V Hamilton

DublinMagyar

That has to be one of softest red cards I have saw. First yellow was never a card, not much in it at all. Second challenge merited a yellow card yes but really a player should never be sent off for two challenges like them.

Going down to ten at such an early stage in the game it’s always going to be difficult and coming away with a point is a big plus. Hamilton were on top before the sending off as well.

We failed to get a grip of the midfield and I would put that down to two substandard performances from Osman and Amoo.

Hard to separate Cerny or Lindsay for our man of the match. Cerny made some excellent stops and on this evidence is a step up from Fox. Liam was calm and composed throughout the game and never put a foot wrong. Hendry also did well when he came on. Thought Archie might have put Miller at centre back but Jack did not let him down. There are much bigger threats than Nadé in this league for them to deal with though - who apart from holding the ball up did little else. He looks well short of fitness also.

Only in the last 20 mins or so did Hamilton put us under any serious pressure. Welsh did well and showed some moments of real class but I thought we missed Banzo in the centre of midfield.

With so many young players on in the last 20 mins we did fall too deep and Archie needs to teach a few on the fine art of time wasting. If you can’t pick out a player than give it a punt down park and made the keeper kick the ball or get it out for a throw.

We are still short of players – can’t help but think we are in trouble when injuries come. I just hope we don’t have any long term injuries to our key players.

Jeez what an embarrassment. I hope the club sees this. The reason I support thistle in the first place is that there is no aggro .

Just how many of the wallopers making the airplane gestures are wearing our colours or even a scarf? They don't look like they're there to support.

They are all cowards doing the "haud me back" gesture but not actually doing anything.

Cringe

Edited by gerrybritton9

Given the circumstances, it was a great point and one that could prove valuable at the end of the season. If you look at our defensive adequacy when Archie took over to how we performed as a unit yesterday, I think it is a great credit to his and Paterson's coaching skills.

I'll need to see it again but I thought Frans' first booking was a definite yellow. Nade was going nowhere but into the corner, all Frans had to do was hold him up until we had men behind the ball. I've heard some say it was soft but at the time, I had no complaints. For his second booking, after going to ground so soon before, he was very silly to give the referee the option to issue another caution. We can all argue the validity of each booking but what is out with questioning in my opinion is Frans' rashness which has been evident since he signed; he goes to ground far too easily, far too often. He might have just cost himself a jersey because when fit, you would imagine Seaborne will come straight back in, and both Lindsay and Hendry are certainly no inferior to Frans.

That leads nicely onto the young centre halves - get extensions in front of them ASAP because both have very bright futures. Hendry has came in under the radar to a certain extent and many would have considered him behind Lindsay who is a player we've taken our time to nurture; but he's proven in pre-season and again yesterday that he is absolutely capable of playing at this level and is no less of a prospect than Lindsay. He's quick - quicker than any of the other centre halves - and is comfortable on the ball; he was under pressure in the channel in the second half yet waltzed past a couple of Hamilton players to play his way out. He also defends the far post very well and is always capable of getting a knick on the ball to clear it away. Lindsay is a hulking presence and nullified any threat Hamilton posed from set-pieces. For one so young, he's accomplished in all the areas that a centre-half needs to be. Two very exciting prospects.

Elsewhere, I thought Miller was excellent. He doesn't offer anywhere near as much as O'Donnell from an attacking perspective but is a considerably better defender. He kept Amoo and McDaid in check as best as he could and blocked off the right side very well. He helped keep Hendry and Lindsay in line too and was close to being my Man of the Match for doing a job that probably went unnoticed by many.

As impressive as our defenders were - and I include Booth in that, who did a good job on the left side - Cerny has won us the point with two fantastic saves; the first from a one-on-one after someone ran inside McDaid and of course, the tip over the bar that looked like it was heading for the top corner.

Fantastic to see Welsh back and he was excellent during his time on the pitch. In quite a frantic first half, he was one of the few players to put his foot on the ball and try to play; on one occasion, in quite a congested midfield, he shimmied past a couple of players then pinged a blind side pass out to Booth which was one of the few moments of quality from us. If he can stay fit, he'll be a tremendous addition.

That said, Welsh's reintroduction (and Lawless' absence) shunted Bannigan into an ineffectual wide left position which doesn't suit his game. We missed his ball retention in the middle at times especially as Osman was back to his mid-season form of last year. For me, I'd rather see a sitting duo of Bannigan and Osman with Welsh playing in the more advanced role that Stevenson started in. Stevo would play on the right in place of Amoo who is an impact player from the bench if ever I saw one.

