Partick Thistle Vs Kilmarnock Fc 17 September

jagfox

I do appreciate what Doolan brings to the team and I am well aware of the amount of goals he has scored for thistle. It is just very frustrating when I feel he could have more with his head. I think his first touch of the ball is second to none in the league and what he does with bringing other players into play again he does well. I am giving criticism for one aspect of his play. I don't feel I am being harsh in what I say. It's just something I picked up on over the seasons and is very very frustrating as he could win a lot more headers and grab a few more goalsshould he time his jump right.

On another note I felt that it was a very entertaining game of football today and end to end for the most part.

Thought we played well yesterday and played some lovely football, but one thing is clear and has been since the start of the season, we are frail defensively compared to last season. So far Devine and Gordon are not as good as we had last season. As I have said before, I was amazed at the amount of people that were unfazed about us losing most of our central defence in what was one of our better defences in recent years. Miller, Seaborne and Frans have been replaced by Gordon and Devine and certainly at the moment the defence is way weaker. The second goal was a joke yesterday and Liam's fresh air swipe for the first wasn't much better. Fair dues to Scully, thought he had a very good game and David Amoo brought a different dimension to our attack. Just wish he could do that every week. Kris Doolan is a worry at the moment as we only really have one other striker, though to be fair he hadn't really been played as an out and out striker this season and he does tend to score goals in batches rather than regularly. Still it was a massive improvement from last Saturday, but we need to get the defence sorted or it could be a long season!

• Like 2

Thought we played well yesterday and played some lovely football, but one thing is clear and has been since the start of the season, we are frail defensively compared to last season. So far Devine and Gordon are not as good as we had last season. As I have said before, I was amazed at the amount of people that were unfazed about us losing most of our central defence in what was one of our better defences in recent years. Miller, Seaborne and Frans have been replaced by Gordon and Devine and certainly at the moment the defence is way weaker. The second goal was a joke yesterday and Liam's fresh air swipe for the first wasn't much better. Fair dues to Scully, thought he had a very good game and David Amoo brought a different dimension to our attack. Just wish he could do that every week. Kris Doolan is a worry at the moment as we only really have one other striker, though to be fair he hadn't really been played as an out and out striker this season and he does tend to score goals in batches rather than regularly. Still it was a massive improvement from last Saturday, but we need to get the defence sorted or it could be a long season!

Although Archie continually surprises us with out of the blue signings I'm doubtful if there is any more in the kitty for a new CB.

Can't understand the negativity of some on here! Sure it was extremely disappointing not to win yesterday, but I've really got to say I defy anyone who attended Rugby Park yesterday, to claim we played poorly or did not provide value for money in terms of entertainment. The negatives were failings we've all been aware of since the League Cup campaign i.e. Our obvious defensive failings. I''m sure the management team don't need us to point this out and equally as Jags supporters we've got to be realistic about the solution: I trust the management staff who brought us here to get our defence sorted. And as for not taking our chances, I'm afraid that 's been the case since I've been going to Firhill (circa mid 1970s) and to be honest I don't see it changing any time soon.

I'm certainly by no means part of the 'happy clappy' gang, but I do believe it's far too easy for us to slip into a completely negative state of mind. The real test of our mettle I believe, will be our trip to Castle Greyskull in a couple of weeks: as I honestly believe that if we curb our defensive generosity, it's our best chance of turning over that lot at their own midden since our win in 1980.

• Like 1

Can't understand the negativity of some on here! Sure it was extremely disappointing not to win yesterday, but I've really got to say I defy anyone who attended Rugby Park yesterday, to claim we played poorly or did not provide value for money in terms of entertainment. The negatives were failings we've all been aware of since the League Cup campaign i.e. Our obvious defensive failings. I''m sure the management team don't need us to point this out and equally as Jags supporters we've got to be realistic about the solution: I trust the management staff who brought us here to get our defence sorted. And as for not taking our chances, I'm afraid that 's been the case since I've been going to Firhill (circa mid 1970s) and to be honest I don't see it changing any time soon.

I'm certainly by no means part of the 'happy clappy' gang, but I do believe it's far too easy for us to slip into a completely negative state of mind. The real test of our mettle I believe, will be our trip to Castle Greyskull in a couple of weeks: as I honestly believe that if we curb our defensive generosity, it's our best chance of turning over that lot at their own midden since our win in 1980.

