Stranraer 29/7/17

Auld Jag

Two things have disappointed me with regards to yesterdays game - both from our 'support'.

Firstly, I'm not sure of the facts but I can't remember Kevin Nisbet (that is Nisbet, not Nesbit) starting many games, if any. I'm sure someone can tell me exactly though. So, in a team full of poor performances we decide to pick the youngster out for special treatment. Nisbet didn't do much yesterday but he wasn't alone and you can't exactly say he got excellent service. Did Dools change the game when he replaced him? No. I've seen enough of him playing for the development team to know that there is a decent player in there but some fans have written him off after hardly kicking a ball for the first team.

Secondly, for a section of our fans to boo the team off at half time was pretty disgusting in my opinion. Who do they think they are? Yes, it was a lacklustre performance but if that's the way you want to behave after a poor half they should be off watching one of the other Glasgow teams.

It was poor yesterday but I have seen plenty of poor performances over the years where we didn't get the result and yesterday we did. Look at the way some of the other Premiership teams have struggled and not won their games. Would you rather be them?

In the last two seasons we have played 8 League Cup group games, winning seven and drawing one. Perhaps those whinging about Nisbet or those who booed their team off at half time yesterday could tell me what team has a better record than that?

• Like 1

Agree that KN should not be singled out in a team where nearly everybody underperformed and that we need to see much more of him before turning an opinion.

However, I don't condemn the fans for making their displeasure know to the team at half time.

During Lambie's tenure, sides would get real pelters after turning in that sort of performance and got told exactly what was what at full time from the terracing next to the tunnel.

Who knows, maybe the booing led to the improved performance and the win in the second half.

Agree that KN should not be singled out in a team where nearly everybody underperformed and that we need to see much more of him before turning an opinion.

However, I don't condemn the fans for making their displeasure know to the team at half time.

During Lambie's tenure, sides would get real pelters after turning in that sort of performance and got told exactly what was what at full time from the terracing next to the tunnel.

Who knows, maybe the booing led to the improved performance and the win in the second half.

I could understand if it was during a run of below standard, effortless performances, or even if we were losing the game but it wasn't.

I remember teams through the years getting all sorts of abuse but we had just won our last home game 5-0 and I really don't think it was justified.

The performance after half time didn't improve much, if at all.

Archie said today the booing wasn't helpful.

I'm sure many of those who booed the team off at half time were among the ones who clapped the team back on to the pitch for the second half. Following the Jags just ain't rational at times.

Two things have disappointed me with regards to yesterdays game - both from our 'support'.

Firstly, I'm not sure of the facts but I can't remember Kevin Nisbet (that is Nisbet, not Nesbit) starting many games, if any. I'm sure someone can tell me exactly though. So, in a team full of poor performances we decide to pick the youngster out for special treatment.

He was the worst performing player in the starting XI. He's not a kid anymore. He's 20. Granted many players mature later than others, but he's old enough and played enough football not to be left immune from criticism. The lad played 20 games in the second tier last season. If he's to be anything more than an emergency stopgap when the first team is plagued with injuries he has to do better than he did, against a third-tier defence, on Saturday. That doesn't detract from the poor performances of the rest of the team, but neither do their failings exonerate him.

Nisbet didn't do much yesterday but he wasn't alone and you can't exactly say he got excellent service. Did Dools change the game when he replaced him? No. I've seen enough of him playing for the development team to know that there is a decent player in there but some fans have written him off after hardly kicking a ball for the first team.

Doolan caused their keeper more problems in the first 20 seconds he had on the pitch than Nisbet did in the entire 55 minutes or so he was on it. Doolan also forced the error that led to the goal after McLaughlin swung the ball in. So yes, Doolan, in part, changed the game.

Development team football is less like real top-tier Scottish football than Championship football is. While most of us won't have seen his performances for Ayr, I'd say that's a better barometer than a prolonged spell of glorified bounce games.

At best, on the evidence of his spell on loan and Saturday, Nisbet isn't ready for the level we are playing at. If he is to become ready, in the judgment of a lot of people and not unreasonably, he needs to spend another spell on loan with a lower-level Championship or top-level League One team.

Development team football is less like real top-tier Scottish football than Championship football is. While most of us won't have seen his performances for Ayr, I'd say that's a better barometer than a prolonged spell of glorified bounce games.

Sorry for the selective quoting but the U20s is mostly played just as competitively as senior football. I'd go as far as to say more competitively than much of yesterday's fare. If there's any players that do treat development league matches as bounce games it's the occasional overage player returning from injury or needing a bit game time.

• Like 1

Sorry for the selective quoting but the U20s is mostly played just as competitively as senior football. I'd go as far as to say more competitively than much of yesterday's fare. If there's any players that do treat development league matches as bounce games it's the occasional overage player returning from injury or needing a bit game time.

I took the glorified bounce games to mean the league cup matches ?

Still would've expected about 2,600 or 2,700 but hey ho, we'll see how the attendances are after the first 5 or so games. IMHO I think they'll improve from last season mainly because of our top six finish last season.

2250 in a corresponding fixture last season v Queens Pk. I would guess Saturday's attendance just about what would be expected.

He was the worst performing player in the starting XI. He's not a kid anymore. He's 20. Granted many players mature later than others, but he's old enough and played enough football not to be left immune from criticism. The lad played 20 games in the second tier last season. If he's to be anything more than an emergency stopgap when the first team is plagued with injuries he has to do better than he did, against a third-tier defence, on Saturday. That doesn't detract from the poor performances of the rest of the team, but neither do their failings exonerate him.

Doolan caused their keeper more problems in the first 20 seconds he had on the pitch than Nisbet did in the entire 55 minutes or so he was on it. Doolan also forced the error that led to the goal after McLaughlin swung the ball in. So yes, Doolan, in part, changed the game.

At best, on the evidence of his spell on loan and Saturday, Nisbet isn't ready for the level we are playing at. If he is to become ready, in the judgment of a lot of people and not unreasonably, he needs to spend another spell on loan with a lower-level Championship or top-level League One team.

I'm not defending his performance but I will defend the player. He played in a game that every one of our players played below their best but he seems to be the one coming in for most criticism. It was his first start for the first team and, regardless of his age, I think he deserves to be cut more slack.

Yes, the development league isn't the same level as the Premiership but you can still see if a player has talent or not and he has scored a lot of goals in that league. I also saw him play for East Stirlingshire a couple of seasons ago, where he was excellent and watched him for Ayr United last season where he had a quiet game but didn't look out of place.

One of my biggest gripes about Scottish football (it is the same in the English Premier League but for different reasons) is that we don't see enough youngsters coming through. We have a ridiculous league set up where two thirds of the teams play with fear and set out not to lose rather than to win. With this in mind, clubs look for the ready made player option rather than introducing one of their youngsters. People talk about not wanting to see meaningless games with a bigger league but it would be ideal to try out young players to see if they can cut it.

I don't know if Kevin Nisbet will make it as a footballer or not but time will tell. He will likely go out on loan again once we complete our new signings this week, hopefully at a club where he can get plenty of game time.

I suppose in summary I am just disappointed that a section of our support chose a 20 year old player making his full debut as scapegoat for the day. I don't feel that this, or the booing of the team at half time were justified.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 2