Training Facility

King Kenny

I can't believe the progress that's been made - all things Thistle-related - over the past few years. It's so much to take in.

There was a time, not all that long ago, when we were discussing the then reality of reverting to part time football and a number of other seemingly harsh necessities; in fact, there was a very real and looming prospect that our time as a club might've been drawing to a close. That was around 5 to 6 years ago and it was a very sobering thought.

I don't think anybody on here could, then, seriously believe that in 2017 we'd be facing our 5th season in the top flight, and in the top part of that. It's hard to imagine that we'd be cheering arguably our best and most talented squad in decades, and all under the stewardship of two of Thistle's very favourite sons.

And now this. Thank you, Mr & Mrs Weir, thank you Alan & Scott, and thank you everybody else at Firhill Road for not just saving our Jags, but for re-establishing the famous Partick Thistle as a sustainable professional force in the modern game. It means everything.

• Like 5

Why does it need to be "visible"? It's not a billboard.

Wherever it is, the club and the investment company will be looking to get the best deal possible. There's absolutely no need for it to be in Glasgow or anywhere near Firhill, and I actually don't think it will be.

Take it outside of Glasgow and you immediately have cheaper land and a more co-operative local council. It's no coincidence that Murray Park and Lennoxtown both fall within the East Dunbartonshire area, and it's no secret that the local authority there were very keen to have them both. If we try and build something in Glasgow we will be paying a lot more for the land and let's not forget we have been stung by GCC in the not too distant past. I accept that after the forthcoming local elections there will be big changes at GCC but at the same time, the price of vacant land will not be going down any time soon.

Why does it need to be "visible"? It's not a billboard.

Wherever it is, the club and the investment company will be looking to get the best deal possible. There's absolutely no need for it to be in Glasgow or anywhere near Firhill, and I actually don't think it will be.

Take it outside of Glasgow and you immediately have cheaper land and a more co-operative local council. It's no coincidence that Murray Park and Lennoxtown both fall within the East Dunbartonshire area, and it's no secret that the local authority there were very keen to have them both. If we try and build something in Glasgow we will be paying a lot more for the land and let's not forget we have been stung by GCC in the not too distant past. I accept that after the forthcoming local elections there will be big changes at GCC but at the same time, the price of vacant land will not be going down any time soon.

Hello Ian. What are you referring to here?

I have to admit I was slightly worried when I saw we would be renting the facility (though it would still be a better deal than we have now) but I looked 3 Black Cats up and see that 2 of the 3 directors have the surname Weir, which reassures me.

Knowing the Weirs maybe what will happen is we will have first call on everything and can block timetable what we need and any spare time left over may be offered to local amateurs or kids teams. Long way to go yet so will see how it develops.

Visibility = ease of access.

Listened to podcast on bbc5 live about man utd v man city youth setups.

Man City are "winning" the youth war at the moment. One aspect was raised that Man City was easier to access, closer to city centre and bus routes. Kids could go on their own. Man Utd was out of town and accessible only by car. They now reuse the old "The Cliff" to counter the access issues.

There's absolutely no need for it to be in Glasgow or anywhere near Firhill, and I actually don't think it will be.

Aye, don't know why but my first reaction was to envisage it somewhere in the countryside just to the north of the city. I'd disagree tho' about absolute no need to be near Firhill. I'd have thought from a community aspect somewhere in the Maryhill/Ruchill/Possil area would be preferable. That's of course showing complete disregard to any commercial decision making tho' you could at a stretch argue there's potential in community involvement. I would agree tho' that if immediate areas of Firhill are not financially viable and/or the community argument is irrelevant then there's absolutely no need for the complex to be within the city.

Aye, don't know why but my first reaction was to envisage it somewhere in the countryside just to the north of the city. I'd disagree tho' about absolute no need to be near Firhill. I'd have thought from a community aspect somewhere in the Maryhill/Ruchill/Possil area would be preferable. That's of course showing complete disregard to any commercial decision making tho' you could at a stretch argue there's potential in community involvement. I would agree tho' that if immediate areas of Firhill are not financially viable and/or the community argument is irrelevant then there's absolutely no need for the complex to be within the city.

I think considering the previous tone of the Weirs' investment, there will almost certainly be a strong element of community involvement.

What fantastic news. Huge credit goes to the Wiers and the Board for investing the money in the future of the Club, not in players' wages a la Sevco, Ross County and others.

As to the location of the site, while out of town may be cheaper to build and possibly run (lower rates?), perhaps a Glasgow site would allow the Club to rent the premises (or at least some of it) to other non-league clubs when not being used by Thistle and therfore generate income to offset costs.

Great news.