Final word to my Man of the Match. He won't get the credit he deserves from some fans who think he lacks pace, strength, super-human goalscoring ability, [enter whatever criticism is most popular amongst the numbskulls this week] but Kris Doolan sacrificed himself for the team yesterday and put in a a tireless and thankless shift up front. He is one of the most tactically aware strikers I've seen play for Thistle and always knows when to go and when not to. As much as we wouldn't have won a point without Cerny's interventions and the performance of our defence, we would have went home empty-handed if it wasn't for Doolan's work up top.

Great team performance.

• Like 3

Don't know how anyone could say they thought Miller had a good game, he got caught with the ball inside the channel 4 times, was lucky to get away with two stick on fouls, and needlessly hoofed the ball out the park when we were desperate for someone to put their foot on the ball. One interchange in particular with McDaid where he leathered it out for a bye kick from almost the half way line when McDaid was barely 5 meters away. I was pretty disappointed to be honest. Looks more like a midfield player than a full back, would rather have Eliott in there.

Don't know how anyone could say they thought Miller had a good game, he got caught with the ball inside the channel 4 times, was lucky to get away with two stick on fouls, and needlessly hoofed the ball out the park when we were desperate for someone to put their foot on the ball. One interchange in particular with McDaid where he leathered it out for a bye kick from almost the half way line when McDaid was barely 5 meters away. I was pretty disappointed to be honest. Looks more like a midfield player than a full back, would rather have Eliott in there.

All about opinions, I suppose. Can't say I recall him being caught on the ball as often as you've described, though.

Given the player he is replacing, it is very easy to simply look at what he offered offensively; I would agree that his distribution was patchy at times (although with Hamilton sitting high up the pitch and only Doolan up front, he had little option at times but to punt it long) and I alluded to the fact that he's not as comfortable in possession as O'Donnell. But defensively, I thought he was excellent given that he had little protection from Amoo and then had to marshall McDaid. The fact that Hamilton regularly had to turn back down the line or play inside rather than get to the byline was evidence of Miller's effectiveness.

Highlights were a bit painful to watch - edited to tell a particular story perhaps. Can't really argue with the 2 bookings - although first one was on the soft side and to Nade's credit he didn't appear to make a meal of it but fear these types of challenges will be meat and drink for the referee next week to play to the media/telly audience as regards bookings for us.

Bearing in mind the nature of next week's opposition, discipline will be very important - the Ross game yesterday perhaps tells a story as regards the possibilities of bookings (and orderings off) against that shower, the least excuse and we will be playing with 10, 9 , 8 ....................

All about opinions but I find this view to be cack. Miller along with the other 4 in the back 5 set the tone for us leaving with a point.

For me Booth was the MOTM for the Jags but it was small margins between the 5 of them. If we can defend that well for the remainder of the season our deficiencies up front will not be so critical.

• Like 1

All about opinions but I find this view to be cack. Miller along with the other 4 in the back 5 set the tone for us leaving with a point.

For me Booth was the MOTM for the Jags but it was small margins between the 5 of them. If we can defend that well for the remainder of the season our deficiencies up front will not be so critical.

For 65 minutes our major concern was to not lose the game. We didn't, and i doubt that would've been possible without all the back four playing well both individually and collectively. Looked to me Miller played his part.

Having viewed the excreblee coverage provided by what is supposed to be our national broadcaster my initial thoughts were that if e both fouls had been committed against us I'd have been howling for a card to be shown on both occasions. Whether I'd have been right of course is the $60 million question. On balance, I don't have much room to complaint and whilst I'll concede that the referee was a tad quick dishing out the cards,most of the blame IMO lies with Franz's lack of self control.

both bookings are very soft, if every tackle like that was a booking we'd be playing 8 vs 8 every week. the ref had them on his coupon by the looks of it, im surprised he didn't award them a penalty when docherty's shot came off the post.

Edited by jags on tour

Having viewed the excreblee coverage provided by what is supposed to be our national broadcaster my initial thoughts were that if e both fouls had been committed against us I'd have been howling for a card to be shown on both occasions. Whether I'd have been right of course is the $60 million question. On balance, I don't have much room to complaint and whilst I'll concede that the referee was a tad quick dishing out the cards,most of the blame IMO lies with Franz's lack of self control.

As has been said, both tackles were fouls, but they were his first two real tackles of the game. Dish out yellow cards like that and you will be lucky to have a game to watch. The ref and stand side linesman were indecisive all game, looking at each other, every time a decision had to be made on that side. Both were pretty clueless.

Miller had a tackle early on, in front of the Hamilton support, that most of us thought was a stick-on foul.

The Ref didn't give it and spent the rest of the half compensating Hamilton for that mistake, including being over-quick to dish out the cards to Freddie.

That point was made to me as well. Might be something in it. Don't want to attract the "get over it" posts but Willjag's suggestion that Frans slipped could also have merit. Everyone was feeling their way in the sodden conditions. Loads of under hit passes, schlaffs and players slipping.