New Kits For Next Season

Yellow & Redneck

Greaves was useless if you drive to Glasgow. Port Dundas a piece of cake. A total reversal if you're a pedestrian/user of public transport.

I thought that was fairly obvious.

I wouldn't say Greaves was useless to drive to. There is plenty of parking close by,although you have to pay. Chances are that you would combine a visit to Greaves with other shopping activities in the town.

I wouldn't say Greaves was useless to drive to. There is plenty of parking close by,although you have to pay. Chances are that you would combine a visit to Greaves with other shopping activities in the town.

The multi storey on Howard street is best for that part of town. The one on the corner of Jamaica Street with, I think, Matalan and Curry's below it.

Coming from the west, head along the Broomielaw, left up Oaswals street, right into Midland street ( under the railway, past the Arches), right onto Jamaica street, then immediate left at "Richer Sounds" corner.

Think it's a "Q-park" now, but I seem to remember it was once "Thistle" parking :thumbsup2: .... Maybe just imagining that, but always thought it was reasonable priced and handy for the shops and easy access.

You seem very sensitive about this.

I don't really get the point of the argument. Surely it's obvious to everyone that Greaves is a better location for more customers, albeit that it may not have been commercially viable to continue, and regardless of how close TTL is to your house.

Beyond that it seems to be an argument of semantics over the wording of a post. I'm sure there were valid reasons for choosing port dundas over something nearer Firhill, but I can understand why a Firhill location would seem more obvious to many Thistle fans.

I'm sensitive about a lot of things, thankfully football forums are in place to let me vent my frustration at life in general.

The point of the argument is the OP made a completely unfounded and baseless statement and after request, still can't back it up.

TTL had their Port Dundas location in place, before they started to supply Thistle with kit.

We already have a Firhill location.

I'm sensitive about a lot of things, thankfully football forums are in place to let me vent my frustration at life in general.

The point of the argument is the OP made a completely unfounded and baseless statement and after request, still can't back it up.

TTL had their Port Dundas location in place, before they started to supply Thistle with kit.

We already have a Firhill location.

When the OP said he thought Port Dundas was a bit rubbish (I think many on here would agree with him), you asked him 14 specific questions in response, then another stream later. It's his opinion that a proper shop at the stadium would be better. He doesn't need to "back it up" to you with market research. I remember debating with you last year when someone was foolish enough to say they'd been to the industrial unit selling our stuff, and their report (from memory) was that it was a mess (boxes everywhere, basically not a shop), the stuff they wanted wasn't available and the service was awful. Instead of accepting that at face value, your approach was similar - a screed of passive-aggressive questions, basically telling him he was wrong and by implication a liar, and that our "shop" in Port Dundas is fantastic. Are you sure you're going about defending TTL in the right way?!

Greaves haven't sold a few odds and ends from the season before the season before last. What a surprise. You seem to be arguing that that clearly proves that our club having a city centre profile is a waste of time. Many of us might disagree - and Kingsley is a good example. We are not in a position to capitalise on this (or any other unexpected/welcome boosts like a cup win) because the general public have no idea how to buy our stuff - the weblink for the t-shirts will only really have reached Jags fans even though the whole of Glasgow was talking about it - and many might pick up a t-shirt if they saw it in the city centre even now. I can't be bothered going through all the shop location stuff we've argued about again though, so that's enough from me.

Y'd think Port Dundas was an independent Crown Colony in the south pacific, outside the Schengen Area, working a points based system for entering, visas and inoculations required and by appointment only.

It's very easy access by car and hardly an expedition on foot requiring the recruitment of sherpas or pre destined campsites.

Oh yeah... and they do on-line mail order.... Can you imagine the mess the club would get in taking that on in-house?

E.T.A. - When I were a lad .... we had no shop and y'couldn't buy a thistle top anywhere. In fact, when clyde were squating at firhill, they tried to convert me when i went to buy my season ticket, they had a shop in the main stand with loads of bully wee tat, look where it got them....... Dry yer eyes!

meh! :angry:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

P.S. - I was over at ibrox the other day, I had an appointment in the area and was early so took a stroll round the lodge... Lunchtime-ish.... the place was deserted, but still their megastore was open. Didn't go in, but i imagine a store that size needs a full time manager and several staff to operate.... They sill think their effin Man-U or somethin.

I've been to old trafford and the Etihad... couple of years ago , but went for a stadium tour at both during the week, non match day... both were busy with tourists, old trafford was fully booked for 1hr tours, (we went in the morning and had to come back at 4ish for the last tour)....

Scottish football has to recognise where it's at and run itself accordingly. Thistle/Joma/TTL is doing ok for now.

OK, I'll rephrase that, Compared to Port Dundas, Greaves's location was relatively useless if traveling by car.

BTW Surprised no one has mentioned how accessible TTL's location is if traveling by canal. Personally I wouldn't touch that mode of transport with......

• Like 2

When the OP said he thought Port Dundas was a bit rubbish (I think many on here would agree with him), you asked him 14 specific questions in response, then another stream later. It's his opinion that a proper shop at the stadium would be better. He doesn't need to "back it up" to you with market research.

