Partick Thistle Vs Kilmarnock Fc 17 September

jagfox

The more ye look at the Azeez chance when he can win the game the more disappointing it is to say the least. He does well to get into the position but for a professional footballer, a striker no less, its not a difficult opportunity to score and kick off his career in the rid an yella. If i wis archie, id have him just practicing how to run with the ball and shooting. Forget tactics fir him, jist score ****** goals

• Like 1

No centre backs ready. Some cracking prospects in the young side but the only ones I would say could be drafted in, in an emergency would be Penrice and (when he comes back) Nesbit

I wonder how far away McMullen is from the squad. His reading of the game has improved no end and he has always been good in the air. Being naturally left sided will probably assist. But in answer to to the question 2 posts up I've got to agree with Lindau. I'd just add McMullen into the emergency list as one who could help out.

The more ye look at the Azeez chance when he can win the game the more disappointing it is to say the least. He does well to get into the position but for a professional footballer, a striker no less, its not a difficult opportunity to score and kick off his career in the rid an yella. If i wis archie, id have him just practicing how to run with the ball and shooting. Forget tactics fir him, jist score ****** goals

Karel Poborski would have scored!

Apart from that supreme example, I am sure that I have seen more of that sort of chance missed than scored. Ade Azeez did well to get in front of the defender, but he was still under pressure from behind and did not have much time to choose his angle of elevation. He was within a whisker of getting this perfect. So often that type of shot ends up clearing the bar

No centre backs ready. Some cracking prospects in the young side but the only ones I would say could be drafted in, in an emergency would be Penrice and (when he comes back) Nesbit

not as centre backs but McDaid and Wilson have played several times for the first team as well and I guess will be keen to get back in

I agree with Lenziejag. It's almost laughable how seldom they hit the target never mind score. Noticeable that Dools, our top scorer year in year out, DOES do better than the rest.

There is only one way to be a regular scorer and it's to practise, practise, practise. All the guys on the larger stage were not born with the ability to score from all angles. Certainly some are more gifted than others but if two or three got together on a regular basis surely they would improve their skills. Just look at the stories of the Beckhams of this world who spent hours practising curling in free kicks.

Was it Lee Trevino or Gary Player who said "the more I practise the luckier I get"? Equally relevant in our game and there have been some pretty ordinary footballers who have made huge names for themselves by having the skill of putting away chances.

Surely extra work MUST help? And have you noticed that there are still loads of players at our level who can't even get a good hit on the ball? Can't even kick the ball solidly. Surely THAT should be a given for a professional footballer?

Can concur with Lenziejag re the pre match warm up. The shooting is often woeful. Has been for a long time regardless of how successful or unsuccessful we've been. I think tho' citing the Gary Player maxim is perhaps a bit unfair. For all we know these guys may practice shooting all week or not retire till they've hit x amount of shots on target and past the keeper. Certainly any time I've been at one of those open training days they've been far more clinical.

Doesn't of course explain the rather haphazard approach to shooting pre match. Maybe that's just viewed more as a loosening up exercise?

Walking to your seat in the stand behind the goal can be a seriously risky business for punters during the pre-match warm-up. I sometimes wonder whether players haven't got a wee competition going on: 10 points for somebody with a pie and bovril, 8 points for a pensioner, etc.

Still it's a hell of a safer just now with Gary Fraser injured :)

compared to who? when was the last time Welsh kept the baw inside firhill? cant really remember Osman ever hit a shot at goal, banzo isnae bad when he has his attacking heed on right enough. Id rather we took a shot than the relentless square baws.

I'd rather the players did something to try and create an actual chance rather than punt it towards the goal when they've got absolutely no chance of scoring tbh.

I'm fairly sure Fraser has been under instructions to shoot when he wants to rather than breaking ranks and selfishly having a go. Personally I don't think Fraser's goals at Tynecastle and Dens were in any way flukes and I doubt there's many who would disagree. Why he's not been able to replicate those goals may not be wholly down to the player.

I'm more concerned at the number of times players have a chance to shoot and don't. Only Welsh seems to make the right decisions tho' his application has by and large let him down. Nothing new in that, and being over elaborate or trying to walk the ball into the net is a long established failure of our front players.

• Like 1

Compared to my last Thistle game, a dire 2 - 0 loss to Dundee Utd in the mid 90s, that was a lot more fun. Sure, the defence is a total peering through fingers bombscare but some of our play going forward was a delight. To take the ball under pressure from our own goal line to score was a joy to behold.

Thanks also to the Jags around me who made my 10 year old and I very welcome and who made the flight from Australia seem worthwhile.

The much vaunted Killie pies are shit though.

• Like 1