comparing them potty , as they two different types of players with different attributes and strengths, won't disagree on that, but it would still be a useful set of stats to know.

perhaps an additional way of analysing it would be .....

for each of the last two seasons, based on time kris spent on pitch, what was score for that period of each game. and how many points would that equate to.

same for taylor.

then pro-rata or equalise their ratios to get a reasonable comparison (given taylor only had a seasons worth maximum of game opportunity).

would give at the least, another indicator of how each dools and taylor influenced our play and results.

we know they spent relatively little time on pitch together as any type of partnership, so don't think that would distort stats much either.

Edited by yoda-jag

Taylor is better at the physical aspects of the game and is faster than Doolan, but Doolan is a much better footballer. He's better at finishing, he has a better touch and he's got more of a 'football brain'.

100% agree with these posts.

I'm not going to lose sleep if we don't sign Taylor. Nor will I if he should sign for another team in the Premiership. I don't see why his signing is so imperative for the forth coming season according to some in our support.

I want Doolan to be our number one this season. The way I'd feel if Dools were ever to sign for another team in the Premiership compared to Taylor is so far beyond night and day it's ridiculous.

Edited by northernsoul
  • Like 1