Jags Vs Ict 21/03/2015

Paulo

Its really difficult to seee how if crowds keep declining we can maintain full time football @ Firhill? Not that I would want to go part-time, however I was just thinking that our bad times really began when we returned to full time football under Peter Cormack! Think thats an example of correlation as oppossed to causal effect.

However, if we're only going to have a core support of 2K that's really, really troubling. Thing is our away support still tends to be reasonable, seems as a club we're a mass of contradictions- plus c'a change!

Back to back wins at last, coupled with back to back shutouts at Firhill to boot!!

Two league wins in the same month for the first time in two years as well.

Well done the Jags - we're finally on a roll!

Yeah, we're finally on a roll and we get an international break followed by Aberdeen and Celtic away. Typical, eh?

My point is our core in the top league should be a 1000 more than today's attendance. It looks to me that our core is closer to 2000. Which is very worrying considering we're in the top league and doing OK.

Thistle must have one of the worst supports-to-city-size ratios in the country. Is this just because the Old Firm strangle the life out of everything in the whole area?

Admittedly not knowing the precise home supports of clubs, only the overall attendances so far this season, will probably confuse the figures, but as far as I can see, the Dundee clubs draw in 9.5% of the city to see them. Aberdeen attracts around 6% of the city to Pittodrie. On the other hand, 0.5% of Glasgow are interested in Thistle.

Of course, Clyde, Clydebank, Hamilton, Motherwell, Airdrie, St Mirren and Greenock will all have similarly suffered losses to the Old Firm disproportionately to the rest of the country (though you'll still find a Celtic shop in every town in the country).

What will change this? Maybe a nicer stadium and some silverware? Neither did bugger all for St Mirren, really.

Today was a beautiful day: sunny, mild, perfect for football - and we had a good win last week which should have been encouraging. I happen to know that a mate of mine who doesn't normally go to football games took his boy to today's game (as he'd been moaning about going to see a football game - thank goodness we won) so it wasn't our core - in fact a guy sitting beside me was down in Glasgow from Dingwall and dropped by hoping to see Inverness get beat. My point is our core in the top league should be a 1000 more than today's attendance. It looks to me that our core is closer to 2000. Which is very worrying considering we're in the top league and doing OK.

Considering the weather was fantastic yesterday, I can't remember ever sitting at a match at Firhill in mid March with my jacket off and shades on, the crowd was really poor. I think it's solely down to the costs. As per every home game, £44 for me and my son, £3 for the programme, £3 for the 50/50, £2 for a flat Irn Bru and petrol money means I have little change out of £60 for a home game. A lot of people just can't afford that type of outlay for a 90 minute game of football! Sad fact of life

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 6

Not that it makes one iota of difference most weeks but we could really do with a regular derby type game. That would at least boost overall attendances.

One by one those games have disappeared. Clyde way back would get fans turning out in numbers. Grudge matches against Killie also a thing of the past. Not that I can see us playing league games against either but Airdrie like Clyde have little support left. St Mirren/Jags are too pally to consider as derby rivals and besides it's looking ever more likely that we won't be playing the Buddies next season. Good bit of rivalry with Morton but again games with them are unlikely too soon.

Other poorly attended clubs like Accies have Motherwell, ICT and County have each other and St Johnstone have both the Dundee clubs with attendances of circa 7000.

From the commercial aspect alone it must be worrying if we lose St Mirren and Motherwell especially as it's not inconceivable we could have Q o S in the top flight next season.

• Like 1

QOS might not be that bad. They seem to have a decent travelling support. Admittedly it probably won't be as good as Hibs, although I think they were under 1,000 both times last season. As has been mentioned before, last season we had Celtic, Aberdeen,Hearts, Hibs,Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock all twice at Firhill last season. This season it has been Hamilton,Ross County,Inverness and St J

• Like 1

Considering the weather was fantastic yesterday, I can't remember ever sitting at a match at Firhill in mid March with my jacket off and shades on, the crowd was really poor. I think it's solely down to the costs. As per every home game, £44 for me and my son, £3 for the programme, £3 for the 50/50, £2 for a flat Irn Bru and petrol money means I have little change out of £60 for a home game. A lot of people just can't afford that type of outlay for a 90 minute game of football! Sad fact of life

I agree and I hope that if we do stay up the club might consider varying prices for different parts of the ground and lower them for some.

