2015/16 Season Transfer Thread

There's a wee snippet in The Scottish Sun today that ex St Johnstone right back Gary Miller is training with us. I don't know much about him, but he obviously isn't as maverick a player as SOD.

I'd be quite happy with Lindsay being third choice centre half. He's huge, has done well on loan and did well in his only start against Ciftci, which is a baptism of fire in the Scottish Premiership terms.

I'd imagine Archie would like to sign a full back that could also play in the middle as cover.

From our point of view Miller could be a decent addition. Beneficial for us as he's capable of covering right centre back. That said something in the back of my mind is telling me that MacKay was actually preferred as centre back cover, which would suggest Miller's strongest position by far will be right back.

Assuming he doesn't offer much going forward signing for us might mean he would be lightly used and I don't suppose that would be so beneficial from the player's viewpoint. It could also mean that we still need to bring in another right back.

Miller would be a shrewd addition. Can play right across the back and in midfield. He doesn't offer the same attacking prowess as O'Donnell but would be a steady replacement and would offer versatility which will be important in a smaller squad.

I thought that Lindsay showed real potential in his appearance against Dundee United - the only thing he obviously lacks is game time. As he is left sided, I assume that he will be cover for Seaborne...and given that there is a fair chance Dan may be out injured or suspended during the season, Liam should get a few games.

Cover for big Freddie is more of an issue though...we need someone who can step in to play on the right hand side.

Centre back is a strange one. I assume Archie knew that Conrad was leaving, and still released BRE, therefore another assumption should be that he has other centre back options in his sights.

I think Lindsay did well against Dundee Utd, and it would be worthwhile giving him a run in the first team squad this season,most probably from the bench.

We're going to need 4 CBs if Seaborne's fitness record last season is anything to go by. Certainly happy with Seaborne, Frans, and Lindsay as the first 3 but I don't know if Hendry is the 4th or we're looking for someone more experienced and put Hendry out on loan for the first half of the season- but then that potentially puts Lindsay to 4th choice and we're in the same position as last season.

If we sign Miller, I'd be inclined to think we might look to sign a younger right-back, possibly the lad on trial from Cardiff who seems quite well thought of, rather than an out-and-out centre half. Frans, Seaborne and Lindsay with Miller (and Hendry, at a push) for cover would be reasonable enough.

As winger David Amoo was presented as Thistle's latest recruit, Archibald says he'd like to add at least another four players to the squad.

Former St Johnstone defender Gary Miller is training with Thistle as he attempts to gain a move to fill the hole left by Stephen O'Donnell's exit to Luton Town.

full story here

http://sport.stv.tv/...alan-archibald/

Edited by stuart_adam

BRE has signed for a club in the Scottish 3rd tier. Obviously not good enough for our level.

With both Seaborne and Lindsay ahead in the pecking order for once being left sided didn't help. BRE's biggest fault was probably being so one footed. He'll do well playing alongside that thug Jason Talbot at East End Pk.

I won't dig out the old sevco thread for the sheer dread of receiving a "nothing to see here-move along now-get a life" retort from one or two yours trulys. But I do see a handful of ex sevcovian players are chasing up their former masters for holiday money.

Would never want to side with that vile organisation but I think you could argue the players in question had already enjoyed one season long holiday

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I won't dig out the old sevco thread for the sheer dread of receiving a "nothing to see here-move along now-get a life" retort from one or two yours trulys. But I do see a handful of ex sevcovian players are chasing up their former masters for holiday money.

Would never want to side with that vile organisation but I think you could argue the players in question had already enjoyed one season long holiday

That is a common view among supporters of The Rangers FC at my work.

Heard a bit of Off the Ball recently and it was suggested by one of the participants (current player I think) that players contracts should be 12 months as having zero income for a month (or more) is a problem. I'm sympathetic to that but it would effectively just be the same wage getting spread out longer as there is no more cash in the game to increase playing wages by 1/11th.

A good guy to have around the squad evidently and no doubt why he's training with us once again. That's as far as it'll go tho'. Even playing for a Jags type wage we couldn't afford McFadden. A guy deemed good enough to come off the bench most weeks for St J should be good enough to do the same for us albeit he's a year older. But we need players that can comfortably last 90 mins even the so called "impact players".

Unlikely Archie will be interested in McFadden – don’t think he was last year either and it was the right decision.

I would have thought Archie’s main targets will be in the athletic under 25 category. Although the two trialists we have are older and that surprises me. We already have an experienced back bone to the team and I thought he would bring some younger players in.

I would be surprised if we sign Gary Miller. Not a player I know a lot about but he does not seem to be the athletic full back that fits our system. Good for cover in that he can play centre back but Archie does not normally sign that type of player.

Not even sure even Archie knows where Elliot is going to end up playing this season. He was really maturing into the full-back role last season and is a real option on either flank.

If Archie does see him in full-back role he is going to have to sign another attacking midfielder who has more of a defensive side to his game. Playing Lawless and Amoo together on either wing is not going to be suitable for some games.

I expect Scully to go out on loan again but it might be hard to find a suitable team and would not surprise me if he went back to Dumfirmline. Archie needs a team to be able to pay a big chunk of his wages.