Archie Offski?

Lindau

Barcelona seem to have fared ok with the 'one system' approach. I don't think we've implemented this due to a lack of resources. Granted, we don't have the resources they do, but surely there are advantages to potentially having young players coming in to a familiar system in a first team? I take that the opposing view would be predictability, but I guess you've got to be good enough at what you do to let the other team worry about that.

For me, if there is a criticism, it would be that Archie has a tendency to revert when things are going our way. Bringing on an extra defensive player while we're on top in a game. That can be frustrating to watch.

For me, if there is a criticism, it would be that Archie has a tendency to revert when things are going our way. Bringing on an extra defensive player while we're on top in a game. That can be frustrating to watch.

Valid point but the team has a tendency to fail to put the game to bed with a second (or occasionally third) goal when on top. And as the game goes on it's common to see the chances of that further goal diminishing. We've certainly not got the reputation for seeing games out so I can see why Archie would sacrifice the attack minded for a more defensive player.

Better distribution coming out of defence would help greatly and perhaps, if the ball could then be retained longer in the opposition half, a negative substitution wouldn't occur. Lumping the ball upfield whether from central defenders, goalie, right back or defensive midfield just invites the opposition to come on. We in turn defend deeper get more erratic in distribution and lose the inevitable late goal.

Perhaps imagining that we are in some way comparable to Barcelona is part of the problem. (Sorry, Paulo!) Granted, the adoption of a fixed system was not a response to straitened finances, but the combination of the two is very limiting because we neither have the finances to throw money at a gap nor the flexibility to change to meet unexpected challenges (whether due to lack of players or opponents' tactics). Practically the only flexible option in the first team squad is Christie Elliott.

In theory, the alternative to changing the system should be that as we have all levels playing in the same way, the development squad can provide players occasionally to fit in without any disruption, but in general that has not been happening either. It looks like the worst of both worlds - stability which can be disrupted by injury or suspension, without using that stability to plug the gaps. The alternative of choosing a system to fit the players has been roundly rejected - but why, if such a rigid/stable system is making the first team vulnerable?

Except we have changed our system from time to time. Sometimes not obviously, sometimes very obviously like when we went three at the back.- which didn't work out too well. We play a system many teams play now so it's not as if it's a system that only the very best teams can play. We have played the system when we have been on excellent runs of form so maybe it's the players (or at least their current form) and not the system. BTW our system is one that (to work) requires good pressing, good passing and good movement so whether or not the first team always plays that way it's a good system for them to learn the game with.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Amazingly yes even after 25 years supporting them and getting about 2 seasons in every 10 that are enjoyable. Just find the current team and onfield setup to be utterly utterly infuriating and depressing. Same old same old panning out and any sensible realistic fan can see where it is ultimately headed. Sorry I voice that on here and people don't want to hear it. We can't score, our defence can't keep a clean sheet and our manager has no plan B. We are worse than last year. Let's face facts people. Change of manager could've been exactly what we needed. Instead we'll stumble on with Archie (Sure he's a great guy etc..) but the squad he has assembled is not good enough.

What frustrates me is that there are a number of people who think that despite the setbacks we suffered at the start of this season re Dumbaya, Cerny, Rangersgate they still think that we should have a better quality of squad than last year. Changing the manager wouldn't mean change of squad - just more time needed for the new manager to get to grips with what we have.

What frustrates me is that there are a number of people who think that despite the setbacks we suffered at the start of this season re Dumbaya, Cerny, Rangersgate they still think that we should have a better quality of squad than last year. Changing the manager wouldn't mean change of squad - just more time needed for the new manager to get to grips with what we have.

I think we have got a pretty good squad but there is no one that can say they are happy with the cover in central defence or strikers position......cause there ain't any!

I think we have got a pretty good squad but there is no one that can say they are happy with the cover in central defence or strikers position......cause there ain't any!
Agreed we have a squad that would be going places, unfortunately Archie hasn't got a clue. week in week out its the same old crap. negative football with one man up front, a counter punching team, bottom feeders if you like, going nowhere. This was an opportunity that fell though.

Bin Azeez, use the full width of the pitch, introduce players rom the development team, and play attacking football. otherwise pluck off.............

Bin Azeez,

introduce players rom the development team

Is he a relative of Bin Laden?

Sure fire way to get relegated. The young guys are exceptionally promising, but with the exception of maybe Wilson, McDaid and Penrice, they are not ready to be thrown into a relegation battle

Agreed we have a squad that would be going places, unfortunately Archie hasn't got a clue. week in week out its the same old crap. negative football with one man up front, a counter punching team, bottom feeders if you like, going nowhere. This was an opportunity that fell though.

Bin Azeez, use the full width of the pitch, introduce players rom the development team, and play attacking football. otherwise pluck off.............

Almost every post you make shows your ignorance of the game. I won't waste my time debating our attacking strategies with you instead get to a game a couple of times a season rather than reading the team line up or watching the two minute highlights on Sunday.

Almost every post you make shows your ignorance of the game. I won't waste my time debating our attacking strategies with you instead get to a game a couple of times a season rather than reading the team line up or watching the two minute highlights on Sunday.

To be fair to sabbath he/she doesn't need those two minute highlights on a Sunday. Quite capable of jumping in with his/her incisive comments long before the highlights are even available.

That's because you can generally predict the outcome prior to kick off. The fact some are also worried about Ross County at home in a six pointer highlights where we are. We should be going out and play direct football and be 3 up by half time. We will likely be 1 nil up, take off our best player for Welsh and lose a goal in the dying embers of the game. Then we will all say "its been like this from when I was a boy"

• Like 1

That's because you can generally predict the outcome prior to kick off. The fact some are also worried about Ross County at home in a six pointer highlights where we are. We should be going out and play direct football and be 3 up by half time. We will likely be 1 nil up, take off our best player for Welsh and lose a goal in the dying embers of the game. Then we will all say "its been like this from when I was a boy"

exactly, it is almost like you can predict the score/line ups/what will happen.

The simple facts are that unfortunately this is not like "it's been like this from when I was a boy" as for the vast majority including myself we have languished in the second tier or worse the third tier for the most part. Make no mistake this is a very purple patch and those that continue to whine and complain each week simply have a negative outlook on life that certainly irritates the life out of me for one.

You/they can kid themselves on that everyone else lacks ambition etc, the harsh facts are you/they are deluded beyond belief. When we get a poor result or Archie makes a poor call that doesn't make you correct it just means that he is human and we are in a competitive league with no devine right to win any game.

Yes we could possibly change the manager and do better but the more likely outcome is we will do worse. I do not see any need to change the manager, to date he has been a success you might not like that but guess what tough you will just need to get over it. You can maybe take some comfort from the fact that as history generally repeats itself we will some day be relegated, I for one have confidence that it won't be this season as we still very much have our destiny in our own hands.

• Like 2

That isn't entirely true about Central defence.Gordon has slotted in to Central defence and Barton was brought in as partial cover. Gordon seems to have had one good experience there and one not. We haven't seen Barton there yet - he may be a star. As far as strikers are concerned, Azeez isn't producing at the moment in terms of goals, but neither is Doolan. Hopefully they will come good soon.

However, the gist of some posts ignores that Archie was working pretty much with one hand tied behind his back when trying to get his squad together. That's why I will be satisfied with still being in this division at the end of this season.

• Like 1

Well you were complaining there was no plan B. Today there was a plan B and it was working well unti Lindsay got injured. Don't get me wrong I am gutted we lost another late goal. The 3 at the back looked OK. We missed Erskine big time. We are missing several 1st choice players and unfortunately Doolan is having probably the worst season so far.

• Like 1