North-West Bus V Hearts 19/11..................maybe?

CCjag

I have a suspicion that the Edinburgh side are creating this "will it/won't it?" scenario so that when it is declared that the game is on they will be seen to have pulled a rabbit out of the bag - all good publicity/fake news and smoke and mirrors.

The SPFL and, I suppose, the SFA are so gullible they will greet this as wonderful news and the press will cheer to the rafters - never mind that this should not have been allowed to happen and the stand is already 2-3 months late.

They are having a laugh and we are the hapless goons caught in the middle of this pantomime which they are playing out to make their failed project seem some kind of "on time and on budget" success.

Rant over :-)

Please could someone remind me? Did Thistle state at the time why we agreed to switch the original fixture?

Probably were asked to by the SPFL. Thought at the time it was a reasonable request and the sort of good will you would expect from any club. But here we are in November with only one, maybe two games the entire month and both away. I don't see the SPFL jumping thru hoops to rearrange fixtures to accommodate us and help alleviate this ridiculous spread of fixtures. Was at the U20s tonight and perhaps if we knew for certain we had no game this weekend Archie may have had a couple more first teamers stretching their legs.

I take it we can't refuse to agree to the postponement?

Herald article doesn't much sound like the game will go ahead...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15660939.Furious_Partick_Thistle_fear_their_game_with_Hearts_will_be_be_postponed___meaning_nine_matches_in_December/#comments-anchor

The standard of English displayed by the Herald in that article is abominable.

Is that the best that one of Scotland's premier newspapers can achieve these days?

"Firhill club had been given no real clear indication ABOUT IF Tynecastle will be ready"

...Has the reporter never encountered the word "whether" for use in such circumstances?

"The stand’s grand opening would be delayed because, incredibly, an employee at the club HAD FORGOT to order the seats."

...the grammar here is a disgrace.

It appears that semi-literate teenagers now write for the Herald.

PS - new stand or not, Tynecastle will still be a shithole.... :-)

• Like 2

Newspapers today have done away with an old vital job - proofreader. They expect a spellcheck on the word processor to do that but it can't - it can tell if a word is correctly spelt but not whether it's the right or wrong word or whether the sentence makes sense. Laziness and cheapness and they don't seem to care that it makes them look bad. Mind you they don't care whether the articles they print are crap so I guess proofreading is low down on their list of things they bother about.

• Like 1

Newspapers today have done away with an old vital job - proofreader. They expect a spellcheck on the word processor to do that but it can't - it can tell if a word is correctly spelt but not whether it's the right or wrong word or whether the sentence makes sense. Laziness and cheapness and they don't seem to care that it makes them look bad. Mind you they don't care whether the articles they print are crap so I guess proofreading is low down on their list of things they bother about.

The Herald in particular has plummeted in quality.

I would think it's time for the SPFL board to step in and take an executive decision on this one - there's not enough time now to switch to Firhill, Murrayfield is a no-go due to the autumn tests so the only logical conclusion is a postponement - it should not be left to ECC to hang about Friday and into the weekend to grant a safety certificate - it's not fair on either side to be preparing for a game that ultimately may not go ahead.

If this is the current state of play outside the ground then you can only wonder if the second fix is satisfactory inside.

Shambles.

JS136473172.jpg

Monday 4th December is free and would be quite appropriate as my diary says that it is International Cheetah Day.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

Older readers may be able to confirm that at one time clubs couldn't be asked to play rearranged fixtures in December of January (or in the week of a Scottish Cup tie for that matter). I'm sure I'm not making that up. Now they're so hell-bent on the first available free date you couldn't actually rule another match in December out. The mindset seems to be that it's an absolute must that they start again after the winter break with no backlog. The impact on paying customers seems way down the list of priorities. That's assuming it's on the list in the first place.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

Older readers may be able to confirm that at one time clubs couldn't be asked to play rearranged fixtures in December of January (or in the week of a Scottish Cup tie for that matter). I'm sure I'm not making that up. Now they're so hell-bent on the first available free date you couldn't actually rule another match in December out. The mindset seems to be that it's an absolute must that they start again after the winter break with no backlog. The impact on paying customers seems way down the list of priorities. That's assuming it's on the list in the first place.

There's also the irony of the winter break. It's only compulsory to have undersoil heating for grass pitches in the top league. It's only the top league that have the winter break.

It's time Ian Maxwell dealt with this is the game on or game off scenario , in my opinion PTFC and its supporters are being treated as second class citizens in all of this , it's time Maxi stood up for our club and told Hearts this isn't ideal preparation for the team and also for the supporters for travelling arrangements etc

Spoke to a business colleague in Edinburgh today who told me Tynecastle still looks like a building site .