That wasn't his point at all, his point was, that it would be "better for everyone concerned" if TTL moved to an industrial unit on Garscube Road or Firhill Road.

A ridiculous claim (in my opinion) to make. Hence why I asked for at least one bit of evidence to back it up. As yet, I've yet to see a shred of evidence to suggest why it would be better, to move to an industrial unit on Garscube Road or Firhill Road.

Let's not paint this as some sort of TTL love in, on my part. That's certainly not the case. I've been critical of them on a few occasions.

That wasn't his point at all, his point was, that it would be "better for everyone concerned" if TTL moved to an industrial unit on Garscube Road or Firhill Road.

A ridiculous claim (in my opinion) to make. Hence why I asked for at least one bit of evidence to back it up. As yet, I've yet to see a shred of evidence to suggest why it would be better, to move to an industrial unit on Garscube Road or Firhill Road.

Let's not paint this as some sort of TTL love in, on my part. That's certainly not the case. I've been critical of them on a few occasions.

Is it really that serious an issue either way?

• Like 1

Is it really that serious an issue either way?

Not in the slightest, but if folk are going to post something unsubstantiated and pass it off as fact, instead of opinion, i'm sure you'd agree, a football forum allows that to be called out?

Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things, what may feel like a long drawn out serious conversation in written form, when you remove all the posts in between, in a verbal format, would be a conversation that would last less than two minutes.

Edited by potty trained

Regarding the strip. Quite nice but way too red in my opinion. Just doesn't look like a Thistle strip to me.

Disagree with you many of our hooped tops have had yellow as the dominant colour over the last few years. If we had stuck with that it would have likely been similar or identical to them. With the dominant colour being red this time it's a refreshing change and pretty different. The club colours are red and yellow so there's nothing wrong with red being the dominant colour for a change. I think the new home top is an absolute cracker mate

I've adopted Bristol Rovers since moving down this way and they get nearly twice the crowds The Jags get. The shop at the ground is open on weekdays as it's staffed then by the same people that work in the office. The shop is not that much bigger than the outlet in the Jackie Husband Stand. Not been in the main stand for years, so don’t know how feasible having a shop right next to the office is.

However, the range of merch far exceeds anything that I've ever seen on offer at any of the Jags' shops. Volunteers from the Supporters club help out on matchdays and it closes 10 minutes before kick-off. The shop is under the East Stand and only accessible after you enter through the turnstiles for the East side of the ground - the majority of the crowd is in the north terracing (yes- terracing!).

But they do have a portacabin, staffed by volunteers, accessible to all open on matchdays with the most popular stuff. The Gas' Supporters Club operates a Supporters Club shop in Kingswood, Bristol which sells merch and tickets, with profits going to the club. Jags equivalent would be to have a Supporters Club shop in Dumbarton Road, Partick.

Main point of this post is that you, the fans could get more involved, instead of just whingeing about it. They’ve already asked for volunteers for matchdays for certain roles, so you could suggest they add working in the club shop to that list. (Edited to add - Rovers delivery charge for a t-shirt is £3.50 - I do agree that £5.95 is excessive, but I've paid it!)

Edited by Wiltshire Jag

I've adopted Bristol Rovers since moving down this way and they get nearly twice the crowds The Jags get. The shop at the ground is open on weekdays as it's staffed then by the same people that work in the office. The shop is not that much bigger than the outlet in the Jackie Husband Stand. Not been in the main stand for years, so don’t know how feasible having a shop right next to the office is.

However, the range of merch far exceeds anything that I've ever seen on offer at any of the Jags' shops. Volunteers from the Supporters club help out on matchdays and it closes 10 minutes before kick-off. The shop is under the East Stand and only accessible after you enter through the turnstiles for the East side of the ground - the majority of the crowd is in the north terracing (yes- terracing!).

But they do have a portacabin, staffed by volunteers, accessible to all open on matchdays with the most popular stuff. The Gas' Supporters Club operates a Supporters Club shop in Kingswood, Bristol which sells merch and tickets, with profits going to the club. Jags equivalent would be to have a Supporters Club shop in Dumbarton Road, Partick.

Main point of this post is that you, the fans could get more involved, instead of just whingeing about it. They’ve already asked for volunteers for matchdays for certain roles, so you could suggest they add working in the club shop to that list. (Edited to add - Rovers delivery charge for a t-shirt is £3.50 - I do agree that £5.95 is excessive, but I've paid it!)

Good point on the range of merchandise. The Thistle range is actually pathetic; at the start of the Greaves deal there were some excellent leisurewear items that clearly sold. It started going downhill with the Airdrie tribute tops, then 1 year later it all fizzled out.

I think they should sell more bits and pieces like badges, hats, pens, keyrings, wallets etc. I live in London and every year my family try to buy Thistle pressies for me for birthdays, xmas or whatever and they usually end up buying them from ebay as the club shop doesn't sell them. That's money that's not going into the club. There must be loads of people that would buy presents for the Jags fan in their life but can't. Greaves used to sell quite a few things but since TTL took over the range has been pretty limited.

