Motherwell 24/09/16

Lindau

Bit of an overreaction. Played well for most of the game, however they had what looked like a good goal chopped off. A draw is fair in the end. You are right that we still need a striker though. Too many missed chances.

i am just sick to the back teeth of being the better team, missing numerous chances and losing the inevitable sucker punch. even when not at the games you just know what is coming when it is 1-0 or any other permeation of being 1 goal ahead of the opposition. why can everyone else manage to muster results against the likes of the top 6 as well and we always struggle? there is something wrong with the coaching somewhere as its not just down to individuals as it is a season on season thing. Or are the players we have not mentally tough/fit enough to see out games, maybe they like most fans expect the late sucker punch as well and subconsciously they allow this to happen. Who knows, but relegation battle for sure this season. I only hope that if we do go down that we don't lose our youth system.

Plus points:

Team performance much improved as against the St Johnstone game. Some fluid and quick paced stuff and we controlled the game for 70 minutes. Barton has a good eye for a pass and Azeez's pace was a problem for the Motherwell centre-backs all day. Edwards was very lively and is adaptable anywhere in midfield.

Defence was a bit better than previous games and Scully had an objectively good game. His kicking was mostly solid, he made 4 excellent saves and only made one obviously substantial mistake, which mercifully didn't cost us.

Down-side: bit of a collapse in the last 20 minutes defensively and slack and flat footedness. McDonald shouldn't have had the space to score that equaliser. Azeez needs to work on his shooting and touch because it undoes a lot of good positional play and pace.

We need to be winning these games to stay up but far less unhappy with the effort, application and approach than a fortnight ago.

• Like 2

Azeez cost us that game, and performances like that, however good on the park, will earn us relegation. What I can't understand is how, half an hour before the end, it wasn't obvious even from the restricted view of the dugout that it was time to bring on Doolan as the main goalscorer. One or even two might be missed in a match, but it was clear that Azeez was not going to score at all today. The squad was, if anything, beaten by the decisions of its own management today.

• Like 1

There'll be about 8 teams in a relegation battle - were you really expecting a breeze to the top 6? Finishing aside Azeez was very good indeed.

Who said anything about breezing into the top six? With the squad we have we should be doing better. Our defence is a bombscare. Azeez may be playing well, but he was brought here for goals. Where are they? We are dropping points to teams around us which is alarming. The usual late goal syndrome hasn't disappeared. It has the same smell of not being mentally tough enough to get over the line.Why?

• Like 2

i am just sick to the back teeth of being the better team, missing numerous chances and losing the inevitable sucker punch. even when not at the games you just know what is coming when it is 1-0 or any other permeation of being 1 goal ahead of the opposition. why can everyone else manage to muster results against the likes of the top 6 as well and we always struggle? there is something wrong with the coaching somewhere as its not just down to individuals as it is a season on season thing. Or are the players we have not mentally tough/fit enough to see out games, maybe they like most fans expect the late sucker punch as well and subconsciously they allow this to happen. Who knows, but relegation battle for sure this season. I only hope that if we do go down that we don't lose our youth system.

Yip, I share your frustration and maybe there is something in the mindset that needs addressing. Either that or we have a fitness problem which doesn't appear to be the case. We were very good in spells and need to make sure we can get the goals we deserve at the time. 1-0 is a fragile lead at the best of times. A win against rangers will put us back on track.

Azeez cost us that game, and performances like that, however good on the park, will earn us relegation. What I can't understand is how, half an hour before the end, it wasn't obvious even from the restricted view of the dugout that it was time to bring on Doolan as the main goalscorer. One or even two might be missed in a match, but it was clear that Azeez was not going to score at all today. The squad was, if anything, beaten by the decisions of its own management today.

the chances that were being created and missed in the second half the game was crying out for doolan to come on.

• Like 1

Definitely a relegation battle this season!

Probably the season you would prefer?

I guess you don't attend many matches, that's fine at least you will be paying for Jagzone to support the club financially.

We have been in a relegation battle at the start of every season and we are again, time will tell if we have the quality to avoid it. All your negative posts don't make it so they didn't in the preceding seasons and won't in this one even if we do end up there.

Azeez cost us the game? Archie cost us the ****** game. Azeez is not a footballer by any means. Archie is and will always be a legend but **** me, boys like him will cost him his job. Barton, 3 year deal, jesus christ. He wis kiddin oan it wis a friendly. Id rather we kept pogba than azeez an thats how shockin it is. There defense wis so poor an we couldnt kill the game. Bottom line is this, get azeez oot or get archie oot, cos if he cannae see it, were doomed

• Like 2

Might not be a popular opinion on here for those that are blinkered when it comes to the manager.

But the turning point came when he puts on Welsh as the replacement for the injured Erskine.

A defensive player on for an offensive player. Totally negative and immediately puts us on the back foot, having been in the ascendency up until that point.

And how Azeez stays on for the full 90 I'll never know. When he misses his 3rd golden opportunity he should have been subbed for Doolan.

But no. We'll wait till 5 minutes left and take off Lawless instead.

A long season ahead.

• Like 2

Definitely a relegation battle this season!

Since our return to the big boys league, I fully expected us to be involved in the bottom six dogfight for several seasons,before kicking on and getting ourselves established.

Are my expectations to high for a club who allegedly have one of the smallest budgets?

• Like 1

I thought we fell out of it after Erskine went off injured for Welsh. We began to get deeper and deeper after that. Thought Archies subs were poor again.

I would definatley drop Gordon and play Elliot at right back for the next games. Ziggy lost his man in the box several times and the goal was another punt to the back post which was poorly defended. He's no where near as good as he thinks he is. Teams will target that situation.

