Alloa 15.12.18

westertonjagfan

19 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure how you move some of these players on if they’re under contract unless you pay them off ,at this moment I wouldn’t back Caldwell to pick a winner in a one ticket raffle .

Exactly what I mean. Who is going to take the players we want to punt. Also what sort of players are we going to bring in. This window will tell us even more about Caldwell.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Another terrible performance today ,rite from kick off they were the far hungrier team.     So much for our full-time training ,if they can be as fit as that on part-time maby  we should give it a try next week............

Some serious questions. 

What exactly do the squad do all week at training as full time footballers?  What is their schedule, what skills to they practice? 

How long  per day do they attend training, what set piece moves to they rehearse?  When they go to the sports scientist at the SFA (as all clubs do) to check their fitness, what happens when the results are known? 

The impression gained from watching them is that they are decent part-time players, with no improvement in skills or tactics week on week despite obvious weaknesses. 

Despite Alloa looking quite good going forward, I though that our play in the first half merited the lead. Good movement up-front created quite a few good chances.  Unfortunately, Alloa's goal was a defensive error, kick-out by their goalie (the "purple fud"), poor clearance by Scobbie and then poor defending by Jeffries to let the boy get past him so easily. What was worrying was that Alloa had three guys in the box waiting to finish off the pass (we were too slow getting back). Second half was a different story. They bossed us for the majority of the half and too many of our players were posted missing.... 

A couple of times in the game Penrice had attackers running at him and he ran back instead of steering them away from goal. Somebody needs to show him how to position himself so that the attacker is steered into a less-dangerous zone. Running away from them isnae helping.

Edited by Hugh Janus
  • Like 1

Just now, Hugh Janus said:

Despite Alloa looking quite good going forward, I though that our play in the first half merited the lead. Good movement up-front created quite a few good chances.  Unfortunately, Alloa's goal was a defensive error, kick-out by their goalie (the "purple fud"), poor clearance by Scobbie and then poor defending by Jeffries to let the boy get past him so easily. What was worrying was that Alloa had three guys in the box waiting to finish off the pass (we were too slow getting back). Second half was a different story. They bossed us for the majority of the half and too many of our players were posted missing.... 

A couple of times in the game Penrice had attackers running at him and he ran back instead of steering them away from goal. Somebody needs to show him how to position himself so that the attacker is steered into a less-dangerous zone. Running away from them isnae helping.

Ran out of likes. I thought we matched with effort and intensity 1st half. Deserved to go in ahead but i think everyone was worried we would disappear 2nd half, and we did.

It's easy to blame the players who have been gash for too long. Many on here have voiced concerns re the players archie kept and the ones he brought in.

I've been as critical as most on here about Caldwell and i'm in the "not for me" camp. But he has zero of his own players at the club and though i firmly believe he should be getting more out of these players, he needs a window, perhaps 2, for us to fully judge. My gut tells me he is taking us down and will be sacked or will walk. We ARE that bad.

If these players were going to get a boost in confidence it was after v dunfermline followed by a home game v part timers. I'm disgusted with caldwell and the team but there's little we can do bar sit back and watch. So frustrating. 

There needs to be a complete clear out and re build but that's going to take longer than a few weeks/months and will, imho, talk a better coach/manager than caldwell.

What would Lambie Doo. First bring in experienced Pros who have been over the course, shore up the defence, cut out the pointless passing, get the ball in the box and score goals, bin Bannigan, the minute he had his agent trying to get a new club would have been the last time he would have worn the shirt. We know its going to be tough, its not the time to play attractive, its a time to dig in, find players with hair on their balls and  fight..............

• Like 2

The problem is the manager , trying to be clever with systems , trying to shoehorn players into positions they’ve never played before Aidan Fitzpatrick for example yesterday ( left sided midfield player ) , spent the majority of the game yesterday chasing the opposition players. Anybody who has watched Aidan in the 20s knows he’s a player who likes to create and take players on and makes things happen.

Go back to a 4 4 11 or 4 4 2 and defend 10 yards further up the park instead of letting teams come onto us as what has happened the last 3 games .

Tell the full backs to push on and get the midfield players to dovetail with them to provide cover .

