Hamilton 18/02/2017

Lindau

Aberdeen were rotten up till the last 10/15 minutes and like against us, the appearance of Stockley changed the game. Killie played them correctly. Didn't give them any time and were in their faces right from the start. That's the tactics we should employ in the cup. If you give the likes of Hayes, McGinn, McLean the space, they can destroy you. Ended up a great result for us and more encouragingly showed that we should have nothing to fear from them in the cup.

Edited by Lindau

BJ, I feel dirty hoping the h*ns will win. Should I seek therapy?

You should probably seek out a reputable dominatrix (oxymoron alert!) who will administer simultaneous pain and pleasure (so I'm informed!), thereby stimulating your guilt and pleasure receptors in equal measure.

I of course would have no idea where to find this sort of therapy service.

• Like 2

As mentioned elsewhere, I believe I was the one that shouted "how can anyone be expected to pay £22 for this?" And I stick by that statement based on the first half. If you were not at the game, no words can do justice in regards to how disgusting the first 50 minutes were. And that goes for both ourselves and Hamilton, who served up nothing short of a disgrace when it came to the approach we took. Even Dick Campbell would have been embarrassed.

But! The second half was absolutely night and day. I'll be fair to Archie. My main criticism is that he waits far too long to make changes in terms of both shape and personnel. Bringing on Doolan at half-time was the only half-time substitution I can actually remember Archie making in his four years at the club, and boy did it work. The defence stayed solid, and Erskine always looked dangerous coming forward. Not to mention that we had a guy up front who didn't need to ask for seconds when presented with a chance. Vital 3pts, and it turned out a pleasing afternoon.

Going forward though, Archibald needs to realise that Azeez will never be a goalscoring threat, and Doolan is to lead the line.

• Like 1

The one thing that's astounded me since full time on Saturday are the people who are still having a go at Archie despite winning the game 2-0? Not so much on here but it's been frankly ridiculous on Social Media.

The first half was truly a dreadful game but for me it was a sign of progress that despite not being able to create anything ourselves we kept it very tight at the back.

Archie showed that he knows how to change things and more importantly when to do it. Who's to say Erksine or Dools would have had any success in the first half? Starting Azeez to tire out their back 4 before bringing on Erksine and Dools, for me was very astute tactics from Archie. Knowing Accies had played 120 minutes during the week maybe made that an easy decision for him, but there's no doubt it worked when you see the goals. Their right back was not able to catch Erskine for the first and never got out quick enough to Booth for the 2nd. The 2 centre halves just couldn't get there before Dools for the first and totally switched off for the 2nd. Physical and mental tiredness totally kicking in and we had 2 guys who were fresh on the park to inflict maximum damage to them.

But still we have "fans" criticising Archie.

Edited by ian_mac

The one thing that's astounded me since full time on Saturday are the people who are still having a go at Archie despite winning the game 2-0? Not so much on here but it's been frankly ridiculous on Social Media.

The first half was truly a dreadful game but for me it was a sign of progress that despite not being able to create anything ourselves we kept it very tight at the back.

Archie showed that he knows how to change things and more importantly when to do it. Who's to say Erksine or Dools would have had any success in the first half? Starting Azeez to tire out their back 4 before bringing on Erksine and Dools, for me was very astute tactics from Archie. Knowing Accies had played 120 minutes during the week maybe made that an easy decision for him, but there's no doubt it worked when you see the goals. Their right back was not able to catch Erskine for the first and never got out quick enough to Booth for the 2nd. The 2 centre halves just couldn't get there before Dools for the first and totally switched off for the 2nd. Physical and mental tiredness totally kicking in and we had 2 guys who were fresh on the park to inflict maximum damage to them.

I agree he changed it three times in the game, fto a back 3, then brought doolan on, then brought Erskine on. He is never going to get it 100% right and people will have to accept that. Excellent performanc ein the second half was down to the managers changes.

