Airdrie 15/07/2016....first Competitive Game Of Season.

Lindau

I got an email from Bowen boy the top of my choice from our draw is from tonight's game my choice Dools so very happy to get

A top from the great man hope they dry it first seemingly a wet night for the game great to get our first win onwards and upwards

Great that he scored wearing it! I expect it will be washed, dried and signed tomorrow.

Quite a hard night! I heard the Airdrie fill in manager interviewed before the game on the radio and I got a wee inkling that it might be quite hard for us. They played football and were organised and we looked a wee bit disjointed.

Thought Welsh was good and Wilson covered a lot of ground but I wish at times he would slow it a bit - why does he try to do everything at 100 mph?

Our goalie was confident; the full backs were decent with Ziggy doing okay considering he was just in the door.

Thought Lindsay was the better of the central defenders.

Lawless was quieter than he has been in pre season and Erskine wasn't given a lot of space. Dools too was well policed but took his goal well after the mix up in their defence. McDaid got a pass mark.

Azeez was brill when he came on and will cause the opposition some bother this year with his pace and strength.

No real failures and a hard workout. Onward and upwards and I hope the injuries clear soon.

Justin. First game of the season. Thoughts. Goalie was fine with a couple of excellent stops and done more shouting than I have seen Scully do in his whole career. Gordon was ok, he will be a good signing when fully fit. Booth was very subdued. Central defence worries me greatly. We need a real prescence in there. Thought Wilson had a good game as did Welsh, McDaid tried hard. Looks like Erskine, Lawless and Doolan will be a potent force this season, but the real talking point of the night was Azeeze. Big, powerful, good in the air and very fast. It's only one game but he could be a real find. Not a bad nights entertainment and a cracking Jags support through there!

I know its early days but we were woeful in possession in the 2nd half. We scored a fortunate soft goal from amateurish defending. Azeez looks strong and fast but his touch is poor and his finishing was sadly disappointing. Big liam was lucky he got away without as much as a booking for not once, but twice kicking out at the boy, he doesnt seem to have learned his lessons from last season. As i said its early days but we will need to be much better than that if we are to do well this season. We all had a good laugh at celtic the other night but i would fear our chances against part time opposition.

Thought Azeez's shot was well saved rather than a poor effort.

Breathed a sigh of relief at the end as the longer the game went on the more the players were slipping on that surface. Happy with that as three of the back four had no real pre-season. No failures tonight just as there wasn't anyone that was a stand out success. If tonight's game had been purely a friendly I'd have come away fairly chuffed. So the combination of good workout and a result seems OK with me.

• Like 1

If you look at context, I was pretty happy.

Contexts being ridiculously early to play a competitive game, lot of players not match fit, players just getting to know one another.

I would single out David Wilson for praise. Never shirked a challenge and his passing is sometimes a joy to watch. Like every other player we have had that I can remember who sprays it about he does make the odd bad pass and they look really bad. If he can cut that out or at least reduce it, I think there's a player in him as Archie has always said and as many doubted.

Mcdaid got a lot of stick too. But I think positional and commitment wise he seems to have improved. Long may that continue. He and Wilson also delivered much better corners than we are used to seeing. Mcdaid was also involved in some really good exchanges in play with Doolan Erskine and lawless.

Azeez. Wow. Power pace strength and movement. With our coaches track record in improving players I am really looking forward to watching him for the next two seasons!

Back 4. Ziggy will be decent but was clearly not really match fit yet. Lindsay looks much fitter and leaner than last season? I still think we need a good centre back and then we would really have a very very good squad for this season.

If you look at context, I was pretty happy.

Contexts being ridiculously early to play a competitive game, lot of players not match fit, players just getting to know one another.

I would single out David Wilson for praise. Never shirked a challenge and his passing is sometimes a joy to watch. Like every other player we have had that I can remember who sprays it about he does make the odd bad pass and they look really bad. If he can cut that out or at least reduce it, I think there's a player in him as Archie has always said and as many doubted.

Mcdaid got a lot of stick too. But I think positional and commitment wise he seems to have improved. Long may that continue. He and Wilson also delivered much better corners than we are used to seeing. Mcdaid was also involved in some really good exchanges in play with Doolan Erskine and lawless.

Azeez. Wow. Power pace strength and movement. With our coaches track record in improving players I am really looking forward to watching him for the next two seasons!

Back 4. Ziggy will be decent but was clearly not really match fit yet. Lindsay looks much fitter and leaner than last season? I still think we need a good centre back and then we would really have a very very good squad for this season.

