Season Tickets

Lionel J. Botch

I've never had a season ticket - I play sport on a Saturday and work away from Glasgow in mid-week and never make it to more than 5 home games per season. However if there was a 5-ish game package that I could buy at the start of the season, even for minimal discount (or maybe some other non-cash incentive - prize draw etc...) then I would buy it knowing that it would help the club/Archie budget for the season.

Exactly the kind of product that the club should add. Don't they do that kind of package around Christmas in any case? So why not a 5-match package for any combination of matches during the season?

Suspect the success of Glasgow Warriors might be having a small impact. Even if 50 -100 families had switched then this would have quite a big impact. I recognise the fixtures don't always clash but it may come down to a choice between spending your cash on the Warriors and the Jags and the match-day experience at Scotstoun edges ours at the moment.

Good point. It's not as if the rugger lot don't attract decent sized crowds so completely reasonable to reckon there's Jags amongst them.

Whenever entertainment/value for money is mentioned football/going to Firhill is usually measured against a trip to the cinema. Plenty other sports & recreations could be contributive to our declining gates.

The club have said previously that they won't offer 5 game / half-season packages at the start as they don't want to cannibalise their existing ST sales. I made this point in this / another thread that they should really be conducting some research to ensure that this isn't a self-defeating strategy.

Making both packages attractive shouldn't really be unsurmountable. All that's needed is a similar price per game policy with the ST price per game always being marginally better value. Coupled with that there has to be offers/services within the ST package never available to shorter packages. In theory that could be done thru TAG but that's got too muddled in practice. A few seasons ago an ST package offered a discounted day at hospitality available only on selected games. That's something that could be reintroduced.

It should be reasonably simple. What the club would need to do is conduct some research to understand the suite of packages that would satisfy the majority of the fanbase and then work out the commerciality of offering them, pricing them appropriately. The club should also have a process for driving sales every summer - as discussed before this should involve targeting all fans who have purchased previously to renew and understanding any key factors that are impeding sales and attempting to manage these. This wouldn't involve much resource but would lead to gains in both guaranteed revenue and fan engagement. I'd argue that the second is more important - making people feel that their purchase really is valued, making them feel part of what we achieve that season, and ensuring that customers are happy that the product provided is what was marketed (I'm looking at you, TAG...)

The cannibalisation argument is ridiculous. The people who would buy these 3/5/9 game packages aren't the same people who buy season tickets. They are a different customer base entirely who probably won't buy a season ticket at all. Similarly, I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying a season ticket just because these packages are available. You buy a season ticket to support the club first and foremost, but not everyone can afford that.

Offering these packages quite simply means the club gets money up front that it otherwise wouldn't.

• Like 1

The cannibalisation argument is ridiculous. The people who would buy these 3/5/9 game packages aren't the same people who buy season tickets. They are a different customer base entirely who probably won't buy a season ticket at all. Similarly, I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying a season ticket just because these packages are available. You buy a season ticket to support the club first and foremost, but not everyone can afford that.

Offering these packages quite simply means the club gets money up front that it otherwise wouldn't.

Absolutely.

Plus you've then got the details of those people that you otherwise wouldn't have had. Send them reminder e-mails when they're onto their final game and encourage them to renew for another one.

Then at the end of the season, you could tell them how much they'd have saved if they had a season ticket - and encourage them to get one for next season.

Slightly more advanced but if everyone was able to join a scheme (lets call it TAG) at a basic level for free, generating a membership number, and people were encouraged to quote this when making any ticket/merchandising purchases (as it filtered into a rudimentary loyalty scheme) then the club could generate significantly more data. They'd need a basic CRM system to use this properly but in the longer term it could reduce staffing costs, generate more MI and allow increased sales effectiveness.

Small acorns and all that but this is the type of thing the club should include in long term planning...

personally I still think its over priced....for what is basically English league 1 standard football........what do sponsors pay in English league 1 on average? id rather see costs put onto the sponsors than the fans. ......I always pay cash at the turnstile when I come up, but it still bugs me that the price for the North stand is the same as the Main stand......why is that, maybe we'd get a few more bums on seats if it was only £15 for the North stand?

• Like 2

personally I still think its over priced....for what is basically English league 1 standard football........what do sponsors pay in English league 1 on average? id rather see costs put onto the sponsors than the fans. ......I always pay cash at the turnstile when I come up, but it still bugs me that the price for the North stand is the same as the Main stand......why is that, maybe we'd get a few more bums on seats if it was only £15 for the North stand?

I think this is something the football administrators ought to be addressing - using sponsorship to encourage more fans rather than bonuses for themselves (though when's that going to happen?). Though I think it should be a sliding scale thing - e.g. Celtic could be claiming a massive amount of cash to charge their fans less: clubs with crowds over 15000 average say get nothing (or a token amount) and the money given out goes up the lower your crowds were the previous season. Then clubs receiving cash have to lower their gate prices say by £5.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Good point. It's not as if the rugger lot don't attract decent sized crowds so completely reasonable to reckon there's Jags amongst them.

Whenever entertainment/value for money is mentioned football/going to Firhill is usually measured against a trip to the cinema. Plenty other sports & recreations could be contributive to our declining gates.

Someone I know who goes to the rugby told me that the warriors have increased their price significantly this season particularly for kids. I think he said the kids ST had doubled in price

Not certain that the Club would necessarily get enough extra bums on seats to increase turnover. Plus differential pricing could see regular JHS punters move across. Regardless of that it's a valid argument and from a quality point of view I think the North Stand should be cheaper than the JHS.

if at first, only WillJag likes your ideas. Post... post.... and post again.

