Celtic 09/08/15 Match Thread

potty trained

Hope we start with Amoo & Pogba midweek.

Wilson did ok even though he looked a little unsure as to where he was playing at times.

Lawless got bullied out of it too easily at times & Stevenson had no support within 25 yards of him at times first half.

Full backs at fault for both goals but young lads at centre half hardly put a foot wrong.

Wasn't expecting a lot today but disappointing not to at least create a little more in wide areas.

Hope Aberdeen stuff Killie later.

Watched on BT. Thought the coverage was pretty decent. Gordon Strachan talks a lot of sense as does Stephen Craigan.

Will keep the analysis short as there aren't many positives;

Sean Welsh was fantastic. The centre backs also did really well as did Cerny.

David Wilson is yet to convince me. I think the lad touched the ball 6 or 7 times and either gave it away, crossed the ball over the bar or into the keepers arms each time. Looks well, well out his depth at this time.

Bannigan doesn't appear to be at the races yet this season.

Pogba and Amoo linked up well a couple of times.

Archibald reaffirmed why I elected to stay at home. All this drive to buy tickets and get behind the team and he serves up a formation like that. Come on now.

On the up side, next two games are winnable.

Edited by brodieboy

Said every week to all fans. After a performance like today and this is what is upsetting people... Jeez oh

To be fair, the PA guy is pretty poor. Michael

Max is a pro at it and I think it's actually quite an important element of the match day experience. I wonder what the reason was to replace him?

Edited by brodieboy

Our record against Celtic is appalling and must be the worst of any team in the top 2 divisions in Scotland over the last 20 years.

I know the odds have always been farcically against us, but our inability to threaten in any meaningful way, and end up with routine defeat in my entire career as a Thistle fan (15 years) is an embarrassment.

Said every week to all fans. After a performance like today and this is what is upsetting people... Jeez oh

Not the only thing upsetting me. I'll give you a list if you want.

But just a simple "thanks for attending" would be fine. No need to say "especially Celtic fans".

I'll go and get working on my list of other upsetting things.

I actually thought Banzo had a good game. Did is best to take a grip of a midfield dominated by sellick and when e got the ball, he used it well. He showed good awareness with his passing and I also thought he linked up well with Fraser when he came on...

Pogba looks like a real find doesn't he? Another positive I can take from that was Hendry and Lindsay. They didn't look out of place against a team, that lets face it, are miles better than anyone else in the league...

• Like 3

I thought the first 40 minutes we played were dreadful, do not understand this sit in deep tactic and play with no strikers thing that archie tried out. I can understand us being tight for first 15/20 minutes that is fine but it looked like we were trying to get a 0-0. When we opened up and started to play our normal game we looked like we could have got in about them with a bit more grit and guile. The positives Lindsay and Hendry are more than capable for central defence and pogba looks like he could be a good addition when he gets up to speed.

Edited by Pinhead

When I heard the team on the radio I honestly felt like turning the car around and going back home.

That was dreadful. I know we should never expect to pick up anything from Celtic however to play with no attacking aim whatsoever is an embarrasement.

What doea archie see that every other thistle fan doesnt?! Surely it has been proven time and time again that stevenson is not a striker. Its like stepping back a year ago saying that!

Thought the first 30 mins we were along them to much time on the ball and allowing to pass it around at their leisure. It was only really a matter of time before they scored.

Miller looks a very poor signing. As slow as a week in the jail and doesnt look at all comfertable on the ball nor in defence. He should have went right throught the ball (and izagirre) for the first goal when the ball was on the wing however chose to sh*t out it and then we are 1-0 down.

Wilson looked lost all day. Couldnt pass a simple ball and just wanted rid of it as soon as he got it. Not seen anything to think he can make it and how he managed to last 90 mins il never know i can only assume lawless was injured.

Pogba looks a decent find however I feel he will be a frustrating player but good to see someone out the opposing central defenders.

The two central defendera looked decent. A couple of stray passes but nothing major.

Really need to try get at least one win over the next two games.

• Like 2

I also was a bit surprised that Doolan didn't start and having the 3 youngsters on from the off didn't help. They all looked a bit nervous in the 1st half and the 1st 35 mins was a stroll for Celtic. We were a bit better between the goals, but they were soft ones to lose. Miller was maybe a bit unfortunate to lose the tackle that led to the goal - maybe he wasn't strong enough. The 2nd goal was just awful. Hendry looks the better of the 2 defenders, David Wilson didn't contribute much but I liked Pogba and Amoo. They could cause some problems for other teams.

When we play Celtic we need to get in their faces right from the start.

Disappointed.

When I heard the team on the radio I honestly felt like turning the car around and going back home.

That was dreadful. I know we should never expect to pick up anything from Celtic however to play with no attacking aim whatsoever is an embarrasement.

What doea archie see that every other thistle fan doesnt?! Surely it has been proven time and time again that stevenson is not a striker. Its like stepping back a year ago saying that!

Thought the first 30 mins we were along them to much time on the ball and allowing to pass it around at their leisure. It was only really a matter of time before they scored.

Miller looks a very poor signing. As slow as a week in the jail and doesnt look at all comfertable on the ball nor in defence. He should have went right throught the ball (and izagirre) for the first goal when the ball was on the wing however chose to sh*t out it and then we are 1-0 down.

Wilson looked lost all day. Couldnt pass a simple ball and just wanted rid of it as soon as he got it. Not seen anything to think he can make it and how he managed to last 90 mins il never know i can only assume lawless was injured.

Pogba looks a decent find however I feel he will be a frustrating player but good to see someone out the opposing central defenders.

The two central defendera looked decent. A couple of stray passes but nothing major.