Grow a pair Maxi and stand up for our club !!!

• Like 1

It's time Ian Maxwell dealt with this is the game on or game off scenario , in my opinion PTFC and its supporters are being treated as second class citizens in all of this , it's time Maxi stood up for our club and told Hearts this isn't ideal preparation for the team and also for the supporters for travelling arrangements etc

Spoke to a business colleague in Edinburgh today who told me Tynecastle still looks like a building site .

Grow a pair Maxi and stand up for our club !!!

Hearts are saying the game is on. The SPFL are saying the game is on.

I would be very surprised if Ian Maxwell isn't working hard to fight Thistle's corner on this. If no SPFL rules are being broken, what do you expect him to do?

Everyone at Thistle must proceed on the assumption that the game is on.

It's a difficult situation. Hearts are spending £20m on ground improvements. Imo they should be applauded for this and the new stand does look great. Building projects of this scale are complex and difficult. Add to this the need to adhere to a football fixture programme and the whole situation is fraught with problems. The SPFL are trying to help a club that is trying to improve itself, which is only right.

There is, however, a big but. Part of the finance for this project is from season ticket sales. With the help of the SPFL and fixture switching, Hearts fans were expecting to watch most home games this season from their shiny new seats. This project was originally due to be completed in September. We are now in November and the project is far from completion. It's entirely possible that this weekend's game will be postponed. There is a feeling, among Hearts fans, that the completion date was set impossibly early in order to help the sale of season tickets. The SPFL should have imposed contractual obligations on Hearts to ensure that the project was more reasonably achievable. There's nothing like a financial penalty or points forfeit to focus the minds of ambitious club directors. Fairly obvious with hindsight, I suppose.

• Like 1

Hearts are saying the game is on. The SPFL are saying the game is on.

I would be very surprised if Ian Maxwell isn't working hard to fight Thistle's corner on this. If no SPFL rules are being broken, what do you expect him to do?

Everyone at Thistle must proceed on the assumption that the game is on.

It's a difficult situation. Hearts are spending £20m on ground improvements. Imo they should be applauded for this and the new stand does look great. Building projects of this scale are complex and difficult. Add to this the need to adhere to a football fixture programme and the whole situation is fraught with problems. The SPFL are trying to help a club that is trying to improve itself, which is only right.

There is, however, a big but. Part of the finance for this project is from season ticket sales. With the help of the SPFL and fixture switching, Hearts fans were expecting to watch most home games this season from their shiny new seats. This project was originally due to be completed in September. We are now in November and the project is far from completion. It's entirely possible that this weekend's game will be postponed. There is a feeling, among Hearts fans, that the completion date was set impossibly early in order to help the sale of season tickets. The SPFL should have imposed contractual obligations on Hearts to ensure that the project was more reasonably achievable. There's nothing like a financial penalty or points forfeit to focus the minds of ambitious club directors. Fairly obvious with hindsight, I suppose.

Do you know what , I have no interest whatsoever in Hearts football club only PTFC .

At the start of the week if there was no safety certificate in place the game should have been called off , simple question if it had been the Old Firm who were due to play on Sunday do you think this would have been allowed ? or are we being perceived as the wee diddy club and don't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

The sharing and caring SPFL have given us a ridiculous fixture list for December , thought the supporters were meant to be the lifeblood of the game, really they haven't got a clue .

Edited by jlsarmy

Why postpone a game a week in advance when the circumstances are obviously going to change? Hearts and the SPFL have never said the game was in doubt. Edin Council have been positive about the Safety Certificate. I'm sure Archie and the players want it played. I fail to see how postponing the game would benefit anyone. Yes, I think it would be the same if it were one of the Old Firm playing. Fixtures have to be played. It's what football clubs do.

The December fixtures are ridiculous. Celtic have 9 games, we have 8 and everyone else has 7. Of course, if the Hearts game is postponed we will have 9 too. I think supporters are the lifeblood of the game. The authorities, it seems, don't agree.

A game in doubt scenario is hardly exceptional. It's far from uncommon to not know if a game is going ahead as close as an hour from kick off. So I don't think the game should've been called off a week before. What I feel is wrong is that the fans are being kept out of the loop re probability of game taking place. But that's often the case when bad weather threatens a game. I wouldn't want to take some moral high ground as I don't believe PTFC have exactly always been completely upfront re some recent postponements at Firhill.

BB's last two sentences above say it all. As usual it's always the fans that.get mucked about. This is just another example.

• Like 1