Rangers Vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

Well, that was an anti-climax! poor game, ok first half but toothless in second.

Really didn't enjoy that- horrible place to go. What exactly do the stewards get paid for doing??

saw one applauding when the sevco team was being announced!

Have to say, view was spoilt by about 20 Jags fans standing up down the front for the whole game - never told to sit down once.

Don't think I'll be going back next time.

• Like 1

Very very poor and the team failed to turn up.

So many players having an off day and nothing we done worked. I really think archie got it wrong today with playing Devine in the centre of the park. He was absolutely hopeless and clear after 5 mins that he is definelty not a centre mid. Amoo was also poor a rightly hooked just after half time. Edwards also had a nightmare today and anything he tried didn't come off and he continually gave the ball away far too easily.

When Doolan and Erskine came on it improved slightly and we actually put a few passes together that got us shots at goal but the game was gone by that point.

Cerny had a number of great saves and if wasn't for him it would easily have been 4 or 5. That is the worrying thing this is a poor rangers team that we made look good by been awful in the centre of the pitch.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come that the players have chucked it as we have finished top 6 but massive improvement needed and please let that be Devines last game as a centre mid!

• Like 1

I love that the sellik hold up big banners about hunger strikers, political activism and global politics in the West Bank.

The sevco have placards about the 17th century, the troubles and even more politics

We have a big sign that says "Maryhill is wonderful "

Excellent!!!!

That's why I support thistle!!

• Like 4

Dreadful performance after the first 20 mins and Tam saved us from a thrashing by a team that aren't that great but if you stand back and admire them then they'll make chances. Let's hope that was a one off. Echo the thoughts about Devine in midfield, never again please Alan

So many players having an off day and nothing we done worked. I really think archie got it wrong today with playing Devine in the centre of the park. He was absolutely hopeless and clear after 5 mins that he is definelty not a centre mid. Amoo was also poor a rightly hooked just after half time. Edwards also had a nightmare today and anything he tried didn't come off and he continually gave the ball away far too easily.

When Doolan and Erskine came on it improved slightly and we actually put a few passes together that got us shots at goal but the game was gone by that point.

Cerny had a number of great saves and if wasn't for him it would easily have been 4 or 5. That is the worrying thing this is a poor rangers team that we made look good by been awful in the centre of the pitch.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come that the players have chucked it as we have finished top 6 but massive improvement needed and please let that be Devines last game as a centre mid!

Agree with this, 100%.

The only thing I would add to this is that it is a measure of how far we have come that we are so disappointed in today's performance. I think every one of us would admit to thinking we could take something from the game today. Not a feeling we have experienced a lot going to Ibrox or Celtic Park.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 1

From remarks from the management before and after the game it seems we had a few guys carrying injuries and didn't want to risk them for 90 minutes. In fact if you look at our bench we had four youngsters on it. Erskine for instance has trained very lightly the last few weeks to avoid exacerbating a problem. (The management didn't make a big thing about it, they thought we could still get something from the game but I think it's obvious it was a game too far for the team). Fortunately we have two weeks now for players to get some rest.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I don't think playing Devine in midfield lost us the game. In fact he played reasonably well. It's just If the plan was to free up Barton and Edwards then that failed miserably. My memory of this game, which I doubt will last too long, will be of key players under-performing rather than any tactical disaster. Fairly clear if we had persisted playing three at back with the way sevco were set up we'd have been swamped in midfield. As it was we were still overrun in midfield but I'd argue that was down to poor performances from Barton, Edwards and Lawless in particular.

We were never at the races yesterday, we had next to no shots on goal whereas they always looked liked scoring when they had the ball in the final third. Aside from Cerny, I'd also give Edwards credit for trying to encourage his team mates right until the end. As much as I accept all of the reasons given here; injuries, players tired etc it hurts like hell that we always play mince against that mob, out of of all the other teams, especially with the guff we have to endure sitting in that midden. God Save the Queen and Land Of Hope and Glory chanted at the end ffs, they really are a special bunch.

Best highlight of the day for me though was the red and yellow flag display during the dreadful Tina Turner song. Well done to all of the young team for organising this, they put a lot of effort and work into it. Have just seen BB's picture and it looks amazing!

I don't think playing Devine in midfield lost us the game. In fact he played reasonably well. It's just If the plan was to free up Barton and Edwards then that failed miserably. My memory of this game, which I doubt will last too long, will be of key players under-performing rather than any tactical disaster. Fairly clear if we had persisted playing three at back with the way sevco were set up we'd have been swamped in midfield. As it was we were still overrun in midfield but I'd argue that was down to poor performances from Barton, Edwards and Lawless in particular.

I don't think it lost us the game but it definitely didn't work out.

Before the game I was discussing team selection and formation with my son and presumed Archie would revert back to 4-2-3-1, as he does when faced with that formation. I said that it would be unfair on any of the back three to miss out after Motherwell performance and wondered how ruthless Archie would be. I suggested Keown as a possibility in there but I don't think that would have worked either.

The other option would have been McCarthy in with Edwards dropping back.

Too many players were off form yesterday for anything to work. I liked the tactic of trying to put their small left back under pressure but the players failed to execute it correctly. Amoo was very poor, Edwards played as badly as I have seen him and Barton needs to improve versus the better teams.

Sometimes teams just have an off day. It happened yesterday. I'd like to think that we can play better in our remaining games.

First 20-25mins we pressed high and it worked but when we tired, Rangers came into the game more and more. As mentioned in other posts, too many players had an off day (no pressure) but hopefully this won't be the case for the remaining fixtures. Was annoyed we had so many misplaced passes which either went to a Rangers player or out of play.

Based on what I've seen of Amoo this season, it's time to go. He can beat a man but has zero end product and it's just not worked.

I've been pissed off since watching that game yesterday.

Something positive, however, is how a 2-0 defeat at Ibrox is now seen as such a disappointment. Shows how far we've come.

Fans, players and management are right to be down about that result yesterday, hopefully signs of a good, winners' mentality developing.

I love that the sellik hold up big banners about hunger strikers, political activism and global politics in the West Bank.

The sevco have placards about the 17th century, the troubles and even more politics

We have a big sign that says "Maryhill is wonderful "

Excellent!!!!

That's why I support thistle!!

The Blue Nuns surpassed themselves yesterday with a 'Sam English - Proud Protestant' banner. Since all Rangers player of that time were of that faith it appears they were focussing on the tragic accidentental death of John Thompson the young Celtic keeper. Utter scumbags.

The Blue Nuns surpassed themselves yesterday with a 'Sam English - Proud Protestant' banner. Since all Rangers player of that time were of that faith it appears they were focussing on the tragic accidentental death of John Thompson the young Celtic keeper. Utter scumbags.

Now you see why I wouldn't go there.

That's pathetic. The man accidentally killed someone at the age of 21. It ruined his career and his life. He retired from football at the age of 28.

I'm sure he was a proud Protestant

But the point still stands - what does the faith of a man who died in 1967 have to do with a 21st century football match in the south side of Glasgow.

Pathetic