I don’t think at our level we need to overthink it and I still believe there is good players at the Club to get us out of this mess .

Just now, One t in Scotland said:

Excellent news. Does this mean they can replace the current shower of no-hopers?

No no no, jls and sabbath are onto something.

When you , as a team, are sh1te....get back to the basics.

Defend hard and dirty.

Run your socks off in midfield closing down the opposition. Keep one up top (we never do that so when we are under pressure there's no out ball)  to chase and harry and when the midfield win it back they have a target to aim for. Too often dools drifts out wide.

Long ball? Aye, if you have a big bullish target man to hold it up.

When you are in the sh1te you A/ keep the ball away from your own goal B/ get the ball into the oppositions goal area AND C/ shoot on sight.

What you don't do is A/ give up B/ try and play "football" C/ be gentlemanly.

In short we need a team of jim goodwin's, Big mad mental's, ghost's etc etc.

Once we master that we can then start to play.

Stop the f@ck trying to be a clever dick gary caldwell. Get back to the basics. All you need for that is fitness and a big heart!!! We've all got the heart, it's just the fitness that would let us down

Why does Doolan not get the flak that others like Storey,  Spittal and others get?

His contribution yesterday was zero.

Kris works well when the team is doing well and creating chances but vanished most of last season and now is contributing very little. I know we have limited options but for me he needs dropped.

45 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Why does Doolan not get the flak that others like Storey,  Spittal and others get?

Kris works well when the team is doing well and creating chances but vanished most of last season and now is contributing very little. I know we have limited options but for me he needs dropped.

It wasn't.

He scored. Which is was he's paid to do.

1 hour ago, thebiglemon said:

Looked to me he was playing more a number 10 role with Storey up front. So there were crosses going  in that you knew Dools would have been close if playing in his regular position.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

No no no, jls and sabbath are onto something.

When you , as a team, are sh1te....get back to the basics.

Defend hard and dirty.

Run your socks off in midfield closing down the opposition. Keep one up top (we never do that so when we are under pressure there's no out ball)  to chase and harry and when the midfield win it back they have a target to aim for. Too often dools drifts out wide.

Long ball? Aye, if you have a big bullish target man to hold it up.

When you are in the sh1te you A/ keep the ball away from your own goal B/ get the ball into the oppositions goal area AND C/ shoot on sight.

What you don't do is A/ give up B/ try and play "football" C/ be gentlemanly.

In short we need a team of jim goodwin's, Big mad mental's, ghost's etc etc.

Once we master that we can then start to play.

Stop the f@ck trying to be a clever dick gary caldwell. Get back to the basics. All you need for that is fitness and a big heart!!! We've all got the heart, it's just the fitness that would let us down

Ran out of likes. Spot on .  Are you any good with power points at interviews ?

Two poor goals to give away.  The first one in particular. It starts with McGinty making a mess of the clearance - then Banzo fails to follow the runner into the box. Penrice also really should have quicker to help out as two of the center backs go out to try to block the cross leaving Jefferies to try and mark 3 Alloa players. When the goal goes in there are three Alloa players unmarked in our box. 

The second one is poor also - nobody takes responsibility to close Zanatta down.  McGinty is in no man's land marking nobody,  Scobbie and Spittal both far too slow to close the goal scorer down. Collective failure again. 

Going to be a few red faces at the match evaluation tomorrow at Firhill! 

Caldwell gets the starting line-up wrong. Fitzpatrick for me was always going to find the conditions difficult and we would have been better starting McCarthy. Banzo I thought was left to much work to do in the center of the park against a hard working and organized Alloa side.

He then left the subs far too late. Both Erskine and McCarthy struggled to get into the match but Alloa had the momentum and if the subs had been earlier | feel this would not have been the case. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

Two poor goals to give away.  The first one in particular. It starts with McGinty making a mess of the clearance - then Banzo fails to follow the runner into the box. Penrice also really should have quicker to help out as two of the center backs go out to try to block the cross leaving Jefferies to try and mark 3 Alloa players. When the goal goes in there are three Alloa players unmarked in our box. 

The second one is poor also - nobody takes responsibility to close Zanatta down.  McGinty is in no man's land marking nobody,  Scobbie and Spittal both far too slow to close the goal scorer down. Collective failure again. 

