Pitch Inspection 11.45

Firhillista

Can't it just be played tomorrow? Genuinely, why not? I appreciate that it's close to the next game, but its got to be better than arranging it for a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

I was thinking this earlier, weather tomorrow is to be dry and sunny. Plenty of time for the pitch to drain.

When the media stop fixating about how the world has ended with Sevco in thence one tier; they might reflect on how tight the premier league actually is.

As a larger league supporter I don't believe having mid table clubs, have way thru the season, 3 points off a play off spot particularly appealing.

For once I certainly would prefer the media to fixate on sevco and Ronny Dahlia rather than effuse on the tightness of this claustrophobic set up. Blowing a trumpet about that and we're more likely to end up with a ten team league than a league of sixteen or whatever.

Disappointing that Firhill was the only west of Scotland ground unfit yesterday but is the weather forecast for Wednesday likely to postpone the Aberdeen game? Certainly won't make travel particularly pleasant.

Five premier league games have been postponed this season, two of them at Firhill. If these games are played mid-week there will be a drop in income. It would make economic sense to try to address the drainage problem. Investing in a system to drain the water from under the pitch and store it would be beneficial. The water could then be used to irrigate the pitch, flush toilets etc.. This environment friendly system would also reduce the water bill therefore reducing waste, saving money and maximising income.

Good point BB - I suppose the fact that the ground is surrounded on 2 sides by the canal/canal basin and the fact that the water level is above the pitch makes drainage a real issue - although i suspect some hydrologist would have a solution (albeit probably an expensive one!).

Edited by JeanieD

Possibly, but replayed midweek games in winter = less crowds too (and a loss to the club caused by late postponements)

Over the years there's not been many late postponements. Besides I'm not so sure we could guarantee all summer games to go ahead on schedule. Certainly if last summer was anything to go by. As for the money loss Mr Doncaster is doing a fine job in that department. Summer or winter playing home and away fixtures against Aberdeen on Wednesday and Friday nights will cost both clubs considerable dosh.

Good point BB - I suppose the fact that the ground is surrounded on 2 sides by the canal/canal basin and the fact that the water level is above the pitch makes drainage a real issue - although i suspect some hydrologist would have a solution (albeit probably an expensive one!).

The pitch area that floods is always the same at the city end at the JHS....its been the same for years despite attempts to fix it...but these postponements must cost us real cash

Over the years there's not been many late postponements. Besides I'm not so sure we could guarantee all summer games to go ahead on schedule. Certainly if last summer was anything to go by. As for the money loss Mr Doncaster is doing a fine job in that department. Summer or winter playing home and away fixtures against Aberdeen on Wednesday and Friday nights will cost both clubs considerable dosh.

By late I meant cancelled on match day, and we have had a number of them over the past few years. These must cost the club substantial amounts of money on the day plus a smaller midweek crowd when the games are eventually played.

Not worthy of a thread of it's own and since this thread has kinda veered towards losing turnover I'll ask this question here.................

Why the **** is the Accies v ICT game kicking off at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Asked an Accies fan this evening. He didn't know and can't go as he's (surprise) working. The best a dozen of us could come up with was a clash of fixture with Motherwell's evening match at Fir Pk but that's still way out crazy. I realise it's got hee haw to do with us but more out of curiosity I ask the question why?

It doesn't happen much at all these days, but I can remember back in the 70s we also had some weird and wonderful kick-off times. I seem to remember a Tuesday afternoon cup replay against the Jam Tarts.

The Cup Replay against Hearts was during the Miners Strike...floodlight games were banned and the game was played on a midweek afternoon...I think the crowd was over 10,000...we got humped...we have had very few good results in the Cup over the last 50 years.

Not worthy of a thread of it's own and since this thread has kinda veered towards losing turnover I'll ask this question here.................

Why the **** is the Accies v ICT game kicking off at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Asked an Accies fan this evening. He didn't know and can't go as he's (surprise) working. The best a dozen of us could come up with was a clash of fixture with Motherwell's evening match at Fir Pk but that's still way out crazy. I realise it's got hee haw to do with us but more out of curiosity I ask the question why?

Who the hell is running Scottish Football? Absent the possibility that Accies have a guarantee of World Wide television rights and gazillions in the bank from that, I think they'd be lucky to have a thousand in the ground. This is the SFA doing it's very very best to destroy Scottish Football.