Partick Thistle Vs St. Johnstone - Saturday 10 September

jagfox

The game could never have lived up to the huge media hype all through the week but that was a dreadful game of football - a dire performance, a flat atmosphere with the loudmouth moaner behind me being all too clearly heard and a dour and ordinary St Johnstone winning comfortably...a belting shot for their second but Scully didn't have anything else to do in the hour he was on the park.

I'm always baffled by their consistent top six finishes and Cup Semi-Final appearances but they close down well and defend competently against long high balls. We played right into their hands...or heads. I have never see us play well when Doolan is in that withdrawn role and Azeez looked more of a threat with his pace, strength and clumsy touch. Lawless & Erskine had off-days and Osman contributed little in a creative sense. We rely on our full backs getting forward but neither Gordon or Booth carried any threat - Callum had his poorest ever game for us both in defence and attack. Devine was uncertain on the ball...Lindsay & Welsh were ok but not great...picking a Man of the Match was a challenge.

I've not been a fan of Edwards but at least he showed some energy & drive...but he failed to pick out a Thistle player when put through by a clever backheel from Lawless, he seemed to get in Gordon's way for the back post header and gave the ball away for their second goal.

I was looking forward to see Adam Barton play...

was really looking forward to the game today

started off not too badly then we lost the first goal after that downhill

others have already posted on barton signed 3 year deal has been playing most games this season so we asume he is match fit

last game against hearts osman and edwards played in midfield and both played well

welsh comes back after suspension and goes straight into the team

today edwards came on second half and started taking the game to the opposition he was my mom

he must start next wek

azeez was taken off i don't know why, thought he was doing ok thought doolan should have been subbed

barton must also start next week probably replacing one of our centre backs

i strongly feel archie has got to look at his team formation and tactics so so predictable

this lacklustre display from the players is becoming par for the course this season

still feel that booth is not match fit

and for ziggy (who i rate) i think he should keep his mouth shut and concentrate on his game for the rest of the season

really really disappointed on that display today which in turn will not bring the punters through the gates

edwards hit a ball to their player for the second goal - was okay but not outstanding. Should have done far better with the header

That was grim. No real pass marks to be given out.

We are going to struggle with that defence. Are we better off in that department than we were last year? Not for me.

Can't really figure out the system, we have no width. Dools is not a midfielder, or even a number 10. Tries hard but a waste of a jersey in that position which leaves us short of a midfielder. Erskine and Lawless seem to want to play in the same part of the pitch and Osman and Welsh excel in sideways and back.

Worryingly I don't think we know our best system or our best 11.

It was his slack ball that led to their second goal and then there was his miss right in front of goal...

This.

I like Ryan Edwards, I think he is an asset to the current team, but there's no getting away from facts - and in terms of today's game Charlie has stated them accurately.

When he sticks that second goal away against Celtic in the catch up fixture, all will be forgiven.

Charles will agree, no doubt.

Let's consider the opposition. The longer the game went on the more I admired what they do well. It's not entertaining but every man is on top of the opposition like a ton of bricks. We had no room and no ideas and no time and were made to look very ordinary.

They know how to defend and some of their tackling was top notch. Eight or nine behind the ball and they punt the ball up the park at every opportunity and play decently in the last third.

We beat them three times last season or they might have ended higher than fourth if we hadn't. Don't think they finished in THAT exalted position by playing like they did against us three times. They beat a lot of teams last season by doing exactly what they did to us today. Closing down, denying space and tackling well. We, frankly, looked naive. How many times did they get free kicks by going down well in the right areas and they are much more dangerous than us in dead ball situations?

We still get into the last third and give the ball away or try the Hollywood pass. They rarely do that.

They are organised and not a lot of fun to watch but DON'T give them encouragement by a goal of a start.

What an absolute clusterf*ck of a performance today. I would love to know what Lawless has to do to be dropped, the guy has been stinking for ages now. Osman also continues to be poor and still seems to be miles off the pace. Back four was also abysmal. Could not believe it when I saw Welsh had waltzed back into the team at the expense of Edwards. Edwards and Azeez were the only players who seemed up for it today. I'm also not seeing what Doolan is bringing to the team at the moment, totally anonymous again today. All talk of top 6 should be off, survival is the key and based on today it could be a long season.

