Mid-Season Report Card

Jaggernaut

It comes as no surprise that the bottom two clubs are the ones that started the season with the worst run of fixtures possible.

Ross County may buy their way out of trouble again and we've somehow managed to stay in touch despite an horrendous run of injuries.

Hamilton will be wondering how they're only just above the drop zone after a good start and some good performances.

I'd be worried if I were them.

Will be a close run thing for who will join Hamilton in the bottom two but I think we'll have just enough to stay up.

I think it will be Ross County & Hamilton occupying the bottom two places by end of season.

The scary thing about that is both clubs are serial survivors. I'd much rather one of the bigger clubs (Dundee, 'Well, Killie) go into free fall.

I really believe, for perhaps the first time since we came up, the ba's completely in our court. Guess I'm saying in previous seasons we've been able to rely on other clubs to **** up. This season it's more than ever up to us and unlike before we can't rely on any competitor club to help us.

I thought with us signing Storey and Sammon (combined with having Dools) we’d have enough fire power in us to keep us up but mibees aye mibees naw.

the midfield isn’t creating enough, probably because it has been occupied by Edwards, Barton and Erskine/Woods/Mccarthy/Fraser, and with the complete lack of threat from the wingbacks that has seriously held us back. hopefully getting some natural width about us will free up the midfield and free up Erskine to sit in the no.10 role and run riot. I think we need 2 or 3 players in in this window to give the squad a lift and to give a few players a boot up the arse.

I thought with us signing Storey and Sammon (combined with having Dools) we’d have enough fire power in us to keep us up but mibees aye mibees naw.

the midfield isn’t creating enough, probably because it has been occupied by Edwards, Barton and Erskine/Woods/Mccarthy/Fraser, and with the complete lack of threat from the wingbacks that has seriously held us back. hopefully getting some natural width about us will free up the midfield and free up Erskine to sit in the no.10 role and run riot. I think we need 2 or 3 players in in this window to give the squad a lift and to give a few players a boot up the arse.

Over recent seasons I'm usually kinda critical of our midfield with regards to their goal contribution. This season is no different except I feel there's mitigating circumstances in so much that the likes of Barton and Edwards have been forced into more defensive roles. The fact neither have been effective from a defensive point of view is another matter but even when we've played two up there's been a fair gap between attacking mid and forward(s). Take Dools and Barton out the equation but players like Sammon, Storey and Edwards, none of whom are so technically gifted, need a higher percentage of chances/time on the ball to create anything.

Apart from now obviously needing another centreback I'm not exactly sure in what other positions we need to strengthen. My biggest fear is that one or two of the returning players fail to play to their pre injury form. Probably Banzo and Abdul are the biggest worries as neither were exactly on top form at the start of the season. At the same time I can't see Archie bringing in yet another central mid as we've already got Woods, Fraser and McCarthy. The full back/wingback side of things are also looking a lot healthier. Archie won't turn up the chance of signing another attacker (goalscorer or creative forward) but I doubt that's a buyer's market at our level. Every chance no one realistically will be available. No idea of how much is available budget wise but I reckon the bulk of that should go on replacing Turnbull.

In short we probably need another player in to convert chances into goals but first we're needing players to create more chances. A strong back line will help the midfield create these chances. Prior to knowing that Turnbull was away it's hardly what we'd want to hear but one inspired centreback signing may have to do.

Cerny. Made of glass at times, but such a dependable keeper.

McGinn. Not sure about him. Definitely not an attacking wing back we need or are used to seeing, but you can't fault his commitment.

Devine. Occasionally ok, but can be a bombscare. If we had kep Turnbull I think he would've faced a bit of time on the bench.

Keown. Seems to be coming onto the form of last season after a poor few months.

Barton. Horrendous in midfield. Just what we need at the back. Particularly if Devine is back in beside Keown.

Spittal. Archie's best signing this season. Went off the boil for a spell, but he is definitely a great addition to the squad.

Edwards. Ok, he has contributed two crucial goals, but generally a headless chicken who has no end product.

McCarthy. This boy excites me. Looks to be coming onto a game. But sadly I can see him benched now Osman is back.

Woods. Once fully fit he will be an asset to us. Is comfortable on the ball and has bags of experience.

Erskine. Generally poor from him this season. With better cover behind him he will be allowed a bit more freedom and we know what Chris can do.

Lawless. Hot and cold this season. Coped admirably at left wing back, which must be totally alien to him. Can't fault his effort.

Sammon. Gives us something else to our game. The two goals he has scored have been excellently executed. Given more ammunition and a free role up front he will score a few more. Wouldn't be disappointed if we took him permanently.

Storey. Not a Lionel Messi, but has bags of pace. The goal v. St .Johnstone shows what he can do and the two goals he set up v. Motherwell shows that we can get great returns from him.

Doolan. I can't add anything to what has already been said about this club legend. Only to add, what difference would there be if he had been fully fit?

