Stranraer 29/7/17

Auld Jag

So who's the scapegoat today? Don't let the fact the whole team were crap put you off. Come on let's pick one out and we'll crucify him.

Thought moving Abdul to centreback during the 2nd half was more significant than that effective tho' Barton at least came alive finally. Don't think a MotM was announced, which is hardly surprising. If forced I'd nominate McLaughlin simply because if he wasn't on the pitch I very much doubt we'd have scored. The only other positive I can come up with is at least we're not starting our league campaign being over confident. :)

• Like 1

Pretty much all been said...

Nobody was a failure today. Nobody was a standout.

Bannigan had a lot of the ball and was sort of linking defence with midfield but I felt he was far too slow and negative today. He wasn't the only one.

I was just saying he should be subbed for Edwards or McCarthy and Archie did it a few minutes later. Think that gave us the little more drive and directness that was required. Dools also helped with that too.

We're through. Job done. No embarrassment.

McLaughlin mom for 8 minute cameo.

Most of the others were rank but not too concerned as we qualified unbeaten.

When's the draw?

Regrettably Nesbit has shown nothing and should be loaned out. Archie presumably rated him higher than McLaughlin but probably not now as he made much more impact today than Nesbit has ever managed.

I agree with much of what has been said but for me....the only real highlight was seeing banzo back in the team. I'd missed the previous games but it was good to see him back. He faded a bit but I thought his passing was excellent. There was no cutting edge in the team at all though; until dools came on. Also, without having a great game it was apparent that spittal is capable of playing some killer passes.

We will need a big step up in the league games. Cotj.

When's the draw?

Regrettably Nesbit has shown nothing and should be loaned out. Archie presumably rated him higher than McLaughlin but probably not now as he made much more impact today than Nesbit has ever managed.

Maybe not, McLaughlin seemed to be part of the 3 attacking midfielders when he came on, whereas Nisbet is obviously an out and out striker. Could just be that is being stronger in that position that up front has limited McLaughlins playing time if that's where Archie sees him playing.

He looked good though, really confident on the ball. Unfortunately Nisbet hasn't been able to grab his opportunity, although the service to him was garbage today.

There keeper was the pantomime villain yesterday, but we were just as guilty of wasting time with the majority of possession. Square, back, left, square, right, cutback....... Nobody had the baws to run with the ball. The only time we did in the first half we cut them open however Lawless's good work was undone when he delayed his pass to nisbet who was then left with a difficult chance. We had too many players wanting to do the same thing. Our finishing was tragic as well, the advertising on the scaffold behind the goal was given more attention than it should have. Edwards passing the ball straight out the park when under no pressure was absolutely astonishing, I was looking around to see if someone was injured. Archie has a lot of work on his hands this week.

When's the draw?

the draw is on live on BT Sport after the Dundee derby, k.o is at 3.

If we had drawn yesterday and won the shootout we would have had 9 points and plus 6 GD same as Killie - how would it have been decided who went through

not sure, but Dundee derby would still have had a bearing as well as they have similar GD before the game today. IF DU lost by 2 there would have been a 3 way tie for 2 places (I think) so they would just have found a way to put us out :rolleyes:

More of an aside but Clown Beaton (or 4th official, if there was one) deemed 3 minutes extra time be played. Now I know the 30 secs per sub thingy isn't usually adhered to but six 2nd half substitutions plus Banzo's treatment must have taken up the 3 minutes. In effect that left no additional minutes for their goalie's time wasting. While it's undeniably justice, that due to the goalie's antics Stranraer were denied more injury time, it could easily have been a case of us needing an extra goal to progress. Reckon tho' Oor Tomas must have been impressed with those time wasting antics. :)

Maybe not, McLaughlin seemed to be part of the 3 attacking midfielders when he came on, whereas Nisbet is obviously an out and out striker. Could just be that is being stronger in that position that up front has limited McLaughlins playing time if that's where Archie sees him playing.

He looked good though, really confident on the ball. Unfortunately Nisbet hasn't been able to grab his opportunity, although the service to him was garbage today.

It was almost as though they thought it that was Dools on the pitch and not Nisbet, he hasnt the pace of Dools and is a different type of striker.

If we had drawn yesterday and won the shootout we would have had 9 points and plus 6 GD same as Killie - how would it have been decided who went through

(i) overall goal difference, with the greatest positive goal difference ranking highest;

(ii) most goals scored;

(iii) most away goals scored;

(iv) most matches won;

(v) most Away matches won; and

(vi) drawing of lots using a procedure determined by the Board.

ETA: Having now checked the tables, we both would have gone through anyway in that circumstance.

Edited by BowenBoys

not sure, but Dundee derby would still have had a bearing as well as they have similar GD before the game today. IF DU lost by 2 there would have been a 3 way tie for 2 places (I think) so they would just have found a way to put us out :rolleyes:

I assumed a draw which would mean both qualify, but take your point

It was almost as though they thought it that was Dools on the pitch and not Nisbet, he hasnt the pace of Dools and is a different type of striker.

I was thinking that during the game. Maybe if we are looking for backup for Doolan we should be going for something similar as opposed to a big guy.

• Like 1

You are right - for some reason I thought there would have been 3 other teams on 10 in 2nd place.

(i) overall goal difference, with the greatest positive goal difference ranking highest;

(ii) most goals scored;

(iii) most away goals scored;

(iv) most matches won;

(v) most Away matches won; and

(vi) drawing of lots using a procedure determined by the Board.

ETA: Having now checked the tables, we both would have gone through anyway in that circumstance.

More of an aside but Clown Beaton (or 4th official, if there was one) deemed 3 minutes extra time be played. Now I know the 30 secs per sub thingy isn't usually adhered to but six 2nd half substitutions plus Banzo's treatment must have taken up the 3 minutes. In effect that left no additional minutes for their goalie's time wasting. While it's undeniably justice, that due to the goalie's antics Stranraer were denied more injury time, it could easily have been a case of us needing an extra goal to progress. Reckon tho' Oor Tomas must have been impressed with those time wasting antics. :)

Most of the greeting about time wasting was at times when substitutions were being made. At least our keeper would never do such a thing...