• Like 1

What an absolute clusterf*ck of a performance today. I would love to know what Lawless has to do to be dropped, the guy has been stinking for ages now. Osman also continues to be poor and still seems to be miles off the pace. Back four was also abysmal. Could not believe it when I saw Welsh had waltzed back into the team at the expense of Edwards. Edwards and Azeez were the only players who seemed up for it today. I'm also not seeing what Doolan is bringing to the team at the moment, totally anonymous again today. All talk of top 6 should be off, survival is the key and based on today it could be a long season.

Doolan's natural role is being sacrificed so Azeez can get a start.

2 home games out of 3 lost. Irrespective of the opposition these are not good figures.

• Like 1

Not a tactician by any stretch of the imagination so can't comment on that, but after the first 15 mins or so it looked like everyone forgot how to play as a team. Seemed an awful lot of slips on the playing surface too.

Let's hope they get this out of their system now that we have a run of games without layoffs.

Thought setting out so narrow today came back to bite us. That said with Booth not up to speed (imo at least) and Gordon not really an overlapping type of fullback, we don't have much to offer width wise. Lost count of the number of times Lawless, Erskine, Doolan and latterly also Edwards got caught under each other's feet simply because there was no positive wide outlet.

Lawless is rarely productive when he's deployed anywhere left of centre and looks a very average player in that position. Ironic as his goal of the season last year was against St Johnstone cutting in from the right.

• Like 1

Thought setting out so narrow today came back to bite us. That said with Booth not up to speed (imo at least) and Gordon not really an overlapping type of fullback, we don't have much to offer width wise. Lost count of the number of times Lawless, Erskine, Doolan and latterly also Edwards got caught under each other's feet simply because there was no positive wide outlet.

Lawless is rarely productive when he's deployed anywhere left of centre and looks a very average player in that position. Ironic as his goal of the season last year was against St Johnstone cutting in from the right.

Would agree with this. Dynamic fullback play was missing today.

Either or both Lawless or Doolan should go to the bench. Amoo did not do too much wromg to lose his place and he would give us the width as well as having the habit of turning up in the right place to score.Edwards provides good energy as well.

Azeez has improved his touch and link up play. Very surprised that he was subbed rather than Lawless or Doolan.

I am sure that Archie's plans to introduce Barton into the action were scuppered by the enforced goalkeeping substitution.

By far the worst performance in recent times, the sort of performance that would get any other manager his P45.

At no time did thistle look as if they knew how to attack. Booth is not up to this level by todays showing, the only thing he offers is his cross, but if he cant use the wing then he is only baggage we don't need. Just before the first goal we must have passed the ball about thirty times before a weak attempt at goal. the Saints in about five or six, got the ball in the net, a goal that Booth was totally responsible for. Lawless must get a wee shot at the bench, because he hasn't kicked a ball this season, Edwards due an assist on the second goal, just because, like the rest of the team kicked the ball back instead of forward, to an opposing player. Football brain missing.

As said in the past, if there is nobody better than Booth in the development team then wind them up cause it isn't working and were only taking money from the Weirs under false pretences.

Booth is not up to this level by todays showing, the only thing he offers is his cross, but if he cant use the wing then he is only baggage we don't need.

As said in the past, if there is nobody better than Booth in the development team then wind them up cause it isn't working and were only taking money from the Weirs under false pretence

Football brain missing

1) Honestly I despair. Are you serious? Did you go to any games last season where he was outstanding? He has came back from an injury and is clearly not up to speed yet but to say "he is not up to this level" is staggering!

2) We have an excellent left back in the Development side in young James Penrice, I guess you must have missed the games he played at the end of last season

3) Correct!

