Inverness Match Thread Saturday

Lindau

The newspaper stats seem to indicate that we were well on top for most of the game, but i was concerned at how often the team seemed to give the ball to the opposition. I'm not sure if a single kickout from Scully went to a Jags player, and Seabourne was woeful in his distribution. In addition, the ball seemed to get seized on more readily by the Inverness players in midfield, perhaps showing where we really need Bannigan. Despite us apparently having most of the possession, for long stretches we seemed to be chasing the game because of our own lack of attention to retaining possession.

Dumbuya had a great first half with his runs getting past their number 27(Vigurs ?)Unfortunately Amoo hugged the touch line when he should have gone inside. In 2nd half, Inverness changed it with Vigurs on the right. Dumbuya didn't getting forward nearly as much

Poor Calum Booth is almost being ignored on here, although he has become an important contributor to our pushes forward on the left.

• Like 3

Dumbuya had a great first half with his runs getting past their number 27(Vigurs ?)Unfortunately Amoo hugged the touch line when he should have gone inside. In 2nd half, Inverness changed it with Vigurs on the right. Dumbuya didn't getting forward nearly as much

In a way that's encouraging as it shows Mustapha has reasonable defensive qualities. That's probably more crucial with Lindsay being positioned on his wrong foot. I used to defend Muirhead and/or Balatoni as SOD often was absent from the defensive right back position, which inevitably drew out the centreback.

I'm not overly critical of Amoo but you're right about his reluctance to cut inside. Not in itself a major failing but, when it in effect means Lawless is played wide left that's a bigger loss.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The 3 points were absolutely huge yesterday. We are up in the table and next week’s game against Killie gives us the opportunity to jump above them in the table.

However I do think the last minute goal has sugar coated opinions on here. The score line could easily been the other way around.

Inverness' pass and move was impressive at times. Much better than us for long periods. I still feel the balance of the side is wrong. Welsh had a few nice touches and passes but he loses far too many 50/50 balls in the centre of the park. We need Banzo back into his best position of next to Osman next week.

I don’t understand Archie's thinking regarding both Muirhead and Stevo on the bench. Both should be starting for me - the balance of the side would be so much better. We have wide players putting balls into the box were the only real threat is Doolan. If we had both Muirhead and Stevo in there then this would be different.

On Doolan he took his goal well but if that chance did not present itself to him then we would be blaming him for the chances he missed during the game. That said he did cause Inverness problems throughout the game. He does not let missed chances get him down he keeps getting himself into good shooting positions and he got his reward for that yesterday. Doolan usually is at his best after a spell out of the team.

The window is going to be huge for us.

Edited to add the Inverness goal looks offside going by the highlights.

Edited by Alan Murray

Poor Calum Booth is almost being ignored on here, although he has become an important contributor to our pushes forward on the left.

I think Booth has improved since he arrived. However, it is my perception, that most of the goals we lose are from our left side of defence. He is good going forward, but a bit suspect at the back.

On Doolan he took his goal well but if that chance did not present itself to him then we would be blaming him for the chances he missed during the game.

I appreciate that this is selective quoting but the "chance presented itself" through Doolan taking a great first touch to spin in the box, use strength to hold off a challenge and fire a precise shot across goal and into the far corner. In short, Doolan turned a loose ball fired into the box into a goal, pretty much all by himself and in a way he's done so often in the past. Sure, he has limitations (and missed chances yesterday) but it should be acknowledged how good his goal actually was.

Did Scully have any good saves yesterday? Did he have to deal with any crosses?

Don't remember him having a save of note to make. There was one cross which he threw a punch at and it managed to spin off his glove and out of the other side of the box. Maybe could have done better with that, but it didn't get us in trouble.

I'm agreeing with the sentiment of Mr Murray above in general. I think we got away with one on Saturday to a certain degree. Inverness did not capitalise on our performance, and you have to credit the guys for sticking at it and getting a reward on a day when we were far from our best.

To sum up my concerns about our defensive play in general this season I'd say it's a sure bet that, until we made our changes, there wouldn't be an Inverness player on the park with sore ankles.