Really need to try get at least one win over the next two games.

well summarised, i also think Miller is a tad slow and get's caught out at times but hopefully he will improve as games go on.

David Wilson is yet to convince me. I think the lad touched the ball 6 or 7 times and either gave it away, crossed the ball over the bar or into the keepers arms each time. Looks well, well out his depth at this time.

Maybe misreading you, brodieboy. Are you saying Wilson only touched the ball a handful of times? I thought his judgement was often poor but he was all over the park and very involved. Too often I've seen more experienced Jags players hide when things are not going their way. Like Craigen before him Wilson is not one to chuck it.

Also thought Bannigan had a good game. In fact individually most of the team played some decent stuff, just not for sustained periods. Sometimes it's the other way round and nobody stands out but the teamwork more than makes up for it. Link up play was shabby today.

Beaton never fails to annoy me usually as he can't keep up with play. But of all his dodgy decisions the one that irked me most, Osman's booking, happened right under his nose.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Disappointed in Archie's tactics today. Lack of pressing , no attacking threat untill Pogba came on and a general acceptance that the game was lost before we started. We basically bent over for Celtic.

The team wernt fired up for it which makes me ask what is the point of being in the top division. We usually get gubbed by them anyway so ffs lets have a go once in a while. Archie said it himself in the interveiw we didn't press or compete.Im an Archie fan and think he is doing a brilliant job for us but today was weak.and perhaps an chance missed.

Think he also has a big problem in the centre of the park with the combination of Welshy , abdul and Banzo, just isn't gelling for me.

Would get Elliot in in place of Miller too.

Positives were defo another game for Lindsay and Hendry and Pogba and Amoo linking up well on a couple of occasions.

...AND THE REF .Kicking the ball away is a booking , booting a player around neck height isn't , shite and bias against us throughout

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

Kinda calmed down.

If I had seen the line up before taking my seat in the an stand I may have gone home. That starting line up was never going to trouble Celtic.

Stevo is not and never will be a centre forward. How many times has Archie tried this and how many times has it worked? The Einstein saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result comes to mind.

Celtic play a high tempo pressing game and it forces mistakes. We play 11 men behind the ball and give you space and time well into our half game. I assume trying to make it difficult to pass through us. It worked to a certain extent I suppose, but when we will the ball we have nothing up the park. We simply give it back and then it starts again. And so it did, again and again. Celtic are too good for this and will break you down eventually.

Maybe we should try and play against them, you know maybe have a forward on the pitch and try to create a chance or 2. Give them something to think about and not have VVD strolling forward as if he owned the place. That starting line up was a joke, plain and simple. Some people around me were saying we looked good towards the end. Well yee fekin ha. Game over, they are not out of first gear, leaving 1 on 1 at the back now and then and we are happy to create a chance or 2. We are a premier league club at home. Go for it from the start.

As a side issue we desperately need someone to play on the left of midfield.

I’m sure all those armchair fans are not going to be queuing down Firhill Street next week on that back of that performance. Live on national telly and set up line that... total sh1te.

Maybe I’ve not calmed down after all.

• Like 2

The starting formation was vindicated in a bad way by the first 35 mins absolutely dreadful but that's what we asked for ... The plan was for Stevo to hold the ball up and others to link up never likely to happen and it didn't

When did we trouble them ? When pogba and amoo came on

Personally I would rather lose 4-1 than 2-0 as we did today

Not worth turning up for

Was quite a tame performance really, didn't compete that much, I make that about 18 months since we scored vs Celtic? Elliot at Firhill if I remember rightly.

I'm not as down as many people seem to be on here though, did see some positives, the 2 young centre backs, Hendry in particular, look 1st team ready. Lindsay needs to improve his distribution if he wants to make it at this level but he's had a tough 2 games to start season with so hard to judge the boy fairly. I'd probably bring Frans and Seabo in though on Wednesday but I'd be equally happy with giving the boys a run out, leave it up to Archie to make that call obviously.

I thought Miller was decent today, surprised to read the critiscism further up.

Even more surprised to read someone slagging Bannigan who was without doubt our best player today. Welsh had a good game but still can be guilty of giving possession away too much. I cut him some slack however as he's our main creative midfielder so naturally he's going to try things that dont always come off.

Wilson improved but was just in there for a hard shift I think, the team was set up to contain with the options off the bench to come on later on, but at 2-0 down when archie made the changes, game was gone.

In terms of Wednesday, I'd go with

Cerny

Miller Frans Seabo (if fit) Booth

Bannigan Osman

Amoo Stevo Lawless

Pogba

Harsh on Welsh maybe but that's what I'd go with.

Agree with a lot of the previous threads but Archie is getting away lightly with the way he set up the team . We've spent the last couple of weeks trying to entice supporters back to Firhill , then Archie sets up basically a 4 6 0 formation .

The first 35 mins were absolutely shocking , no out ball , no goal threat at all , in that position Stevenson is a waste of a jersey.

It got better after Celtic scored as it looked as if the team were told to move 15 yards up the park, our season won't be defined on this game but at least on our home ground let's give it a go.

As previously posted, the Stevo selection must have been un the hope that he could keep the ball until support arrived from mid-field, in retrospect Archie must realise that it didn't work. What was with the long delay in Stevo coming back on to the field after his head knock, was the ref too bust admiring the players in green and white? Pogba looks like he could be a good signing.

Is that the first time Thistle have had 3 black players on the field?

Think he also has a big problem in the centre of the park with the combination of Welshy , abdul and Banzo, just isn't gelling for me.

Agree with this. Think the balance is wrong in there.

Not that any of them playing badly but not sure who of Banzo or Welsh is going to get up to or beyond our centre forward.

Maybe today not best day to judge that though & playing with 10 men after 25 mins last week not best examples to judge.