"One of my main criticisms of the TAG scheme at the time, and remains so, is that as far as I could gather it offered no real incentives for attracting people to matches. It was and remains, to my mind, a scheme which perhaps adds value to a season ticket and offers non-attendees an oportunity to buy into "the club".

Although it may raise additional revenue for the club ( and i sincerely hope it succeeds ), it appears to be fundamentaly another "pay for extras" scheme, rather than a innovative method of engaging.

I repeat, my contention, that while I do not think TAG or TAG plus are over priced for what they promise to deliver, they very possibly remain an extra charge that some household budgets will scrutinse closely. As a one off payment, my arguement was and remains that as a gift or personal purchase of Jaggy loyalty, a new strip, cashmere scarf, training gear or new tattoo might win the decision. And, if choosing to spread the payment, there might be reluctance to commit to another direct debit at what for many are still difficult financial times.

My thought was that there should be some kind of free-of-charge registration level of TAG which would amount to being placed on an e-mailing list and act as a source of targeted marketing and data gathering for the club. I was critical of some of the "extras" Tag offered, in particular the membership card. However, if that membership served some purpose and had perceptible value, as I have described in my post above* as a credit saving loyalty card, then I think there might be more demand for it and therefore a small charge for production an delivery would be justifiable and possibly more accessible to the more prudent fan.

I know we want to see season ticket sales rise. However, to make the comparison with the mobile phone industry, who are always desperate to get you signed up on a contract, the pay as you go market remains consistantly strong and the prefered option for over 30million(approx.) of all UK mobile users. PAYG is also seen by some industry experts as a vital entry level to build brand loyalty and to market more commited packages.

£10 to "join the club"?.. I think people might like the idea of being a "card carrying Jag" if it wasn't just a card. With the right discounts attached, i.e. better access to the BIG MATCH, they might not just "buy into the idea" they might, possibly, just... USE IT!

:fan: Fill Firhill for Thrills!

* "Or, i dunno how the new electronic gates work, but could there be a PATG season ticket that registers attendance and builds up some credit? ... £5-10 to register and receive your card, if we reduce prices for the northy, 2 credits for JHS attendance, 1 credit for northy, accumulating 6-8 credits can be redeemed for OF tickets or high profile games or other discounts and incentives, cup ties, club shop, even pie stall free pies!!! etc... "

... Willjag likes ... "Like your card idea CGMB. How about pay £5 for a card, get free TAG membership and for every 10 games you buy on the card you get one game free?" ......shouldn't encourage me ...

"Thanks Will. :smartass:

I dunno, price and workings would have to be considered and debated. However, I reckon if some kind of smart card was workable with the new turnstiles, I imagine there would be cost in start up, production, admin, delivery, holding stock and it would be a good opportunity to make some small profit for access to the scheme. I know they are pretty much handed out like sweeties now, but mobile sim cards used to be about £10, so I think that would still be an attractive pirce.

10 games seems a bit much to me before realising benefit. Although, I would imagine once one had purchased a card one might renew membership, at maybe £5 per season, and existing credit would roll-over so long as one kept the card "active". With only 18(?) home league games that really only leaves one potential match day benefit per season and an over 200quid outlay before return. As an attractive scheme to the "casual" or "lapsed" fan it would really need to start bearing fruit after maybe 3-5 attended games.

I envisage, rather than giving away free games, ( I'm sure most busineses baulk at the word free, and to be honest, i maintain that the kids go free although a great feature needs reviewed and once given it's hard to take away) offering good, appreciable, notable discounting on "bigger" games, (old firm, cup ties) where price might still be a barrier for some (when was the last time we sold out for celtic?) for less "credits" would be the best way to go. It would also lend support to defending charging a little excess for bigger games. Y'know, the "why more for the celtic game?" grumble is answered by "well, join up and save."

It sets targets and deadlines for people to build up and use their credit. Gives greater opportunity for the credit to be redeemed and users to feel the benefit and possibly motivate greater attendance, in a "I'll just go to this maybe-aye-maybe-naw game just to build up my credit for the upcomming cup tie" kind of way... y'know?

E.T.A. ... and I wouldn't neccesarily link it or lump it in with existing TAG packages. Maybe brand it as another level of TAG, although I dunno how good the TAG brand is... (what is it something to do with Hungarian supporters clubs? I get the link, but it don't shout diehard Jag to me). However existing pakages should remain at the same price or loose their value.... Ya over generous big saftie!!! :thumbsup2: "

sorry for the lengthy C&P ... been a long day and can't be arsed engaging brain to type anew.... anyhoo all from this thread http://www.wearethis...es-a-braindump/

Still think, a bit of polishing, and the the idea's a good-un.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

I've just had a brill idea. How about we get the Herald, Record and Times to give us free advertising and promotion for selling our season tickets? They could do it every day, with lots of stories about the jags always including a wee bit about buying a season ticket. What do you think?

I've just had a brill idea. How about we get the Herald, Record and Times to give us free advertising and promotion for selling our season tickets? They could do it every day, with lots of stories about the jags always including a wee bit about buying a season ticket. What do you think?

They are newspapers with high editorial standards. They would never do anything like that...

Just got an email saying that the deadline has been extended again.

Really not much point in having these deadlines if they just keep pushing them back.

No doubt the Kingsley episode has been great PR for the club but it doesn't appear to be helping season ticket sales.

They are newspapers with high editorial standards. They would never do anything like that...

As we all know, that is unless you happen to have been liquidated and call yourself Rangers instead of your real name..... I think the Herald has pimped their STs every year since their inception. I admit I no longer buy the Herald, but I have never seen any other club benefit from free advertising and promotion in this manner from a national newspaper. Speaks volumes for their total lack of editorial integrity, at least in relation to fitba journalism.