^^^^^ this

I don't get home much to see Thistle but the last time was to attend the Friday night Aberdeen game that was rained off!! My mate, who is a Celtic fan, was coming to the Thistle game and we also had tickets for Celtic v ICT the following day. Devine played that day, alongside Warren I believe, and, particularly in the first half, he absolutely strolled it. Additionally good and,like the rest of their back four,distributed well. They were undone by really good movement by Celtic but, overall, the Celtic fans were really frustrated at half time that they couldn't put the ICT defence under any kind of pressure. It may be he needs a more commanding central defender alongside him but,personally, I think he'll be a great addition. I'm in the Air Force, just been posted back to UK, and went to see them v Cirencester, thought trialist that night looked decent,not sure if it was Kelly or not but looked reasonably good against pish opposition. Hope you all enjoy the new season, I have a really good feeling about it!

Wilson man of the match. I didn't think he was good enough. Perhaps he didn't think so either. But I have changed my mind.

I know the opposition wasn't great but he took control of the game and, especially 2nd half sprayed around some great passes. Also a great piece of skill to beat a man and cross for Erskine's header.

Go on young Davie, take confidence and go on to great things.

Agree with previous poster re Azeez. Looked great at first but has an awful touch. Raw materials need to be need to be looked after, developed and honed to perfection. I assume previous coaches have tried this without success. But Archie and Shaggy should get to work with this guy as he could terrorise defences. Still young enough to learn.

Wilson man of the match. I didn't think he was good enough. Perhaps he didn't think so either. But I have changed my mind.

I know the opposition wasn't great but he took control of the game and, especially 2nd half sprayed around some great passes. Also a great piece of skill to beat a man and cross for Erskine's header.

Go on young Davie, take confidence and go on to great things.

Agree with previous poster re Azeez. Looked great at first but has an awful touch. Raw materials need to be need to be looked after, developed and honed to perfection. I assume previous coaches have tried this without success. But Archie and Shaggy should get to work with this guy as he could terrorise defences. Still young enough to learn.

Agree re Wilson. I have slated him for his performances, but he played very well last night. Re Azeez, pretty sure I read some Wimbledon fans saying he was big, powerful and fast....and they got that right. They also said he was capable of dribbling past 5 players then tripping over his feet....they got that right as well....lol. Massive potential there if someone can work on him in training

Pleased enough with it considering lack of match fitness a few of the guys had. Solid debut of gordon and im sure more to come. Booth looked rusty and tired a bit in second half. I agree that central defence is biggest worry, devine looked average and lindsay whilst promisng is prone to mistakes so we do need another body in there.

Welsh and wilson played well, wilson is a lovely passer of the ball, this is make or break this year i think.

Mcdaid can go anytime hes not up to it. Would be delighted if he proved me wrong but i dont see anything to be excited about.

Lawless dools and erskine will get us plenty goals this year. Azeez was a revelation when he came on, huge physical presence.

Looking forward to next week onwards and upwards

• Like 1

For a stop gap, I thought the keeper done well. Its good to have a commanding keeper who shouts and bawls to his team mates, something that Lindsay must take on board for a centre back. Thought Wilson was outstanding until it was pointed out to me it was only Airdrie, still he really done well, if he only had the hairy balls to go at defences and shoot like McNamara's Bannigan used to do. Lawless, Dools & Erskine just might make the difference, again its big testicle time show no fear. Azeez is a rough diamond who still has a lot to learn, he must know his place in the team and where he is expected to play, you just cant throw him on the park to run around like a big daft horse, and by the way that was a very bad miss must do better. Still need an experienced Centre half to look after Lindsay....all in all for a top flight team 1-0 at the start of the season against diddy teams is just where Scottish football is at the moment........disappointing.

Doubt we could expect anything else other than what we got. A bit of a mixed bag comfortable going forward, apart from in the box ( where have we seen that defore?), but a bit ropey in the Centre of the defence. Overall, I don't think we learned anything that we didn't know before the game. From Archies perspective I guess the important thing was to get a win, without conceding and also get the benefits of 90 minutes of competitive action under your belt. In addition, it was vital that we didn't suffer a morale crushing defeat a la Hamilton or Dundee. We'll have to step it up a gear again on Saturday against Queens-but, all in all I'm quiet content as the prospect of a new league season draws closer.

Usual high standard of journalism from Chick Young on BBC site's report:

"Every time Doolan scored last season, Thistle won, and they did again."

Chic Young exposes himself once again as a complete and utter prick.

He's an insult to intelligent analysis of the game and also his profession.

Dools has performed a few miracles in his time with the Jags, but even he cannot turn a 2-2 draw against Kilmarnock, a 4-2 defeat to Dundee, a 4-1 defeat to Fake Thistle, a 3-3 draw at Tannadice and a 2-2 draw against Hamilton into wins.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Dools has performed a few miracles in his time with the Jags, but even he cannot turn a 2-2 draw against Kilmarnock, a 4-2 defeat to Dundee, a 4-1 defeat to Fake Thistle, a 3-3 draw at Tannadice and a 2-2 draw against Hamilton into wins.

his phone rang during his interview with archie after the game, bit unprofessional

Thought that nugget was retiring? Guess he has postponed it, because his greatest love, even though only 4 years old, is in the top league for the first time ever!

• Like 1