Steven Lawless

JesusTejero

Giving Lawless the benefit of the doubt, he has been naive in this issue. A simple tweet outlining his desire for the team he supports to win would be acceptable, but it's not when he posts union flags, makes reference to "we are the people" and in general makes himself out to be no better than the Ibrox followers we will need to listen to next season bringing their sectarian bile to Firhill.

If others think his tweets today were acceptable, then there is a case of real double standards, none of us like reading the pish he posted on Twitter, from Joe public Sevco fans, therefore when it's posted by a player who plays for our team, IMO it's much worse.

Unacceptable behaviour from a Partick Thistle player as well, Barney! I expect a statement saying he has lost his phone again. I never liked the Charnley, Celtic, guff when he played with us, but I don't even think Chic would get involved in printing things like COTP!! We have stood by Lawless during a couple of unsavoury incidents, he might not get a third chance.

No he only played for them in a friendly when still employed by another team.

I've always liked Stevie Lawless as a player...but he has been at Firhill for four seasons and if he doesn't realise the hostility Thistle fans have towards all the Old Firm crap he must be very stupid...more likely he doesn't care that we don't like either of them.

It's very disrespectful to the club...I was hoping he would sign up for next season but now I'm not so sure...it's not that he supports another club more that he follows their non-footballing agenda so gleefully.

• Like 4

35i90no.jpg

One team One love. Get your priorities right and leave the baggage at the turnstile.

In the spirit of Shankly ~ Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.

:fan:

Any chance you just post something sensible once in a while?

You often post a lot of good stuff, just don't make it so hard to get to.

Please.

• Like 1

Keep it simple man, you don't need to make all of your posts into an arty statement.

You've got lots of good stuff to say, no need to over embellish it.

Just my opinion.

Noted. ... :thinking:

soqzv4.jpg

:innocent2:

What if the club told the players not to tweet anything regarding the game?

Then he would be an idiot for not following guidence from the club and should get a fine/slap on wrist.

Archie has said on a few occasions that he doesnt like social media and had laid out rules for the guys, if Stevie falls foul of this then that is his look out, the sevco stuff is just us fans taking a hissy.

Edited by jaggybunnet
  • Like 1

That's a sacking offence by any standards.

Steven Lawless is a prize idiot if he is responsible for that.

Irrespective of whom you support, you keep your head down and respect those whom are paying your bread and water.

Speaking hypothetically it could easily be a sacking offence if the culprit was a mere squad player or one of the Under 20s who is not particularly rated. If the culprit is say a 20 goal a season striker or a player who could net a club a six figure sum in the transfer market then I'd suggest a light rap on the knuckles would be considered sufficient. The Suarez fella can have an occasional nibble at a defender's neck and still have a career where other lesser mortals would've been banned sine die. I wonder why that is?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I know Archie wants the highest of standards in the dressing room, but I guess he cannot be across every player's twitter account. .
Could be wrong but sure that (from a meet the manager with Archie in Edinburgh) if the players want to go on social media they had to allow a Thistle rep to receive all posts, tweet and retweets, he said that one of the players had nearly been caught out tweeting or retweeting somthing (it was some thing daft but could have been taken badly) but the rep caught it and got them to take it down before it was noticed. Edited by jaggybunnet

I don't think people are being over dramatic at all. I reckon as a professional football player you have an obligation to your team's fans to at least maintain the pretence that your loyalties lie with your own club. And certainly not with a club which is a local rival and widely disliked by your own team's fans.

Private thoughts are one thing, but to do this on a public forum is not acceptable.

Benefit of the doubt is that he was hammered, and that's not a brilliant defence.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

Benefit of the doubt is that he was hammered, and that's not a brilliant defence.

When I read it, that was my first thought. Crowd of stupid Sevco mates round his gaff, bladdered and egging him on to do it, with the probable knowledge that he won't be at Firhill next season. He has been a good player for us, but as others have said, it won't bother me if this is his last one at the club.

Edited by Lindau

When I read it, that was my first thought. Crowd of stupid Sevco mates round his gaff, bladdered and egging him on to do it, with the probable knowledge that he won't be at Firhill next season. He has been a good player for us, but as others have said, it won't bother me if this is his last one at the club.

Done Thistle a great job in his time at Firhill, but how many times do we need to have words with him over his social media indiscretions? It is plain his heart lies with those bigots over the river. Fine, most people's alliances are with the two ugly sisters, but you zip it in public whilst being paid by another club. I agree, time to let his contract run down and say thanks, but goodbye.

• Like 1

I like Steven Lawless as a player, sadly

he comes up short as a man.

He's entitled to follow any team he likes but his comments on social media are the ramblings

of a fcukwit and most of all are disrespectful to his current employers and the club's fans.

Shame on you Stevie and time for you to move on in my book.

• Like 1

Is Lawless still on a disciplinary warning from previous (publicised) indiscretions? If so, then misbehaviour like this could bring about serious consequences.

At the very least, it suggests thoughtlessness towards his current employer, which must be a warning for any future potential employer.

The boy is, at best, a complete idiot.

The players are constantly warned about what they post on social media, and given Lawless's past indiscretions he more than anyone should have known better.

He's been a good player for us but come on, a joke's a joke now. He's been given chance after chance.

• Like 3

Lawless should have known better especially given the alleged social media warning that was issued to all players by management recently. I'm sure Archie will deal with it internally and that's good enough for me.

In my opinion, we're not in a position to exclude players of Lawless' quality at this moment in time - that's ignoring the fact that would be an excessive and disproportionate punishment. That isn't to say he has carte blanche over his conduct off the pitch, he should undoubtedly be told that those kind of posts will not be tolerated.

I'd still be very keen to retain Lawless and I wouldn't have thought his comments at the weekend will be encouragement for prospective new employers especially given his previous indiscretions.

Lawless should have known better especially given the alleged social media warning that was issued to all players by management recently. I'm sure Archie will deal with it internally and that's good enough for me.

In my opinion, we're not in a position to exclude players of Lawless' quality at this moment in time - that's ignoring the fact that would be an excessive and disproportionate punishment. That isn't to say he has carte blanche over his conduct off the pitch, he should undoubtedly be told that those kind of posts will not be tolerated.

I'd still be very keen to retain Lawless and I wouldn't have thought his comments at the weekend will be encouragement for prospective new employers especially given his previous indiscretions.

Unless it is his beloved Rangers that want him.