Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Weebaw1

League Cup

Recommended Posts

On 7 September  the club announced that those with season tickets would get live coverage of League games at Firhill that were covid restricted. 

They also said that streaming arrangements would be set out later this  month, after staff training.

Looking good! 

Edited by East Kent Jag II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tending to wonder more if there'll be many/any games to actually stream. I've not been reading up too much re the sustainability of closed door games at our level but I'm imagining it'would hardly be feasible for any protracted period. I guess if you've a good chance of progressing in the League Cup it may not be too crippling. So maybe getting out of the section stage will be all important for once. Reduced attendance home matches will only add to any financial misery. No gate money (only ST holders will be in the ground) and stewarding costs will be be relatively high. Plus there'll be other fixed outlay associated with staging an attended fixture regardless of how low the attendance. 

In addition I suppose a covid outbreak within the lower league clubs is considerably more likely. I'm basing that on the number of part time players, who by definition will be in contact with the wider world on a more regular basis. 

 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm tending to wonder more if there'll be many/any games to actually stream. I've not been reading up too much re the sustainability of closed door games at our level but I'm imagining it'would hardly be feasible for any protracted period. I guess if you've a good chance of progressing in the League Cup it may not be too crippling. So maybe getting out of the section stage will be all important for once. Reduced attendance home matches will only add to any financial misery. No gate money (only ST holders will be in the ground) and stewarding costs will be be relatively high. Plus there'll be other fixed outlay associated with staging an attended fixture regardless of how low the attendance. 

In addition I suppose a covid outbreak within the lower league clubs is considerably more likely. I'm basing that on the number of part time players, who by definition will be in contact with the wider world on a more regular basis. 

 

Agreed.

Given the current (and projected) coronavirus situation, I don't think the League Cup should happen this season. Until the number of fans allowed into grounds exceeds the number of season ticket holders, clubs will struggle. It will be hard enough getting through the league season with 42 clubs intact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm tending to wonder more if there'll be many/any games to actually stream. I've not been reading up too much re the sustainability of closed door games at our level but I'm imagining it'would hardly be feasible for any protracted period. I guess if you've a good chance of progressing in the League Cup it may not be too crippling. So maybe getting out of the section stage will be all important for once. Reduced attendance home matches will only add to any financial misery. No gate money (only ST holders will be in the ground) and stewarding costs will be be relatively high. Plus there'll be other fixed outlay associated with staging an attended fixture regardless of how low the attendance. 

In addition I suppose a covid outbreak within the lower league clubs is considerably more likely. I'm basing that on the number of part time players, who by definition will be in contact with the wider world on a more regular basis. 

 

I agree.   Thistle were one of the few clubs willing to play behind closed doors several months ago. The lower leagues seemed destined for at least one season mothballed.   Our court action seemed to me to spur the SPFL into threatening relegation if clubs didn't take part in the league this season.

I don't think that it will take much for lower league clubs to seek abandonment of the campaign,  and as the SPFL are only interested in getting the Premier league to a successful conclusion, they will be more than willing to agree to this.

All clubs have brought in new players, and I wonder if a "covid closure" clause has been introduced into the new contracts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 9:30 AM, Weebaw1 said:

There appears to be little chance of being allowed into grounds.

Are the games being streamed?

Mark Millar an Albion Rovers fan but better known as the person who brought comic strip Kick-Ass etc to the big screen in Hollywood, seeing the plight of clubs in the lower leagues due to covid, formed a group of his friends in the film world to devise a streaming system. The system they developed uses robots and artificial intelligence  to power cameras around the ground without the use of large broadcast teams. It can be relayed around the world. 22 of the 30 lower league teams have signed up. one of which is supposed to be the Jags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @lady-isobel-barnett@BowenBoys and @East Kent Jag II i am concerned that even if the season starts, i will be very surprised if it is completed. As far as i know there is no contingency plan and if the season was ended prematurely we could once again through no fault of our own find Thistle having to play another season in tier 3 of Scottish football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I agree with @lady-isobel-barnett@BowenBoys and @East Kent Jag II i am concerned that even if the season starts, i will be very surprised if it is completed. As far as i know there is no contingency plan and if the season was ended prematurely we could once again through no fault of our own find Thistle having to play another season in tier 3 of Scottish football.

I think it is inevitable that this season will be a washout and the SPFL wont give a shit. We shall see a few clubs disappear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I think it is inevitable that this season will be a washout and the SPFL wont give a shit. We shall see a few clubs disappear. 

I believe that to be not unlikely.

Saddens me a bit to hear some folk saying good riddance if the clubs in question happen to be the clubs that voted us (plus Hearts & Stranraer) down. It was chairmen and/or CEOs of those clubs that voted us down, NOT their supporters. At this moment in time I believe a lot of us are not exactly in tandem with  our own Chairperson, Board and CEO, so wishing ill on other clubs based purely on the actions of their self serving club dignitaries would be rather hypocritical. As way of a specific example I've met quite a few Alloa supporters who all have expressed elements of disgust at the way their club has acted over the summer. Not one of them has a good word to say for Mike Mulraney (Alloa Chairman and current Il Duce at the SFA). I'm sure it's not just us Jags and Alloa fans who have a disconnect with the stewardship of their respective clubs. Dundee fans immediately spring to mind and there'll be plenty more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I have missed something somewhere. I just about understand the streaming arrangements for home games (if and when of course football at our level starts again, and I appreciate that it is a very big IF). What about our away games? Will we be able to buy a stream direct from the home club  (with or without biased commentary), or will there be some reciprocal arrangement between the clubs, meaning that we could buy an "away package" from Thistle? 

