Just In From 2021

Auld Jag

Not the greatest of games but a pretty comfortable win in a Baltic Paisley. Bit of panic in the last few minutes when they got 4 or so corners that could have resulted in goals and eventually did. Other than that Tomas must have had his easiest game in his pink jersey. Thought MOTM was easily wee Steve Lawless...he created absolutely everything. Nice to be through to the next round and what a cracking support we had through there tonight!

• Like 1

All of the above.Thought Amoo had a great game but we allowed St Mirren to close us down too easily. Bit tippy-tippy and McCall like (© Watson Towers) when we should have been more direct. Still, who's going to argue with the next round and two goals from corners?

Amoo played quite well, but I still don't think I've ever seen him kick it with his left foot. If he tried that sometimes he could be excellent.

From the poor vantage point I had, I thought Bannigan was our best player certainly in the 1st half. He was a bit quieter in 2nd. Osman strolled through the game and Booth seemed to be available all the time. We had numerous opportunities in 1st half to take a shot from around the 18 yard line, but elected to play it out wide. Somebody sometime should just take a chance - who knows what might happen

• Like 1

I think we all know how St Mirren will feel tonight. We've been on the receiving end of similar cup defeats to teams in the top division often enough. Respectable scoreline but in truth not really at the races.

We really need to up the pace a bit. Apart from that we're playing good football with no shortage of confidence.

• Like 1

From the poor vantage point I had, I thought Bannigan was our best player certainly in the 1st half. He was a bit quieter in 2nd. Osman strolled through the game and Booth seemed to be available all the time. We had numerous opportunities in 1st half to take a shot from around the 18 yard line, but elected to play it out wide. Somebody sometime should just take a chance - who knows what might happen

All the players you mentioned played well, but Lawless was head and shoulders above (if that's possible) the rest. Thought he was excellent tonight.

Not the greatest of games but a pretty comfortable win in a Baltic Paisley. Bit of panic in the last few minutes when they got 4 or so corners that could have resulted in goals and eventually did. Other than that Tomas must have had his easiest game in his pink jersey. Thought MOTM was easily wee Steve Lawless...he created absolutely everything. Nice to be through to the next round and what a cracking support we had through there tonight!

^^^

• Like 1

Comfortable win if we hadn't conceded that late goal: still I've seen us do much worse to be honest. As for St Mirren, I feel for them as we've been there many times in the past. Overall as at Celtic Park, a good professional performance; with some nice football thrown in and of course two goals from corners!

Negatives the usual lack of an out and out goal threat and a wee bit of panic defending corners at the end, but to be honest I never thought we were in any danger of losing this one.

Positives no one played particularly badly and Dools as ever worked ever so hard. Midfield I thought particularly in the 2nd half ran the show with Welsh, Osman and particularly Brannigan. Defense as I say apart from a wee bit of a wobble at the end I thought dealt well with everything St Mirren threw at them: which to be honest wasn't that much.

My Motm by a head from Brannigan was Stevie Lawless who seemed to take great heart from his performance at Parkhead and by some distance was the most creative player on show.

From my worm's eye view from Row C behind the goal, it was difficult to make out what exactly was happening up at the far end but it felt a comfortable enough victory...we were in control throughout and stepped up the pace at the right time. Both goals were a bit scrambled although it was a brilliant volley from Doolan, with Amoo bundling in the rebound.

Considering how our midfield bossed the game and our defence looked completely untroubled, the last 5 minutes were a bit of a surprise...I was almost pleased St Mirren gave their support something to shout about. The team were not as poor as I had expected but I could understand why their fans were so subdued...they are a long way below the standard of recent years. Despite a big and good-natured Thistle support, the gloom around the home support meant that there wasn't much of a cup tie atmosphere.

Lindsay looks as if he could develop into a really fine defender and with Big Dan gives a real physical presence. Booth continues to improve but while Miller is a solid pro, we missed Dumbuya's ability to make space down the right side. The midfield moved the ball well but lacked a bit of penetration and as has been said they literally passed on opportunities to have a shot.

Doolan is so good at drifting away from defenders into dangerous positions and Lawless is the one player we have who can take on and commit the opposition. Amoo was a bit better than I have seen him but just seems to lack devilment.

The Thistle subs were warming up during the game right in front of me...some of them looked frighteningly young and slight.

It's a cup-tie...we won...the promise can still be fulfilled.

• Like 2

I still think we are not direct enough - what is wrong with RUNNING at their defence? We persist in trying to play wee one twos - when did it ever work? And I would suggest we are not good enough to do them. We watch too much of the top teams on tv I think , the Barcas and Man Cities of this world. If wee Stevie ran at them we might even get a penalty one of these years. No wonder we don't get any. The ball turns into a hot potato when we get into the last third and do we have ANYBODY to deliver that killer pass?

NOPE! Don't see it!

I still think we are not direct enough - what is wrong with RUNNING at their defence? We persist in trying to play wee one twos - when did it ever work? And I would suggest we are not good enough to do them. We watch too much of the top teams on tv I think , the Barcas and Man Cities of this world. If wee Stevie ran at them we might even get a penalty one of these years. No wonder we don't get any. The ball turns into a hot potato when we get into the last third and do we have ANYBODY to deliver that killer pass?

NOPE! Don't see it!

When did our style of passing football ever work? Hmm...

I think Archie summed up the match well.....the first half looked like staring match they gave us the ball in the central area and we passed it around but to no great effect .....we lacked intensity and pressing and rarely got behind them.....there were too many square and backward passes that didn't take us anywhere....second half more urgency , intensity and pressure bad hey presto 2 goals

We played too much in front if than all night imo

All that said we dominated the match and only looked in trouble in the last 5 minutes

St Mirren played very defensive. It was like Scotland under Craig Levein. I can't remember a time when an opposition played like that against us. When this happens we need to keep possession and keep patience which credit to our fans we did not get on their back.

Lawless best player with some great wee turns that created space for him in a congested opposition half. Amoo is frustrating as I think he is not positive enough. He has the ability to get past players but seems reluctant to. Miller looked solid and showed some good place in 2nd half to cover in defence. Made me think why he doesn't overlap more as he has the pace.

Doolan deserved a goal for shot that hit cross bar.

Quite an odd night. Totally dominated for most of the night but didn't often breach the Saints defense. We still need , as we have all season , an attacking midfielder to break the lines. St Mirren made it awkward the way they set themselves up but our work ethic was excellent throughout.

St Mirren , as a club , should be a warning to us. A few seasons ago they were way above us in both terms of squad, finance and league standing and cup winners and a couple of duff decisions at board level and they are were they are now.

Also, that sour faced git Scott Fox should take lessons off of Langfield on how to deal with a bit of heckling. Jamie looks as if he is still enjoying his football as much as the pies.

• Like 2