2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

See someone on P&B said Jack Hendry was at the Science Park yesterday watching the game. Loan deal on the cards/just watching his old mates before his pre season starts? Who knows, but wouldn't mind seeing him back for a seasons loan this season!

See someone on P&B said Jack Hendry was at the Science Park yesterday watching the game. Loan deal on the cards/just watching his old mates before his pre season starts? Who knows, but wouldn't mind seeing him back for a seasons loan this season!

Purely guesswork but I'd have thought if a Hendry loan deal was imminent we wouldn't be trialing the lad from Fulham who I think is also right sided. I realise the right back position continues to be a concern, and that lad can play there as well as centreback, but I think the emphasis would've shifted to the left side. Competition for Big Liam and cover for Booth may be just more of a priority?

On the defensive issue I'm fairly confident that even if our budget's now lower than anticipated that Archie and Shaggy will bring in decent defensive quality. May have already as well. For every Gabriel or Jake Carroll there's been a succession of shortish stay defenders brought in, all of whom have contributed in no small way. Mair, Dowie, McMillan, Seaborne, Frans and Miller all did a good job. Hendry was also brought in to the U20s and earned us a fair amount. Lindsay most would agree shows potential (as does Penrice) and our two full back replacements for SOD & ATS are class acts.

If other recent closed seasons are anything to go by we may have to wait a while to get the necessary positions filled. True a lot has had to do with our difficulty competing in the market place but it appears just as obvious, to me at least, that Archie/Shaggy won't be panicked into rash signings, particularly in defence. The succession of trialist defenders we've knocked back over the last three summers bears witness to that. So unless the current financial situation is even more dire than we've been led to believe I'm sure we'll have a decent enough defence with adequate cover. Might just not be right away but I can live with that.

Some decent signing news due in next few days i am led to believe ;)

I hope it includes an experienced defender. The current backline looks very young (as well as short on numbers) so I think that we need an older head to talk them through the game. However, if we don't get said player, if you're good enough, you're old enough

I think it has to be a 2 year deal and not just a deal until he gets his fitness back to scratch

Ideally, yes. Been discussed before but there's plenty of ways it can be mutually beneficial to both parties regardless of length of contract. A starting point would be to estimate the cost of bringing in a suitable replacement and compare that with what it'll cost us to retain Banzo. Obviously the regaining fitness issue is the unknown factor but if he was available for the bulk of the season a one year deal, even with a low buy out in January clause, could still be acceptable to the Club.

We most probably no longer have the anticipated remainder of the budget to acquire anyone approaching Bannigan's ability so it's quite feasible some sort of compromise deal with Banzo would be best for us.

Great News, Hopefully he will be back fully fit as soon as possible. Is there any indication how long they reckon until he will be ready? I heard on Archie's interview that he was training so he cant be far off.

I also think it a good deal for both sides. We get Banzo for another year and then the potential to sell him on if he does well and Banzo gets a chance to prove his fitness and put himself in the shop window for a big move.

• Like 1

Magnificent news.

Banzo, Lawless, Erskine, Doolan, Cerny, Osman - 6 cracking players & a great start to what could be a really superb starting XI (defence needs a wee bit of work, unless we're going to go for the 'we'll just score one more than you' approach...)

You can add Booth to that list. And big Liam isn't top far away.

• Like 1