I am not very technically minded about that sort of thing, so would appreciate an explanation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I believe that to be not unlikely.

Saddens me a bit to hear some folk saying good riddance if the clubs in question happen to be the clubs that voted us (plus Hearts & Stranraer) down. It was chairmen and/or CEOs of those clubs that voted us down, NOT their supporters. At this moment in time I believe a lot of us are not exactly in tandem with  our own Chairperson, Board and CEO, so wishing ill on other clubs based purely on the actions of their self serving club dignitaries would be rather hypocritical. As way of a specific example I've met quite a few Alloa supporters who all have expressed elements of disgust at the way their club has acted over the summer. Not one of them has a good word to say for Mike Mulraney (Alloa Chairman and current Il Duce at the SFA). I'm sure it's not just us Jags and Alloa fans who have a disconnect with the stewardship of their respective clubs. Dundee fans immediately spring to mind and there'll be plenty more.

The supporters maybe didn’t vote us down, but if you read the championship thread on pie and Bovril, there were loads of fans of other clubs who were in favour of our relegation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing more than a few comments about us "taking our medicine" (even from our own "fans"),  and then calls for Hearts and us to be expelled due to the court case (maybe also from some of our own "fans" haha!). 

I'm at the stage where I don't care much if clubs go bust, as long as it's not us! A shame and all that, but c'est la vie (ou la mort). Many supporters of other clubs will think exactly the same way, I'd bet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The supporters maybe didn’t vote us down, but if you read the championship thread on pie and Bovril, there were loads of fans of other clubs who were in favour of our relegation. 

Wouldn't take posters on P & B as representative. Then again maybe I shouldn't take punters I meet in the pub as representative either :) .

My point still stands. Any grievances we have should be with the chairmen and decision makers at the various clubs and not the fans. There's also likely to be supporters of other clubs who were indifferent to our plight who'll still be pissed off at their boards for missing the opportunity of voting thru league reconstruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Wouldn't take posters on P & B as representative. Then again maybe I shouldn't take punters I meet in the pub as representative either :) .

My point still stands. Any grievances we have should be with the chairmen and decision makers at the various clubs and not the fans. There's also likely to be supporters of other clubs who were indifferent to our plight who'll still be pissed off at their boards for missing the opportunity of voting thru league reconstruction.

The barrier to any reconstruction is the structure of the SPFL management Committee,  and the voting quorum.  The Committee has three member club chairpersons from the Premier, two from the Championship and one from leagues 1 &  2.

Any resolution needs 11 Premier,  8 Championship and 15? from 1 & 2.

As such any resolution needs the backing of management Committee  member clubs to get through. I understand the fear of OF hegemony  that drove this structure, but its a barrier to change. Having club chairs on the Committee is a conflict of interest,  and reactionary. 

The League Management Committee  must become independent,  and exclude club chairs. But any new structure must be thought out properly, to allow the removal of dictators like MacLennan & Doncaster more easily.

Edited by East Kent Jag II
8 Champ. not 10
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Wouldn't take posters on P & B as representative. Then again maybe I shouldn't take punters I meet in the pub as representative either :) .

My point still stands. Any grievances we have should be with the chairmen and decision makers at the various clubs and not the fans. There's also likely to be supporters of other clubs who were indifferent to our plight who'll still be pissed off at their boards for missing the opportunity of voting thru league reconstruction.

What makes you say that P&B posters aren’t representative? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't look at other club's threads. So was meaning fans of other clubs who come on the Jags thread. 

Me neither - it was a general thread about coronavirus and the leagues finishing early.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All lower league clubs playing premiership clubs in the league cup will need to have a covid test. Any lower league club playing a premiership colt team in the challenge cup will also need to be tested, but this will be paid for by the premier league team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  had assumed the rules would be the same for all football matches. Is this a cost saving exercise for lower league clubs or an admission that our season is expendable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s a strange rule, though, isn’t it ? Isn’t there the same risk in QOS vs Thistle as there is in St M vs Thistle ?

Yes, but QotS or Thistle players catching the virus is not going to impact in the Premier League and it’s TV income stream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yes, but QotS or Thistle players catching the virus is not going to impact in the Premier League and it’s TV income stream

Which I think nicely answers BB's question on the expendebility of the lower leagues.

Clubs did receive around £35,000 from Anderson, initially for such costs, but subsequently widened.   So for the occasions they need to test, they should be in a position to cover the costs.

Bet there are a few whines, though......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they really want to protect the Premiership, they should do what cricket did in the summer. Keep them all in their own wee bubble for the season. Relatives can come and have an outside visit once a week. After all if care home residents can do it, so can professional footballers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with all the comments regarding testing. When the talks about football returning started, there was a lot mentioned about players having to be careful and be in some sort of bubbles. Surely with the majority of teams Thistle will be playing being part time, this would at best be a very difficult thing to do ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×