David Beattie, The Management Duo, And Contracts

Jaggernaut

To be fair, Archie and Shaggy have been at the club at the best time ever, financially. The fact that we are in a position to offer our best players long contracts is basically unheard of in the long time I have been supporting the club. In saying that and as I have said on countless occasions, some people will only realise the great job these two have done, when they eventually leave the club.

• Like 1

To be fair, Archie and Shaggy have been at the club at the best time ever, financially. The fact that we are in a position to offer our best players long contracts is basically unheard of in the long time I have been supporting the club. In saying that and as I have said on countless occasions, some people will only realise the great job these two have done, when they eventually leave the club.

Undoubtedly the investment the Weirs made has allowed longer term contracts to be handed out. But, perhaps they did it because of the achievements of Archie and Paterson

The future is bright. We are in the best position on and off the park in my lifetime. The only thing missing is a prolonged run in the cup and an old firm scalp

Our terrible record on both of those fronts is truly bizarre; easily worse than other top-flight teams, and has been so now for many years.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Our terrible record on both of those fronts is truly bizarre; easily the worst of other top-flight teams, and has been so now for many years.

Four out the last five years the team that's knocked us out the Scottish Cup we had beaten in the previous league match on the same ground. That's gotta stop right now because as you well know we beat St Johnstone at McDiarmid on our last visit. :help:

It does make great reading. My only concern is that we now seem to be reliant on the Weirs for an awful lot. Let's not forget that the picture was looking quite bleak not so long ago, with a massive drop in home attendances in our 2nd season back up. The jungle drums were sounding for another "belt-tightening" exercise unless attendances picked up substantially. They haven't, but the Weirs have plugged the gap and then some. God knows where we'd be without them, and we should be working towards a sustainable business model that doesn't include them bailing us out all the time, as they won't be here forever.

• Like 4

Our terrible record on both of those fronts is truly bizarre; easily worse than other top-flight teams, and has been so now for many years.

Our record against the Old Firm is indeed shambolic, but I'm pretty sure Hamilton's cup record is the worst for any full time team in Scotland. IIRC, they've not been in a Scottish cup semi final or further (which I'd use as the barometer of a good cup run) this side of world war 2..

Our record against the Old Firm is indeed shambolic, but I'm pretty sure Hamilton's cup record is the worst for any full time team in Scotland. IIRC, they've not been in a Scottish cup semi final or further (which I'd use as the barometer of a good cup run) this side of world war 2..

Point taken, but to be fair, they've been a "top-flight" team for only about 10 of the 70-odd years since the War.

And they've at least managed a couple of draws (vs. the Govan mob) or draws and wins (vs. the Porkheid mob) in the last 20 years or so.....

It does make great reading. My only concern is that we now seem to be reliant on the Weirs for an awful lot. Let's not forget that the picture was looking quite bleak not so long ago, with a massive drop in home attendances in our 2nd season back up. The jungle drums were sounding for another "belt-tightening" exercise unless attendances picked up substantially. They haven't, but the Weirs have plugged the gap and then some. God knows where we'd be without them, and we should be working towards a sustainable business model that doesn't include them bailing us out all the time, as they won't be here forever.

Couldn't agree more.

We are in a great situation at the moment but I do worry about the future. It's all very well being debt free but living out with our means can quickly change that. We can't rely on the Weir's generosity forever.

Hopefully the academy will provide a good source of income for years to come but, without that, I don't know what we will do.

I'd argue against thought that we are bankrolled by the Weirs.

They cleared our debt which frees up past interest payments.

They fund the academy which is separate from club.

At the very worst the academy suffers but club with first team etc continues.

I would imagine that without their involvement we would be back to the one year contracts and belt tightening, so don't underestimate what Colin and Christine have done and are currently doing for our great club. I am a North Stander so don't really see it, but going into the JHS at the Development games makes you "appreciate" the awful signage dedicated to Colin on the main stand. Surely to goodness the club can afford a better tribute than that!

• Like 1

Good financial planning or a number of other options. Unless you know for sure it was money the Weirs gave the club it is not helpful to throw that out there as it can give a false impression of what is happening at Firhill.

I just asked a simple question Martin. I would say the "unhelpful" insinuations are only coming from you.