Betfred Cup (League Cup In Old Money)

Big Col

That went well! Has there been any indication how they sorted out the fixtures?

"The fixtures for the Betfred Cup Group Stage follow a design from UEFA used previously for the UEFA Cup. Each Club will play one game at home and the other away against the two clubs drawn immediately below it in the group. Club 1 plays Club 2 at home and Club 3 away; Club 2 plays Club 3 at home and Club 4 away and so on. This is criteria is circular so that the Clubs “immediately below” Club 5 are Club 1 and Club 2 in that order. This mechanism will ensure that each Club will play four games in the Group (two at home and two away)."

• 1 month later...

In the new format of the League Cup, Scotland's 'Big Four' are spared the first round league matches. Fair enough, they have European matches to play. So, this weekend they can all rest before the second legs of their ties.

How have Celtic chosen to use their rest day? They are playing a friendly against Wolfsburg. Of course, this will bring in much more money than a League Cup tie against a Second Division club.

They really are ripping the pi55 out of the football authorities.

• Like 4

Watched the Sevco game on BT Sport today. They said they have 6 games to show in the group stages. Next up Sevco v East Striling, then surprise surprise, Sevco v Stranraer. There might be an insignificant St Johnstone game in between, but FFS it's started already. Total overkill with Scotland's newest team!

In the new format of the League Cup, Scotland's 'Big Four' are spared the first round league matches. Fair enough, they have European matches to play. So, this weekend they can all rest before the second legs of their ties.

How have Celtic chosen to use their rest day? They are playing a friendly against Wolfsburg. Of course, this will bring in much more money than a League Cup tie against a Second Division club.

They really are ripping the pi55 out of the football authorities.

I think they needed match practice before the massive 2nd leg against the Red Imps in midweek!!

To be fair I like the idea of league cup sections and there's no way the the euro teams could take part in the sections

There is a bonus with these League Cup games as well, in that they are competitive, you don't have 20 players getting run outs and it looks like the clubs are being very sensible in the pricing for these games (£12 at Airdrie on Friday)

Watched the Sevco game on BT Sport today. They said they have 6 games to show in the group stages. Next up Sevco v East Striling, then surprise surprise, Sevco v Stranraer. There might be an insignificant St Johnstone game in between, but FFS it's started already. Total overkill with Scotland's newest team!

You chose to watch it. If people didn't watch it, they wouldn't put it on.

They are always going to put on the games that get the most viewers so that they can sell the most advertising time.

• Like 1

You chose to watch it. If people didn't watch it, they wouldn't put it on.

They are always going to put on the games that get the most viewers so that they can sell the most advertising time.

I pay good money to get Sky Sports and BT Sports to watch the football from all over the world, so if there is football on and I ain't doing anything I will watch it. That game yesterday involved two of our competitors for this season, so why shouldn't I watch It?? You honestly think that thousands and thousands will tune in for their games against East Stirling and Stranraer. If they do, it will only be stay at home Sevco fans. Sadly it's only in Scotland where you get the overkill of the same two teams on every week. Even in places like Spain you regularly get other teams games other than the big 2.

Edited by Lindau

D U did not deserve 2 points vs Arbroath.

The penalty shoot out rule is a piece of contrived nonsense.

Was at the Excelsior so didn't see the game live but they showed highlights on BT yesterday. Not sure why you have come to that conclusion. Und were all over them and would have scored 5 if it hadn't have been for a great display by Arbroaths young keeper!

I DEMAND to know why Sevco's game against Annan isn't being shown on Tuesday - this is totally unacceptable - why are they showing only 3 out of the 4 section games for the newbies? Furthermore Annan are a newish team too so I suspect they are being doubly discriminated against - AN OUTRAGE!!!!!! :mad::shocked:

• Like 3

I didn't see the D U game either as I was at Airdrie.

The point is that because they could not beat Arbroath, they did not deserve 2 points. Don't care how much they dominated the game.

Hey, careful there. The penalty shoot out is the brainchild of Neil Doncaster and it's designed to add a bit of interest to these games. I can't believe anyone would want to undermine any of his many initiatives. Have you even taken the time to consider the state our game would be in if he wasn't in charge?

• Like 1

I didn't see the D U game either as I was at Airdrie.

The point is that because they could not beat Arbroath, they did not deserve 2 points. Don't care how much they dominated the game.

Sadly that's the rules of this tournament, so Dundee Und dominated the game, the Arbroath goalie won the man of the match and the Arabs won on penalties, but didn't deserve the two points they gained. Can't quite make that out!! Think it was brought in to encourage more attacking football however I think it will be the opposite as far as the lower league teams are concerned. They are more liable to defend for their lives in the hope that they can get two points by winning the penalty shoot out!

Edited by Lindau

Can you not see the irony here Lindau? You have complained about having Sevco on the TV too much but you have happily sat down and watched it. You say you pay good money to watch football from all over Europe - if you are really that unhappy about Sevco being on the TV all the time you would cancel your subscription. Like it or not, you are endorsing the BT Sport schedule by paying for it and watching it.

Sky and BT Sport are killing the fan experience here with their ridiculous kick off times and the pittance they pay for the privilege, and to happily hand over money to them is an endorsement of that.

• Like 2

To be honest I like the New league cup set up. It does away with too many meaningless pre-season games and offers a slighty more competitive warm-up before the season starts.

I do feel however trialists should be allowed and players who play in the league stage should not be cup tied if they were to move to another club before that transfer window. This means clubs could still have a look at new players and wouldnt hinder players who could potentially be looking for a move before the league season starts by being cup tied for the rest of the tournament.

I suppose once the groups stage has been complete we will have a better understanding on what the clubs think and if it is a success.

Can you not see the irony here Lindau? You have complained about having Sevco on the TV too much but you have happily sat down and watched it. You say you pay good money to watch football from all over Europe - if you are really that unhappy about Sevco being on the TV all the time you would cancel your subscription. Like it or not, you are endorsing the BT Sport schedule by paying for it and watching it.

Sky and BT Sport are killing the fan experience here with their ridiculous kick off times and the pittance they pay for the privilege, and to happily hand over money to them is an endorsement of that.

I see where you are coming from, but I only watched that game on Saturday because

1) I had nothing else to do

2) I get BT Sport for free with Virgin....though I do pay for Sky Sports

3) These are two teams we will be going head to head with this season.

There ain't a cats chance in hell of me watching Sevco's upcoming games against the mighty East Stirling and Stranraer. I agree that it probably would be better for Scottish football not to be televised at all, but that ain't going to happen and on cold winters nights when the Jags aren't playing I do enjoy my fix of English games.