I can't believe the abuse Booth is getting. He was left isolated the whole game, but was expected to patrol the whole length of the park. Lawless and others see him as the 'out' ball and nobody gave him any support. Every time he got the ball Swanson & Foster closed him down, but he had no pass option. He also setup our best chance of the game for Edwards

I can't believe the abuse Booth is getting. He was left isolated the whole game, but was expected to patrol the whole length of the park. Lawless and others see him as the 'out' ball and nobody gave him any support. Every time he got the ball Swanson & Foster closed him down, but he had no pass option. He also setup our best chance of the game for Edwards

Agree totally with that.Booth is off form but our constant playinig the ball from side to side instead of trying to go through the middle is leaving him isolated .

We've been here before with this team , tempo far too slow , too long on the ball and playing across the pitch instead of attacking down the centre of the pitch.

Things should have been changed after thirty min.

• Like 1

a very flat performance, started ok but the goal took away what little wind was in our sails and we were stinking from then on.

no-one really deserves pass marks, but I think some of the critiscsim has been ott, we'll bounce back, we have a good manager and a good squad, we'll put this right and start picking up points I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

I was really impressed with the line up for the Hearts game, 1 defensive midfielder and a very attack minded team. The team then started at a great tempo and played very well against a good Hearts side.

The difference in attitude of the players and the the line up yesterday was huge. We reverted to a defensive midfield, and the players did not show the same energy. The crowd were also flat in comparison to the previous game. Amazing change from one game to the other.

Hopefully against Kilmarnock we revert to the energy and positive team formation we had for the Hearts game.

Having watched the interview with Archie and Ryan, it seems to me the manager will start with Ryan. The manager also felt the defensive lapses were due to non movement of players in front on him. But I think we need to try Barton in central defence. Neither centre half is comfortable with the ball, and with Thomas possibly out, we need good communication and composure at the back.

Poor day all round, but this is the way it has been my whole life supporting thistle. Ups and downs. Aside from the ICT game, our fixtures had us due to play 4 from last seasons top 5. And although St J are not a team I'd like to watch every week, they will probably be top 5 again this season.

We simply need to play better from the start and I hope Archie recognises we are better when more taking the have to the opposition.

By far the worst performance in recent times, the sort of performance that would get any other manager his P45.

At no time did thistle look as if they knew how to attack. Booth is not up to this level by todays showing, the only thing he offers is his cross, but if he cant use the wing then he is only baggage we don't need. Just before the first goal we must have passed the ball about thirty times before a weak attempt at goal. the Saints in about five or six, got the ball in the net, a goal that Booth was totally responsible for. Lawless must get a wee shot at the bench, because he hasn't kicked a ball this season, Edwards due an assist on the second goal, just because, like the rest of the team kicked the ball back instead of forward, to an opposing player. Football brain missing.

As said in the past, if there is nobody better than Booth in the development team then wind them up cause it isn't working and were only taking money from the Weirs under false pretences.

Understand why you are pissed off, but bad as this performance was it certainly wasn't as bad as the nightmare at Tannadice. I agree entirely that Lawless has had an appalling start to the league campaign . To me it looks like he has been in the comfort zone for too long and as sabbath suggest, perhaps a spell on the bench might re-ignite his enthusiasm? Similarly, I have concerns about Scott Booth's performances this season. Ad to that our normal failings at set-pieces and crosses always annoy a me. I too was surprised that our new signing didn't start.

All in all things are not great at the minute, but their not bleak either, I'll give it till we visit Castle Greyskull before embarking on all out panic mode. We've got to believe Archie will get things sorted and soon. Incidentally, I don't want to go to Ibrox and defend: as events yesterday showed they are not at a particularly higher level than us and assuming that we get back on track, we should be looking for a win!

I'm certainly not giving Booth abuse but I do think he's not firing on all cylinders yet. When he is he (along with Mustapha or Elliott) can give us the width that was so obviously missing yesterday. So at the moment we have a right back that regardless of good or poor performances is (like Miller and McMillan) not an ideal fit and a left back that looks overstretched. Your point about Booth and the constant out ball is valid and says much of how little we have to offer in attack on the other side of the park.

Normally I think Amoo or Lawless (playing a bit wider) ahead of Gordon and Booth showing the energy level of last season playing alone down the left would be sufficient width wise. Till then, short of fielding three at the back or playing Amoo down the left (never looked comfortable there) our best bet could be Elliott coming into the side with probably Lawless dropping out.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett