Ross County 22/10/16

Auld Jag

As the long corners by Welsh were not working, why did we not try a different corner taker or vary things with a short corner? Last week we scored from the second ball after a corner. OK it was not a short corner, but the break in the play enabled Liam to lose his marker in a manner that would have been more difficult to achieve when the defence was set up for the first ball.

Edited by partickthedog

Thought we played well, controlled most of the match but never really looked like scoring despite getting in to decent positions fairly regularly.

3-5-2 definitely worked & was a good idea from Archie, was clear the players were well drilled on their roles. I would stick with this formation, could be a bit short though if Lindsay is out, Gordon doesn't fill me with confidence at CB. Edwards had acres of space in the 1st half & Barton (my MOTM) found him very well. Just a pity it wasn't Erskine in that position who may have made better use of the ball going forward.

We should have used our 3rd sub, it was clear some of the team were tiring & needed help closing County down near the end. Wilson coming on would not have done any harm.

Doolan hasn't had a chance to take or miss but doesn't look his usual self outwith that. We also didn't make use of Azeez running in behind enough in the 1st half, whenever that ball was played he was on to it & the CB against him was on a booking...if something is working keep trying it!

Positives: Scully (top save at the end), Elliott at RWB (ran all game, needs to improve final ball), Devine (best game in a Thistle shirt if a little more shaky in the 2nd half), Barton (composed, good passer, good in the air), Edwards (dynamic, positive, just lacks composure or perhaps the quality at vital moments), Azeez (caused problems in the 1st half, definitely has something if the right players are around him)

Hope Lindsay isn't out for too long, would be a big miss.

• Like 3

Credit to the manager for realising the blindingly obvious and changing from 4231. Credit for dropping Gordon who has done nothing and is another failed signing.

Totally agree with Lindau - lack of defensive cover cost us today. Gordon can't defend - but unfortunately he was the only one that could have come on and fitted into our formation. Or maybe the formation should have changed and then we wouldn't have needed to bring on Gordon.

In any case, the players seem to have real issues when teams start pressing us.

Time to bring back in that psychologist that we had before.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Thought Azeez was excellent. Winning the ball. Holding it up. With some support from Doolan who did nothing all game we may have created the chances to bury County.......who were abysmal for 95% of that game.

Corners, free kicks terrible

Plus points: Barton at centre half

I fear for us now because if we can't beat that team who can we beat?

• Like 1

Gutted with the result. However, I thought the formation worked really well. Big Barton, Devine, Liam and Calum were great for most of the game. Azeez was my MOTM-hopefully we're finally seeing what the big man can do. Scully was excellent as was Christie. Abs and Ryan Edwards very good. Keeping positive. The tide will turn.

First time I've seen Barton play and thought he was superb, reminded me a lot of Scott Paterson and was very good in the air. The back five (up until the injury) were very good, Devine was far better than he has been. Midfield also did well although it was clear to see that Erskine would have had a field day in the first half. Biggest concern was the front two. Azeez causes problems but does not threaten the goal,he also seems to fade from games after half an hour. Thought Doolan was woeful today, did absolutely nothing. Sadly you could see the goal for County coming a mile away as we always just seem to sit deeper and deeper and invite problems.Only a superb save from Scully saved us a point, he has improved massively. Dundee is a massive game on Wednesday considering the fixture run we have after it.

First and foremost I hope Liam's injury isn't serious. We may we'll have seen the game out if he hadn't had to go off but that's of secondary consideration to the lad's well being. Fingers well and truly crossed.

A lot will be said about the goal lost but there was no way we should only have been one goal to the good today, a penalty at that. I'm no lover of playing two upfront unless the guy on the shoulder is capable of enough creativity. With both Lawless and Erskine unavailable today's line up/formation was always going to be more functional than creative. Even so given the amount of the ball we had it's still rather surprising we didn't pick up a second goal. That's more from a law of averages viewpoint than anything else.

If you go with two up front then the two in question have to have a really good understanding. I saw absolutely nothing today that would convince me that was the case with Azeez and Doolan. Not really a criticism as such as we were limited in choice but there's a lot of work to be done to make that an effective pairing.

Btw I thought the fair haired County defender (Davies?) had a very good game. When he picked up that booking so early on I was hopeful he'd struggle. He didn't.

Yes,once again an opposition manager makes changes which we make no effort to counteract,we bring Big Amoo and don't play the ball in front of him,we all know he doesn't cover back well so we hand the opposition an advantage.

Amoo wasn't playing in his usual position. He is normally trusted by Archie to come on and add to the defence as well as get forward so don't know where your comment about not covering back comes from.

Agree totally with westertonjag. We totally dominated the game, Scully didn't have anything to do in the first half and with the possible exception of Dools, everybody knew their role and contributed to our best performance of the season. Barton was immense and great to see Devine wining every 50/50. Archie was totally correct in going for 3-5_2. Overall a great performance from a team lacking a wee bit of confidence. We are better than other teams in the bottom half and we'll go be OK this season. PS I may be in a minority of one but I thought Booth being muscled off the ball was key point in us losing the goal. And finally best wishes to big Liam, hope we see you back soon.

• Like 1

Amoo wasn't playing in his usual position. He is normally trusted by Archie to come on and add to the defence as well as get forward so don't know where your comment about not covering back comes from.

The big man only tracks back in his own channel,he doesn't fill in spaces,it was exactly the same in the Hamilton game,i like him but he doesn't cover back,if you don't see that then you need to join AA and co on the sidelines.

Agree totally with westertonjag. We totally dominated the game, Scully didn't have anything to do in the first half and with the possible exception of Dools, everybody knew their role and contributed to our best performance of the season. Barton was immense and great to see Devine wining every 50/50. Archie was totally correct in going for 3-5_2. Overall a great performance from a team lacking a wee bit of confidence. We are better than other teams in the bottom half and we'll go be OK this season. PS I may be in a minority of one but I thought Booth being muscled off the ball was key point in us losing the goal. And finally best wishes to big Liam, hope we see you back soon.

We did not totally dominate the game

We were in top till the penalty then we did our usual and sat back and let them into the match the rest of the first half was pretty even with them showing more towards the end

Second half reminded me of the Hamilton game and if we dominated how come they equalised and nearly won it

But I will take the hint - time to go.

I watched exactly the same game as you man.

It would be good if you actually tried to debate a point that you may disagree with rather than deflect it with your petty remarks.

But we know from experience that isn't your style....................

Let's see, debate with you or meet my mates in the pub.....no brainer there, Barney boy

Petty remarks?....would that be like the petty, insulting remarks you made and removed a few weeks ago after the Motherwell game. Pity you still haven't taken the hint as you said you would! (see above)

Know from experience that isn't your style?....and we know from experience what your style is. Throw the toys out the pram when someone doesn't agree with what you are saying

Now as I said I have better things to do...like grab a few hours sleep!

Edited by Lindau

Scully

Christie Gordon Lindsay Devine Booth

Amoo Edwards Lawless

Doolan Erskine

or

Scully

Christie Lindsay Devine Booth

Osman

Amoo Edwards Lawless

Erskine Doolan

Monejags...

Whilst im quite sure formation 1 would ve a good laugh. Peoples careers and our premier survival are at stake.

Formation 2 youd sacrifice the DM with vision for a pass and therefore ability to start an attack, in favour of playing Erskine as a striker?

Did you have a good laugh yesterday at the formation PT?

I take it Lawless is out now for 6 weeks as he must be getting his op soon. Hopefully Erskine and Lindsay will make this weeks games and Archie sticks with the same setup.

Did you have a good laugh yesterday at the formation PT?

I take it Lawless is out now for 6 weeks as he must be getting his op soon. Hopefully Erskine and Lindsay will make this weeks games and Archie sticks with the same setup.

Not sure about the formation, but I had a good laugh at the idea of a central midfield of Amoo, Edwards and Lawless. Or, if your intention was for Amoo and Lawless to play wide, a central midfield of Edwards. Either way, Ryan is going to be busy.

• Like 1

Interesting to see that for all our control of the game for long spells, the SPFL YouTube highlights only have the penalty incident from us. Everything else (albeit in a two minute video) is RC. I guess we were limited to long range shots right enough.

On another note, my taxi driver home last night was none other than Eddie Forrest. He spoke fondly of the Jags.

Interesting to see that for all our control of the game for long spells, the SPFL YouTube highlights only have the penalty incident from us. Everything else (albeit in a two minute video) is RC. I guess we were limited to long range shots right enough.

On another note, my taxi driver home last night was none other than Eddie Forrest. He spoke fondly of the Jags.

Unlike my train trip home: H*n ticket collector decided to down tools and chat all the way to Neilston. Repeated 3 times that he'd watched Thistle 3 times with his father in law last season and that it had been "hard going"

Then he stated that the standard had really plummeted this season. I decided not to point out that by and large the teams and players are much the same as last season and therefore the standard probably isn't much different.

My brother's take on the game:

We dominated for most of it, so why start defending deep towards the end?

Despite dominating possession, we never troubled Scott Fox at all.

Barton reminds him of Alan Hansen!

Ryan Edwards is impressive.

Why, after two or three truly dreadful corners, does the manager insist on Welsh continuing to waste them?

In all, despite "dominating," we were lucky to come away with a point; County hit the post, had a stonewall penalty denied, and only Scully saved us at the end.

Gordon shouldn't wait until the end of the season before he leaves.

• Like 1

Unlike my train trip home: H*n ticket collector decided to down tools and chat all the way to Neilston. Repeated 3 times that he'd watched Thistle 3 times with his father in law last season and that it had been "hard going"

Then he stated that the standard had really plummeted this season. I decided not to point out that by and large the teams and players are much the same as last season and therefore the standard probably isn't much different.

To be fair (or should that be fare) it must be "hard going" for Sevconian ticket collectors to accept that the days of Laudrop, Gascoigne, Klos and the likes are long gone (like their old club) to be replaced by Clint (Benny) Hill, Senderos, Barton and Wedderburn. We don't have much success at our club, but I am happy in the knowledge that we have 140 years of unbroken history, unlike the cheats over on the south side of the city!

My brother's take on the game:

We dominated for most of it, so why start defending deep towards the end?

Despite dominating possession, we never troubled Scott Fox at all.

Barton reminds him of Alan Hansen!

Ryan Edwards is impressive.

Why, after two or three truly dreadful corners, does the manager insist on Welsh continuing to waste them?

In all, despite "dominating," we were lucky to come away with a point; County hit the post, had a stonewall penalty denied, and only Scully saved us at the end.

Gordon shouldn't wait until the end of the season before he leaves.

Agree with some of that. Think we are reaching the stage where we are just so desperate for a victory that we are just trying to keep it tight in the latter stages. Whether that is the players decision or the managers only they can tell. Totally agree with the Welsh scenario. Thought he had a good game yesterday, but I just don't get him getting all the set plays. We most certainly were not lucky to get a point. We dominated the game, but they had a go in the last 10 minutes and caused a few problems. If Gordon had done his job, we would have had 3 points and a very important clean sheet. Watched the highlights on Jagzone this morning and Gordon's defending was even worse than what I saw from the NS. Absolutely dreadful.

Edited by Lindau