All our great football for two thrids of the match means nothing when you cant defend a high cross to the back post. Gordon and Devine do not play well together

on the right hand side. Scully got away with a clanger but absolutley saved usa point with two good saves at the end.

Azeez, what can you say , linked up well with Erskine and Barton but just terrible finishing.

A repeat of failings again and again is costing us big time. Got a feeling the lack of signing a CB is going to cost us BIG time.

Utterly p1ssed off with that.

• Like 1

Azeez's display was a reflection of how the team played...he gave the Motherwell central defenders a torrid time but was clean through on three separate occasions and failed to get a shot on target...if you can't put the opposition away when you are the better team, you will pay the price. He might well have won a penalty on his third chance...maybe an example of a player not benefitting from trying to stay on his feet. Amoo missed a similar chance too.

The injury & substitution of Erskine changed the game. Chris showed some great skill but also featured in what was clearly a tactic of closing the Well defenders down quickly. After he went off, their midfield was able to pick the ball up although they only looked dangerous from launching high balls into the box...no great surprise that was how they scored.

Two excellent saves from Scully late on but I think some of the criticism of our defence is a bit severe...as against St Johnstone the opposition hardly made a clear cut chance otherwise.

I have not been convinced by Edwards but he was very good today particularly in the first half. However, Barton was a disappointment...other than a good pass for one of Azeez's misses he contributed little and looked way off the pace.

Disappointing not to get the three points but as with the last three seasons there is no reason to think that most of the other teams are better than us.

• Like 1

The continuing problem of conceding late goals cannot, after all this time, be put down to tiredness/lack of fitness. If it was, I presume someone, somewhere in the club would have the gumption to sort the problem, given that it has lasted for at least 3 seasons. If not, we have the wrong manager. I suspect that the problem is linked to the captaincy, and in particular the lack of leadership on the field. In the matches I've seen, it is by no means obvious who the captain is. There are no shouted instructions, no gesticulations or remonstrations, no fingers pointing to where the ball should be passed to. We need a stronger captain who will kick arses hard and repeatedly during the game.

• Like 1

That was a really tough one to take. We should have been out of sight by the time of 'Well's goal. On the plus side, we played really well at times. Some folk seem to be disappointed with Barton's performance. I thought he played quite well: composed in possession, shielded the back four well and dropped into defence when they were attacking down the flanks, which gave us more presence in the box. Edwards was excellent, as was Erskine - I really liked the make-up of the midfield today. We dominated possession and were creating chances. Azeez, unfortunately, had one of those days...

• Like 2

The continuing problem of conceding late goals cannot, after all this time, be put down to tiredness/lack of fitness. If it was, I presume someone, somewhere in the club would have the gumption to sort the problem, given that it has lasted for at least 3 seasons. If not, we have the wrong manager. I suspect that the problem is linked to the captaincy, and in particular the lack of leadership on the field. In the matches I've seen, it is by no means obvious who the captain is. There are no shouted instructions, no gesticulations or remonstrations, no fingers pointing to where the ball should be passed to. We need a stronger captain who will kick arses hard and repeatedly during the game.

I've thought this for quite a while. Definitely lack a leader on the park.

Might not be a popular opinion on here for those that are blinkered when it comes to the manager.

But the turning point came when he puts on Welsh as the replacement for the injured Erskine.

A defensive player on for an offensive player. Totally negative and immediately puts us on the back foot, having been in the ascendency up until that point.

And how Azeez stays on for the full 90 I'll never know. When he misses his 3rd golden opportunity he should have been subbed for Doolan.

But no. We'll wait till 5 minutes left and take off Lawless instead.

A long season ahead.

For the benefit of the blinkered ones what should we do with the manager?

That was a really tough one to take. We should have been out of sight by the time of 'Well's goal. On the plus side, we played really well at times. Some folk seem to be disappointed with Barton's performance. I thought he played quite well: composed in possession, shielded the back four well and dropped into defence when they were attacking down the flanks, which gave us more presence in the box. Edwards was excellent, as was Erskine - I really liked the make-up of the midfield today. We dominated possession and were creating chances. Azeez, unfortunately, had one of those days...

Agree with most of your view, Azeez should have at least one goal to his credit and the fact he hasn't is a real disappointment and concern. Having said that other than in front of goal his performance was excellent and we defended from the front and he contributed greatly to that. In an ideal world he would have his work rate and pace and Doolans finishing.

• Like 2

Really frustrated. But now I've calmed down a bit I feel there were more positives than negatives. Very few poor performances and Elliot, Erskine, Edwards were excellent. Their goal was a collective failure in defence and Azeez first one on one was poor. But agree with everyone else, this was a game we should have put away early in the second half. So keep the faith and hopefully we'll soon turn the corner. Next week will do fine. Monthejags.

• Like 1

Edwards was my MOTM with Chris and Christie Elliot a close second. Could be worth shoving Christie to right back and give Gordon a rest. That's two weeks running a hopeful ball has been aimed to his area and the smallest player in the opposition team has scored with a header. Big Ade needs a goal badly. He ran their defence ragged today....all he needs to do is convert his excellent forward play to goals. I think once he gets one, he could hit a run. Barton was ok today for his first game. Steady enough and has a bit of presence. Thought Scully, other than one flap, was excellent today. He pulled off two great saves in the last 10 minutes and being up the hospitality end of the JHS today it was noticeable that he was shouting and balling at the defenders, so it finally looks like the penny has dropped. Don't quite understand the doom and gloom on here. We played some great stuff today, but yet again one stupid mistake cost us getting the three points. Annoying?...yes but cut the occassional mistake out and we will soon be climbing the table.

• Like 2