You would have thought it reasonably simple to do a small run of a wide range of merchandise that wouldn't need refreshed too often - mugs, keyrings, (good quality) scarves, coasters, pens, beer/whisky glasses etc... If they took a while to shift from the shop then it wouldn't really matter - they're all small enough to not really impact cash flow. We previously did lots of these (and I've got a few of them) but the range has diminished somewhat in recent years.

Hell, they could even survey the fans and ask what merchandise they wanted...

• Like 2

You would have thought it reasonably simple to do a small run of a wide range of merchandise that wouldn't need refreshed too often - mugs, keyrings, (good quality) scarves, coasters, pens, beer/whisky glasses etc... If they took a while to shift from the shop then it wouldn't really matter - they're all small enough to not really impact cash flow. We previously did lots of these (and I've got a few of them) but the range has diminished somewhat in recent years.

Hell, they could even survey the fans and ask what merchandise they wanted...

A small run pushes the price up significantly but I take your point about the time barrier being less of a hindrance. What I used to do with merchandise that was over ordered would be to stick the bits and bobs in goody bags for runner up prizes, gifts, incentives that sort of thing. So at least that would be the mystery 50/50 prize taken care of. Seriously tho' there's lots of ways of using non perishable overstock profitably.

On specifics I'd stay clear of glassware and anything branded in the current team colours. Skip hats/sunhats and to a lesser extent wallets, key rings, kit bags are always worth a go from the visual advertising aspect. Handling branded merchandise is still not an exact science as I'm sure Greaves found out after being left with the now totally redundant Jags tax disc holder :) .

I'm sure the Club will milk the Kingsley thingy for all it's worth but that will be temporary. After that's out the way like MP I'd like to see us widen our merchandise range. Just needn't be expensive small runs provided the Club have other marketing ideas.

• Like 1

A small run pushes the price up significantly but I take your point about the time barrier being less of a hindrance. What I used to do with merchandise that was over ordered would be to stick the bits and bobs in goody bags for runner up prizes, gifts, incentives that sort of thing. So at least that would be the mystery 50/50 prize taken care of. Seriously tho' there's lots of ways of using non perishable overstock profitably.

On specifics I'd stay clear of glassware and anything branded in the current team colours. Skip hats/sunhats and to a lesser extent wallets, key rings, kit bags are always worth a go from the visual advertising aspect. Handling branded merchandise is still not an exact science as I'm sure Greaves found out after being left with the now totally redundant Jags tax disc holder :) .

I'm sure the Club will milk the Kingsley thingy for all it's worth but that will be temporary. After that's out the way like MP I'd like to see us widen our merchandise range. Just needn't be expensive small runs provided the Club have other marketing ideas.

A guy at my work is one of the guys runs the Airdrie Supporters Trust - he was showing me both what the Airdirie Supporters Trust sell and also what the official merchandising sell. Ive got to say for a team in Scottish League 1 they actualyl have a pretty good range of merchandise. Regardless of our feelings to their club, I was quite taken aback by the wide range of things they do actually sell - even simple things - mobile phone covers, penants, coasters - not sure when the last time Thistle sold these things

This is what the Airdrie Supporters Trust sells merchandise - they just about sell everything and it brings in a lot of revenue which I guess they need

http://www.airdrietrust.com/shop.html

They also have the the Official Merchandise shop which looks to be run by UK Soccer Shop

http://www.uksoccers...-fc-c-2674.html

Edited by Third Lanark

TTL/Joma are a sports clothing manufacturer and retailer. "Tat" is quite obviously not their area of expertise.

It's already been well documented on this thread that we are missing a trick by not selling this stuff. When clubs playing 2 leagues below you are showing you up then you know there's something not right.

If TTL aren't able to produce this stuff then they should let someone else have a go. At the moment people will either buy from the street sellers on matchdays or get unofficial stuff from ebay. The club isn't making a penny from these avenues of course.

TTL/Joma are a sports clothing manufacturer and retailer. "Tat" is quite obviously not their area of expertise.

It's already been well documented on this thread that we are missing a trick by not selling this stuff. When clubs playing 2 leagues below you are showing you up then you know there's something not right.

If TTL aren't able to produce this stuff then they should let someone else have a go. At the moment people will either buy from the street sellers on matchdays or get unofficial stuff from ebay. The club isn't making a penny from these avenues of course.

St Johnstone seem to be able to have dual contracts, one with TTL, the other selling a whole host of nonsense. I'm not sure if they have the same problem as St Mirren though:

St Mirren have a deal with JD Sports for kit, and a separate deal with another company for "tat"(previously Provan Sports). The problem being, they can only buy tat at the ground at the club shop. You can't buy a strip at the ground.

So... Do we ask a sportswear manufacturer/supplier to start expanding the range of nonsense, probably well over and above what the original contract agreed. Or does the club take "tat" into their own hands, and if so, where do they sell it from, and who do they get to sell it?