Delighted with these 3 points earned in a way we haven't seen a lot of in recent times, so let's keep up this good run of results.

There was one cross which he threw a punch at and it managed to spin off his glove and out of the other side of the box. Maybe could have done better with that, but it didn't get us in trouble

Ref blew for a foul anyway. Inverness had one shot on goal and scored. Scully may have put the guy off when he missed a sitter later on. That might have finished us. I'll take a jammy win - we were due some luck. We seem to get our luck when we play Inverness.

Great 3 points for us on Saturday, despite us not being great.

Inverness looked as though they were going to tear us apart in the first 10-15 minutes. Glad they stopped playing after their first goal as their passing and movement up to that point was excellent and they were just too much for us.

After that, I think we done enough without being great. Wasn't a great standard from either team for most of the game but I'm very pleased that we kept working and managed to dig out that result. The late winner making it even sweeter!

A draw would've probably been a fair result and I wouldn't have been too displeased with that. About time we had a wee bit of luck though!

Great 3 points for us on Saturday, despite us not being great.

Inverness looked as though they were going to tear us apart in the first 10-15 minutes. Glad they stopped playing after their first goal as their passing and movement up to that point was excellent and they were just too much for us.

After that, I think we done enough without being great. Wasn't a great standard from either team for most of the game but I'm very pleased that we kept working and managed to dig out that result. The late winner making it even sweeter!

A draw would've probably been a fair result and I wouldn't have been too displeased with that. About time we had a wee bit of luck though!

I too wouldn't have too upset with just a point especially after losing the first goal. I would tho' say it was a fair result as we were the team that was trying to win the the game. Wildly paraphrasing the Gary Player maxim but perhaps the more you try to win the luckier you'll get?

I appreciate that this is selective quoting but the "chance presented itself" through Doolan taking a great first touch to spin in the box, use strength to hold off a challenge and fire a precise shot across goal and into the far corner. In short, Doolan turned a loose ball fired into the box into a goal, pretty much all by himself and in a way he's done so often in the past. Sure, he has limitations (and missed chances yesterday) but it should be acknowledged how good his goal actually was.

Looked to me like a Thistle player deliberately passed to him seeing him in space. That said he was closed down quickly and only had a narrow space to shoot at so a very good conversion of the chance into a goal.

Looking at it once more I see the answer to what puzzled me when I first saw the goal - how does Doolan get so much space at first. Defender slides in and cuts out the first pass to him but slides too far and can't get back. Ball goes straight to Thistle player who pings it right back in to Dools. The rest is history.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Did Scully have any good saves yesterday? Did he have to deal with any crosses?

As has been said he wan't under a vast amount of pressure, the goal he conceded was not down to any failing on his part. I thought he looked solid and composed on the rare occasions Caley threatened and performed admirably when called upon.

To sum up I think he did his reputation no harm at all.

As has been said he wan't under a vast amount of pressure, the goal he conceded was not down to any failing on his part. I thought he looked solid and composed on the rare occasions Caley threatened and performed admirably when called upon.

To sum up I think he did his reputation no harm at all.

He had to come off his line very smartly in the second half to grab the ball at the advancing forward's feet.

• Like 1

... Also coming round to the idea of playing Dumbaya further forward with Miller behind and Amoo benched. He takes full backs on now the way we all expected Amoo to do anyway so it's a fairly low risk experiment.

Couldn't agree more. This is well worth a try. Dumbuya has great energy anyway, but with a bit less ground to cover he'd pose an even bigger threat to opposition defences.

Couldn't agree more. This is well worth a try. Dumbuya has great energy anyway, but with a bit less ground to cover he'd pose an even bigger threat to opposition defences.

There's also the three at the back possibility. Dumbaya and Booth are effectively wingbacks anyway. It's just getting the right combination of centrebacks tho' I'd suspect Miller would be one. It's also most certainly dependent on at least one of the trio being able and willing to get up and down the pitch unless when we're being ultra defensive. Probably the only set up where we'd be able to play two up front or more correctly have a second forward (Lawless/Stevenson?) close to the striker.