It was a must win game and regardless of the performance, the 3 points is all that matters. The 1st half sounds very similar to a lot of our games this season when we haven't won so although it must have been unbearable at times, the pint in the S&G after the game would have tasted so much sweeter.

Really not sure about where best to play Ryan Edwards, really don't think he is creative enough to play the n10 role. Personally I think his best games have been alongside Osman.

Tend to agree. I like Ryan, he has great energy, but I can't help feeling he might be falling into the James Craigen role. Would be interesting to hear where he thinks his best position is. I feel like he was much better on Saturday when he dropped back. Barton and Osman were playing too similar in the first half when we had the ball in wide positions. They both tried to stand off the play a bit, meaning the wide player didn't have an option to play square. Resulting in ball going back and a hoof more often than not. Welsh tends to be the one stepping out a bit and offering that pass.

My take on it ... not too much different from several others. Azeez was having bit of a mare and we couldn't hold the ball up front. The manager decided to go to 3 at the back, which allowed us to play with a two up front ... that didn't really work so well, though maybe a very slight improvement until Doolan came on, a proper forward. More improvement but Azeez just didn't seem to work with Doolan, misread several of his flicks/moves so he was replaced by Erskine which really changed things - he and Doolan have played together so often they have an almost telepathic understanding and Hamilton couldn't handle them - Lawless too came onto a game at the same time.

Despite this I wouldn't be too sure we'll start the same formation we finished v Hamilton next game. Though I may go on at games about what we ought to be doing, in calmer situations I know I don't have the real football knowledge that experienced football people like our manager have and it's likely on watching Hearts/getting reports he will format plan to counter their strengths and take advantage of any weakness he spots.

Now it may be that what he sees makes him decide that it is the best set up against Hearts but he may put out a different formation. With Welsh out and Bannigan and Fraser long term losses, our options are limited for midfield so I suppose the bulk of the team will be the same though I'm not guessing what shape we will have.

Agree entirely, Ian.

I doubt tho' you're really that astounded at Archie getting it in the neck. Even after a win with a clean sheet we apparently still need a scapegoat. Why not the guy who changed the formation half way thru the first half and whose substitutions won us the match? :)

If there ever was any indication that Accies defence was being stretched to breaking point you couldn't pick a better example than when Watson felled Doolan. Guy knew he would be getting a certain yellow and no doubt risking a red but even if a cynical challenge was most probably the right decision to make. Even the ineffective pairing up front of Amoo with Azeez had its logic. Two fast players that should draw a few fouls if nothing else, and in the case of Azeez certainly help tire the Accies defence. Take absolutely nothing away from Erskine and Doolan but it wasn't them who softened up the opposing defence.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I would hope that the board would support Alan Archibald through a Cup winning season and beyond, or a relegation season and beyond. The man is as much a hero to me as Chris Doolan. It is also pretty obvious that he has added to his coaching skills to become a bit of a strategist too. Whilst he hasn't even yet had an injury free pool of players to select from he has adjusted our line-up to compensate, and when that hasn't worked a 100%, hasn't shirked swapping things around. As he did twice against Hamilton.

It is a tad incredible that we still have him. Personally, I would like to see him here until he does something extraordinary, like winning a Scottish Cup or summat.

• Like 1

Noticed Erskine being interviewed on OS/Jagzone said he is carrying a niggling injury which is being managed, i.e. they are being careful how he is played and giving him a day's rest during the week. That suggests he won't start against Hearts. What that means depends 1) on what the manager has seen/heard about how Hearts have been playing 2) how the likes of Azeez and Amoo show up in training. With Welsh out too that means Barton or Edwards beside Osman in midfield (unless we go 3 at the back with Keown in which case all three could play there with Barton freedom to go forward) and then you have to decide how we play without Erskine: possibly Lawless, Doolan, Amoo with Azeez up top but there are so many variations it's hard to say for sure. I would expect Erskine to come on later in the game when things open up a bit as he did against Hamilton.