Going to be a few red faces at the match evaluation tomorrow at Firhill! 

Caldwell gets the starting line-up wrong. Fitzpatrick for me was always going to find the conditions difficult and we would have been better starting McCarthy. Banzo I thought was left to much work to do in the center of the park against a hard working and organized Alloa side.

He then left the subs far too late. Both Erskine and McCarthy struggled to get into the match but Alloa had the momentum and if the subs had been earlier | feel this would not have been the case. 

Correct on all counts

7 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

I think Doolan gets off lightly because of his legendary status- excuses tend to be made for him that are not made for others eg he doesn’t get good service- let’s be honest guys like Dobbie and Shankland can’t possibly be getting service for every goal they have scored.  Doolan has been awful this season 

6 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Looked to me he was playing more a number 10 role with Storey up front. So there were crosses going  in that you knew Dools would have been close if playing in his regular position.

That's about right. Doolan started up front in his usual position. Caldwell changed the shape to two up. Inevitably either Storey or Doolan  would be drawn back into a non ball winning midfield and it wasn't going to be Storey.  

Brechin were the only part time team in the Championship last season. They never won a league game and were relegated long before the season was over. This season Alloa are the only part time team in the league, I am not saying they wont go down but they are sure making a good go of staying in the league. Imo Goodwin will go to bigger and better things. Should he have been in the home dug out on Saturday ? Although in a way he was.

18 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Ran out of likes. Spot on .  Are you any good with power points at interviews ?

Hahaha cheers matey.

Eh.......whats power point????? Computers you say?

Joking aside, footballs a dead simple premise isn't it. Lambie's generation had it figured out. Keep the ball out of our net, work hard to keep the ball when you have it, work harder when you don't. Play the easy pass, where possible keep the ball in the oppositions half cos they can't score from there and ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN.

This generation (hope i don't sound like my dear departed dad) seem to be intent on complicating their game. That's fine after you work out these few basics even then man city, barca etc keep it simple. 

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Doolan gets off lightly because of his legendary status- excuses tend to be made for him that are not made for others eg he doesn’t get good service- let’s be honest guys like Dobbie and Shankland can’t possibly be getting service for every goal they have scored.  Doolan has been awful this season 

He has, but he's earned the right for us to be a little more tollerant than with others? Agree he's been pants but i always get the feeling he's about to go on a scoring run. Watch his running and positioning, it's his composure and need for another touch....and another touch that's letting him down. I think he's far from done.

Who'd you play ahead of him?

10 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Brechin were the only part time team in the Championship last season. They never won a league game and were relegated long before the season was over. This season Alloa are the only part time team in the league, I am not saying they wont go down but they are sure making a good go of staying in the league. Imo Goodwin will go to bigger and better things. Should he have been in the home dug out on Saturday ? Although in a way he was.

Spot on with the Goodwin assessment, he's had time at alloa cos theres no great weight of expectation  and has done a great job with the player he inherited and has had a tranfer window. 

I'm undecided on caldwell. One minute i want to give him time then next minute want him gone. Common sense says he should get at least a transfer window but common sense doesn't get us points. Just saying i agree and would have been happier had we gone after and captured Goodwin. He is a very shrewed  individual

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Hahaha cheers matey.

Eh.......whats power point????? Computers you say?

Joking aside, footballs a dead simple premise isn't it. Lambie's generation had it figured out. Keep the ball out of our net, work hard to keep the ball when you have it, work harder when you don't. Play the easy pass, where possible keep the ball in the oppositions half cos they can't score from there and ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN.

This generation (hope i don't sound like my dear departed dad) seem to be intent on complicating their game. That's fine after you work out these few basics even then man city, barca etc keep it simple. 

There’s definitely something in this. A feature of modern football management - which Caldwell seems to absolutely embody and personify - is a complete over complication of everything. Football isn’t a science and it doesn’t require complex pseudo-philosophy. It’s a simple game played by (on the whole, let’s be honest) pretty simple guys. 

If Caldwell cuts the nonsense about the team being a process, about his passing philosophy bla bla bla and just got us winning games of football then that would be grand. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1