Out Of Contract Players

ThickAsThieves

He was at Falkirk this year - doubt he's bothered by plastic.

Not sure Scully's ready yet (might need a season at Championship level) but would like to see him given a chance. If Hibs don't go up Cerny will probably be available; otherwise I'm sure there are plenty of decent goalies in the English lower leagues.

An interview with Balatoni seems to suggest that he is off at the end of the season. Big loss.

Interesting to see what will happen. We have Frans and Seaborne as our main centre backs with Lindsay and Richards-Everton as back up - think Archie will just go with that? With Seaborne's injury it would put Lindsay into a serious role. I think he will come good and is probably ready but a bit of a risk.

Imagine Archie won't be increasing Balatoni's contract offer given we have quite a few centre backs anyway but would be a big loss given his recent form, and more importantly, his playing relationship with Frans.

Interesting to see what will happen. We have Frans and Seaborne as our main centre backs with Lindsay and Richards-Everton as back up - think Archie will just go with that? With Seaborne's injury it would put Lindsay into a serious role. I think he will come good and is probably ready but a bit of a risk.

Imagine Archie won't be increasing Balatoni's contract offer given we have quite a few centre backs anyway but would be a big loss given his recent form, and more importantly, his playing relationship with Frans.

I imagine that Archie will decide whether to strengthen the central defence once he knows if Abdul is going to stay.

If O'Donnell, Balatoni and Fox decide to go and Booth returns to Hibs and leaves there for pastures new then obviously a complete re-cast of the back 4 will be required - that happens and is the nature of the game. It will be up to the manager and the board to decide how to spend the (relatively paltry) sum of money that is available.

We now know that the "prize" money for 8th is coming our way (7th is extremely unlikely but still a tiny possibility). Income will be down this season mainly due to lower home attendances, but with Hearts being promoted and perhaps the teams with slightly larger followings due twice at Firhill next season (Glasgow C., Hearts, Aberdeen, possibly Hibs) then perhaps the budget could be marginally higher than this season.

Players will decide what is best for them in financial and, usually, playing terms so there is little that can be done if they get "better" offers.

Edited by JeanieD

If we can't get Taylor I see that Kane Hemmings has been freed by Barnsley. He was very good for Cowdenbeath in the season they stayed up in the Championship and, as I recall, he is quite like Taylor in stature.

I don't usually associate you, FT, with this sort of post.

I seem to mind that Hemmings looked alright in the two cameo roles he played for us despite being dumped by sevco. Archie still knocked him back and no full time club bothered with him , which suggests to me he wouldn't have fitted in with us. He does have a good season with a part time club and earns a move to Barnsley. Nothing positive to report there. So I sense you really have to return to why Archie knocked him back in the first place.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Somebody has mentioned on P&B that Super (?) Scoreboard or should that be Sevcoboard, mentioned last night that Fox was offski to Dungdee Und to replace their departing goalie. I like the Fox but he is far from irreplaceable, though it will leave a problem with Gallagher looking close to the end of his career and Scully being untested at the top level.

I like Taylor and am all for signing him in the summer, but saying he's not essential to our plans hardly constitutes fishing. It's not going to be easy to get him on a permanent deal (as last summer proved) but hopefully the experience of this season has influenced Lyle towards staying at Firhill this time round.

I did think the original reply to my comment was over the top, glad someone agrees. Taylor's an excellent player who gives his all and I hope we sign him up too, but I also think we may be able to find a good alternative if he doesn't.

Somebody has mentioned on P&B that Super (?) Scoreboard or should that be Sevcoboard, mentioned last night that Fox was offski to Dungdee Und to replace their departing goalie. I like the Fox but he is far from irreplaceable, though it will leave a problem with Gallagher looking close to the end of his career and Scully being untested at the top level.

Christ. Dundee Utd again. I mentioned we are there feeder club in another post. Just how many players will take from us!

Peter and Roughie said that apparently Ratnamara mentioned his interest in SOD during the week.

Sadly that's the facts of life now at the end of contracts, players can, quite rightly, look for the best deal going. Won't be too bothered if Fox goes to Tannadice, but it will be a hard one to swallow if O'Donnell joins him as well!

• Like 1

Peter and Roughie said that apparently Ratnamara mentioned his interest in SOD during the week.

Heard (as probably most of us did) that he'd been contacted by DU around same time as he knocked back Blackpool. However as time has gone on & given the amount if times it's been mentioned by the manager, it looks like he's off down South.

Scott Fox on the other hand....

I get what folk saying about him being replaceable but remember, this was the guy who was in a Scotland squad about 18 months ago.

I guess the flip side to that is someone like Nicky Walker who came to us for nothing with his career on a downward trend & within a couple of years he was called up for Scotland.

Story yesterday with the guys I sit with was that Higginbotham & Taylor both unlikely to be at Firhill next season. I don't know if anyone else can confirm or deny?

Balatoni by his own words likely to be off it seems.

Lawless possibly more likely to stay than not but would you bet on it?

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

I wonder if the out of contract players are being offered less lucrative deals because of the drop in income from lower crowds etc. Would be a sore one to take for players, especially given their recent efforts to achieve safety. Archie's recent comments about not breaking the bank and asking players to consider the other (non £) reasons to stay at the club indicate that this is the case.

More strange then that club don't put season tickets on sale earlier and get the new strips out earlier, like other clubs have. Really feel they're missing a trick here, especially now we're safe and with fans still in football mode before disappearing to go on their summer holidays.

I wonder if the out of contract players are being offered less lucrative deals because of the drop in income from lower crowds etc. Would be a sore one to take for players, especially given their recent efforts to achieve safety. Archie's recent comments about not breaking the bank and asking players to consider the other (non £) reasons to stay at the club indicate that this is the case.

More strange then that club don't put season tickets on sale earlier and get the new strips out earlier, like other clubs have. Really feel they're missing a trick here, especially now we're safe and with fans still in football mode before disappearing to go on their summer holidays.

I think the club can afford to gamble. Yeah, we have probably lost money this season but with Hearts and possibly Sevco or Hibs coming back up, crowds should definitely improve next season.

I have never understood why our club is always one of the last to bring out new strips. In an ideal world, it would be a great idea to have new strips ready for next weeks final game of the season at Firhill.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Am I being cynical in suggesting that ST & prices won't be released until after we find out which teams playing in the league?

Heard (as probably most of us did) that he'd been contacted by DU around same time as he knocked back Blackpool. However as time has gone on & given the amount if times it's been mentioned by the manager, it looks like he's off down South.

Scott Fox on the other hand....

I get what folk saying about him being replaceable but remember, this was the guy who was in a Scotland squad about 18 months ago.

I guess the flip side to that is someone like Nicky Walker who came to us for nothing with his career on a downward trend & within a couple of years he was called up for Scotland.

Story yesterday with the guys I sit with was that Higginbotham & Taylor both unlikely to be at Firhill next season. I don't know if anyone else can confirm or deny?

Balatoni by his own words likely to be off it seems.

Lawless possibly more likely to stay than not but would you bet on it?