Friendly V Falkirk

I know there's still ten minutes to kick off but there has been no interest or mention on the forum this week. I see we only have one trialist playing today and I assume that it's Gary Miller again.

Got to say that our squad today, and indeed the starting line-up, lacks depth. But the real test of that will be in the performance so here's hoping for a good day.

See too that Aero & Baird start for Falkirk.

Just in and it WAS a bit low key - thought we were very poor in the first half but, having said that, the manpower on the field did not seem to gel. Big Frans was immense unlike, I feel, against Dumbarton last week. The trialist right back looked a bit short of the pace needed. McDaid was quite impressive throughout though still lacking a bit of physical presence. Thought Bannigan was missed in midfield and was pretty ordinary at left back.bdools hardly got a kick all game and the centre of the Falkirk defence strolled through the game (including big Aaron who looked good)

Fraser is not back to his best yet and Welsh was a wee bit off the pace.

In the second half Bannigan was good restored to midfield and Osman was solid, Booth looked good as did David Wilson ( very pacey) and Leyden wasn't out of place when he came on. Lawless was as good as ever.

Our best spell was the last ten minutes when the youngsters were on but that could have been down to the many changes Falkirk made as well.

The game didn't reveal anything we don't know already - we need a right-back and a striker - but the performance of the youngsters was encouraging. We appear to have a decent youth system, one that's on the cusp of producing first-team players capable of holding their own in Scotland's top league. A route to self-sufficiency that the likes of County are completely neglecting.

It's incredibly difficult for our youngsters coming thru the system. If we were back in the league below, or an established club further up the league we're in, introducing the likes of Hendry, Leyden and the likes the difficulties would be so much easier. What's encouraging is that those lads on the periphery of being termed squad players look like they're ready or close to being ready.

It's no secret that Archie wants to sign quality over quantity. As back up the youngsters on show today look like they'll be able to help Archie on that.

Struggling to see the benefit in even trying Bannigan at left back. I know midfield is the one area we seem to have genuine depth, but you absolutely have to play your best player in his best position and then work out the rest of the team after that, regardless of the fact it leaves one or two good players on the bench.

how did Hendry play? do you think Archie will be happy to go with him and Lindsay as backup for centre defence as Seaborne is guaranteed to be out every few games?

Does anyone think Osman could be deployed in centre back in emergencies if Archie doesn't feel comfortable throwing LL or JH in at the deep end.I suppose that depends on whether we sign Gary Miller as he can play at cb aswell, although with no sign of him today who knows.

I thought yesterday's game showed that we have some decent young players coming through and if Archie can bring another couple of quality signings we will be fine. Freddie coached young Hendry through the game and the young guy didn't put a foot wrong, which is just as well because I think Seabourne will be missing more often than not.

We need another presence up top that allows us to vary our style of play, Doolan being asked to do too much on his own. Overall we were fairly comfortable and looked more of a threat after half time and the introduction of Booth, Lawless and Welsh, who incidentally looked very sharp .

Struggling to see the benefit in even trying Bannigan at left back. I know midfield is the one area we seem to have genuine depth, but you absolutely have to play your best player in his best position and then work out the rest of the team after that, regardless of the fact it leaves one or two good players on the bench.

Perhaps Archie was try to see what the possible backup is if Booth gets injured or suspended ?

how did Hendry play? do you think Archie will be happy to go with him and Lindsay as backup for centre defence as Seaborne is guaranteed to be out every few games?

Does anyone think Osman could be deployed in centre back in emergencies if Archie doesn't feel comfortable throwing LL or JH in at the deep end.I suppose that depends on whether we sign Gary Miller as he can play at cb aswell, although with no sign of him today who knows.

Just going by last week, Miller doesn't look like a central defender to me. Doesn't look big enough, unlike Lindsay and Hendry who have all the attributes of being very good central defenders. If we sign Miller, I think we are ok in that department (right back) as Christie Elliot can fill in, in emergencies. We desperately need a striker in. The major bonus for us this season will be if Sean Welsh can give us an injury free season. If he can, he could be our best signing and it would leave us very strong in the middle of the park.

Edited by Lindau

Have people by and large decided that Christie Elliott, whom the majority of supporters now acknowledge to be a valuable squad member, just can't cut it as a striker?

I've never seen him as a striker. Always been a winger for me, who is now a genuine left and right-back option.

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 1

I've never seen him as a striker. Always been a winger for me, who is now a genuine left and right-back option.

Agreed. If we sign Miller, I can see Christie being the cover for both full back positions. Christie value to the side is that he can play in many positions. Type of player that every manager likes.