Agreed with everything you say, except the last part. This will be the first time we have ever played this club. Our record against them starts in a few weeks!

Thought it was a very entertaining game yesterday where we played some very good stuff at times. The two goals we lost were very preventable which is a worry as we seem to be leaking goals left,right and centre. Thought Scully was excellent yesterday, the save down low in the first half was world class and it was the most confident I have seen him look. Amoo was absolutely fantastic and really does make us look more positive going forward. Credit to Lawless who put in a very good showing after a long run of poor performances. We need to get it sorted defensively or we will continue to be down at the bottom end of the table!

Thought it was a very entertaining game yesterday where we played some very good stuff at times. The two goals we lost were very preventable which is a worry as we seem to be leaking goals left,right and centre. Thought Scully was excellent yesterday, the save down low in the first half was world class and it was the most confident I have seen him look. Amoo was absolutely fantastic and really does make us look more positive going forward. Credit to Lawless who put in a very good showing after a long run of poor performances. We need to get it sorted defensively or we will continue to be down at the bottom end of the table!

It was a great turn and finish from Lawless. Let's hope he's coming into a run of good form.

...In all honesty apart from our defensive frailties I think we did very little wrong today.

All good football teams are built on a sound defence. We don't have one. Penrice, after performing creditably, has been dropped out of sight, we have no defender guiding the others since losing Dan Seabourne and because our preferred right-back has a long-term injury the replacement broadcasts that he's a world-beater but fails to live up to the standards of his recent predecessors. We have a relatively young centre back who finds turning difficult and frequently makes basic errors.

With a shaky defence, staying up this season is going to be very challenging. Just managing to draw with Killie, a team scrambled together at the last minute, is a reflection of that challenge. :help:

Penrice, after performing creditably, has been dropped out of sight.

I don't think putting Penrice in a shaky defence right now would be good for his development. He didn't look upto it defensively yet in the few games I've seen him, even though I think he's a cracking prospect.

Thought Booth looked much more like it yesterday. Amazing how effective his one-twos with Lawless are.

It is difficult for me to understand the negativity as well, considering the situation we found ourselves in at the start of the season. 1st of all we had a number of players who had surgery in the close season and couldn't take part fully in pre season(Osman,Booth,Elliot). We then had Dumbuya getting a long term injury on the eve of pre season and had to bring in Gordon to fill in and a temporary keeper while Cerny got fit? Both of theses using up some budget no doubt earmarked for a central defender. Added to that we had the screw up(by SPFL or Thistle), of the fixtures.

As it stands, we have lost to 3 teams in the top 6; beaten at home and drawn away to teams in the bottom 6.

We are where we are this season and can only hope that things improve.

• Like 1

Agreed with everything you say, except the last part. This will be the first time we have ever played this club. Our record against them starts in a few weeks!

Yes apologies for my obvious error it will be the first time that we'll have officially played The Rangers!

Oh and a big shout out to Celtic for failing to beat ICT and ensuring we ended up bottom this weekend, FTOF!

• Like 1

I don't think putting Penrice in a shaky defence right now would be good for his development. He didn't look upto it defensively yet in the few games I've seen him, even though I think he's a cracking prospect.

Thought Booth looked much more like it yesterday. Amazing how effective his one-twos with Lawless are.

Yes apologies for my obvious error it will be the first time that we'll have officially played The Rangers!������

"Apologising doesn't always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right. It means you value your relationship more than your ego" -Confucius (just before stubbing an opium filled cigarette out in the eye of a trainee philosopher)

We need to sign a tall, capable, centre back,

Maybe yon new fella Stuckmann will fit the bill. Sweeper-Keepers being all the rage and that.

Seriously tho', need to or not, I cannot see any more signings this side of January. I imagine the budget has been overstretched as it is with the arrival of Barton & Stuckmann (sounds like a firm of solicitors).

Maybe yon new fella Stuckmann will fit the bill. Sweeper-Keepers being all the rage and that.

Seriously tho', need to or not, I cannot see any more signings this side of January. I imagine the budget has been overstretched as it is with the arrival of Barton & Stuckmann (sounds like a firm of solicitors).

You go to development games and such. Anyone there would could play in the First team? Centre Back?

Edited by douglas clark

You go to development games and such. Anyone there would could play in the First team? Centre Back?

No centre backs ready. Some cracking prospects in the young side but the only ones I would say could be drafted in, in an emergency would be Penrice and (when he comes back) Nesbit