Regards the injured players coming back. Great to see Osman and Booth back. Will make a difference. Dumbaya? His injury woes are a massive concern. Will he survive until the end of the season?

Fraser. Undoubted talent there. Hopefully he will put his woes behind him now. Otherwise he will probably be off in June.

Elliott. Desperately need him back. A fantastic club man.

Our loan boy Penrice. This guy oozes talent. Get him on a long term deal now Archie. Is so versatile with a sweet left foot

The manager...It is well known what I think of Archie. I have niggling doubts about him and I haven't seen anything to dispel that. But I know he will be here at least till the end of season, so we just get on with it. Will probably still moan about him though

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Like 1

I think if Woods is fit he could play the Sean Welsh type role as and when needed. Our distribution from the back thru midfield has been poor so far this season and I feel we've missed Welsh's link up play. woods appears to be a similar type of player. One thing for sure if either Woods or Penrice is on the park we'll get quality corners, especially swung in from the right hand side.

• Like 1

Cerny. Made of glass at times, but such a dependable keeper.

McGinn. Not sure about him. Definitely not an attacking wing back we need or are used to seeing, but you can't fault his commitment.

Devine. Occasionally ok, but can be a bombscare. If we had kep Turnbull I think he would've faced a bit of time on the bench.

Keown. Seems to be coming onto the form of last season after a poor few months.

Barton. Horrendous in midfield. Just what we need at the back. Particularly if Devine is back in beside Keown.

Spittal. Archie's best signing this season. Went off the boil for a spell, but he is definitely a great addition to the squad.

Edwards. Ok, he has contributed two crucial goals, but generally a headless chicken who has no end product.

McCarthy. This boy excites me. Looks to be coming onto a game. But sadly I can see him benched now Osman is back.

Woods. Once fully fit he will be an asset to us. Is comfortable on the ball and has bags of experience.

Erskine. Generally poor from him this season. With better cover behind him he will be allowed a bit more freedom and we know what Chris can do.

Lawless. Hot and cold this season. Coped admirably at left wing back, which must be totally alien to him. Can't fault his effort.

Sammon. Gives us something else to our game. The two goals he has scored have been excellently executed. Given more ammunition and a free role up front he will score a few more. Wouldn't be disappointed if we took him permanently.

Storey. Not a Lionel Messi, but has bags of pace. The goal v. St .Johnstone shows what he can do and the two goals he set up v. Motherwell shows that we can get great returns from him.

Doolan. I can't add anything to what has already been said about this club legend. Only to add, what difference would there be if he had been fully fit?

Regards the injured players coming back. Great to see Osman and Booth back. Will make a difference. Dumbaya? His injury woes are a massive concern. Will he survive until the end of the season?

Fraser. Undoubted talent there. Hopefully he will put his woes behind him now. Otherwise he will probably be off in June.

Elliott. Desperately need him back. A fantastic club man.

Our loan boy Penrice. This guy oozes talent. Get him on a long term deal now Archie. Is so versatile with a sweet left foot

The manager...It is well known what I think of Archie. I have niggling doubts about him and I haven't seen anything to dispel that. But I know he will be here at least till the end of season, so we just get on with it. Will probably still moan about him though

A good summary from what I can tell. Only seen the games on Alba and Sky etc.

Would add the following in addition to your comments.

McGinn.

Makes the easiest job on the pitch look difficult. Not much has been asked of him it seems and it isn't difficult to tackle and pass the ball 5 yards.

Devine.

From the centre back school of 'please can I be sweeper', cause I'd rather take no responsibility whatsoever.

Edwards.

Not my favourite type of player but could be useful if other players were doing their job. Can disrupt the opposition on a good day.

The manager...

No manager is faultless but Archie has provided Thistle fans with a great few years that I don't think we appreciate enough.

One day we'll look back on this period with fondness.

Now can we please just beat Rangers and win the Scottish Cup!!

Harsh. I’ve said many times to others, don’t just judge players by matches on tv

Agree, which is why I made the point of saying it.

Can seem like a different game at times.

The most bizarre experience I've had of this was the latest Scotland v England game.

I watched at Hampden and then taped it on two different channels for when I got home.

Think it was BBC and Sky or BT.

One channel filmed from the dugout side of the pitch and the other from the North Stand side.

I felt like I'd watched 3 different games.

In 2 of the 3 I blamed Armstrong for the poor pass at the end that cost a goal.

In 1 of the 3 I blamed Gordon for not coming for the cross.

It could easily be that McGinn is doing more than it seems on the box and I hope he is :)

Harsh. I’ve said many times to others, don’t just judge players by matches on tv

Agree entirely. Paul's not blessed with pace but positions himself well to compensate. I doubt I'd be in the minority when I say McGinn's more of a full back than a wingback Besides the sluggish distribution out of central defence (and from Cerny to a considerable degree) is more of a problem. It'll be interesting to see if Muzzy/Christie can get on the ball any quicker than PMcG.