The attitude from scottish clubs to falling attendances has seemed to have been, "it's not our fault, this is what it costs to run a club so those left must pay up.". Perhaps that's an inaccurate assessment, but constantly when one suggests it's too expensive the hard line of "no it's not, you know nothing about what it takes, pay up or shut up" is the short response.

Those who are able or are stretching their own finances to commit to season tickets can only be squeezed so much. I beleive what has happened for a long time is that clubs have set prices for individual games based on what they think they can extort from their most loyal fans and not by offering a competitive or attractive price to those unable to attend every week. Clubs must recognise and act on the fact that although season ticket sales are crucial, not all those willing to pay are willing or able to commit and those who are should be respected and perhaps rewarded with more than an ever diminishing admission discount.

I can't recall the last time i did not get an astonished, dismissive, "how much!?!" from those who did not know the regular price for a top flight or first division game.

Discount the North stand and offer the season ticket holders more exclusivity (Aitken suite members bar for example), but i doubt it will happen. Tag may eventually be a good revenue generator but I strongly believe it has been missed opportunity, has yet to really impress those who bought it and may well be contributing to distancing the casual fan. It could have been quite the opposite.

Of course a successful winning team is the most important and attractive thing, but not everyone can afford the best. Kids go free, brilliant. OAPs and students(?) pay less, great... for them. But, 22 quid or feck off is p1ss poor, for most of the "casual" fans.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Not to boast or anything, but I've been to 3 matches in 2015. Thistle have scored 9 goals, conceded 0 and taken 9 points.

Enough with the conspiracy theories about trouble in the dressing room. Clearly I am our talisman.

Ipso facto I am the anti-talisman, or whatever else you might term somebody who's been to Firhill approx 15 times since the midweek league clincher v Morton, and yet to inhale the fragrant aroma of victory.

Groan...

Just watched the highlights. Booth made a couple of good runs deep into their half. Good save by Fox in the 1st half. Stevenson unlucky on a couple of occasions. Balatoni must be first on the team sheet in his current form.

Managed to grind out an ugly win, for once.

Where did you watch the highlights? Thought earliest is BBC on website around 6pm

There were c 2500 Thistle fans there yesterday. Let's focus on that being a good thing? We have an absolute ceiling of 3500 fans. To be attracting 70% of them on a regular basis is a decent achievement compared to other clubs who have much bigger latent fan bases.

All this wasted energy on dreaming up ideas to get people to come back. They know were Firhill is. If they want do something else, good luck to them.

There were c 2500 Thistle fans there yesterday. Let's focus on that being a good thing? We have an absolute ceiling of 3500 fans. To be attracting 70% of them on a regular basis is a decent achievement compared to other clubs who have much bigger latent fan bases.

All this wasted energy on dreaming up ideas to get people to come back. They know were Firhill is. If they want do something else, good luck to them.

Well, why bother doing anything.

Well, why bother doing anything.

As someone who's been involved in marketing just sometimes you have to accept the cure can be worse than the illness. That of course would be rubbish if other clubs were by and large witnessing an upturn in fortunes and we were out on a limb. I suppose I'm sitting on the fence to a degree but I feel our club stewards should be, along with other clubs, petitioning the SFA /SPFL to get their act together.

Until someone comes up with a viable solution as to how we alone can increase our attendance without negatively affecting our revenue i feel the Club/Board should concentrate their attention on looking after the interests of those who do turn up. Sadly while our game is run by the likes of Regan and Doncaster I doubt there's little we can do on our own.

btw just perhaps yesterday's attendance was poorer than what would already have been a poor anticipated turn out could've been down to the egg chasing? Even someone like myself with little interest in rugby if I was stuck at home would've been watching one or two of the three games on TV.

"btw just perhaps yesterday's attendance was poorer than what would already have been a poor anticipated turn out could've been down to the egg chasing? Even someone like myself with little interest in rugby if I was stuck at home would've been watching one or two of the three games on TV. "

Even worse for us, we were actually at Murrayfield!! At least we heard last 20 mins updates on radio as we were stuck in car park waiting for HRH to leave before we could go!

Lawless' goal got a bigger cheer from us than Scotland got in the whole 80 mins!!!