Thistle v Cove Rangers Sat 20th March

elevenone

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yet again, no surprise: a hugely important game, at home, and we fail to beat a part-time team. 

The tired old "understandably rusty" nonsense just doesn't wash; it's the same for everybody. Nor does the "unlucky" excuse, as other teams were no doubt also unlucky in individual incidents in their matches. Four teams in the division managed to win yesterday, despite being rusty, despite being unlucky.

We basically remain a shitty team in a shitty league; nothing has changed. 

I would be surprised if we turn this around and make it into the promotion playoffs, and truly amazed if we won promotion through the play-offs. Failure to do either of those will mean that PTFC has failed again, and is becoming more of an irrelevance.

Agree with your post , McCall hasn’t built a team you would want to go and watch , only the die hard support will continue to follow.

If you rewind to when Jackie Mac built his team full of young , enthusiastic players who wanted to do well and make a name for themselves in the game , that should have been the template this time again , not a side filled with journey man pros on their last legs .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree with your post , McCall hasn’t built a team you would want to go and watch , only the die hard support will continue to follow.

If you rewind to when Jackie Mac built his team full of young , enthusiastic players who wanted to do well and make a name for themselves in the game , that should have been the template this time again , not a side filled with journey man pros on their last legs .

Think one of the challenges for McCall was to stop the rot therefore no time to build and develop a young team. Then the season was cut short and we were binned into league one. Now he needs to get us straight back up so again no time to develop a young squad.

But going with experience isn’t working and we are not good to watch, no flowing football and can’t score more than a goal a game. With 7 games to go we show no signs of turning the corner. I’m grasping at straws in hoping we improve sufficiently to secure top 5 and build up a head of steam over the remaining 7+4 games to win the playoffs and get promoted. It’s hope over expectation and not based on evidence unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Think one of the challenges for McCall was to stop the rot therefore no time to build and develop a young team. Then the season was cut short and we were binned into league one. Now he needs to get us straight back up so again no time to develop a young squad.

But going with experience isn’t working and we are not good to watch, no flowing football and can’t score more than a goal a game. With 7 games to go we show no signs of turning the corner. I’m grasping at straws in hoping we improve sufficiently to secure top 5 and build up a head of steam over the remaining 7+4 games to win the playoffs and get promoted. It’s hope over expectation and not based on evidence unfortunately. 

You’re right , it’s not worked all season and the previous season as well which Ian McCall had almost the full season bar the first 5 games .

If it’s not working , give some of the youngsters a chance , just now there would be less pressure on them with no crowds etc to bed themselves in.

We’ve got nothing to lose 

17 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Sena is in my opinion by far our best player and best prospect in my opinion-but considering how excellent he is today was not good.

nearly lost a goal due to him in first half when he lost ball in box but ref blew for foul - which in my opinion it wasn’t 

that chance in second half was harder to miss than score and ultimately cost us 2 points 

Players miss chances , can’t remember the backlash on Brian Graham when he put over the bar from about 3 yards after a missed penalty.

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right , it’s not worked all season and the previous season as well which Ian McCall had almost the full season bar the first 5 games .

If it’s not working , give some of the youngsters a chance , just now there would be less pressure on them with no crowds etc to bed themselves in.

That season he managed bar the first 5 games he was dealing with someone else’s players bar the last few games when the season ended, so for the vast majority of that season it was not his team 

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Players miss chances , can’t remember the backlash on Brian Graham when he put over the bar from about 3 yards after a missed penalty.

Saying a player should have scored from a few yards out on a forum is not a backlash- he should have, as should Graham have in the game you mentioned 

A backlash would have been screaming abuse at him, demanding he be dropped or kicked out the club. As it is most people have mentioned he is our best player 

Edited by Third Lanark

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Saying a player should have scored from a few yards out on a forum is not a backlash- he should have, as should Graham have in the game you mentioned 

True, but can’t remember Brian Graham getting that scrutiny for that miss as an experienced Centre Forward rather than Sena as a inexperienced Central Defender 

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Having brought 4 experienced players in he’s obviously going to use them. I don’t think bringing youngsters is the answer. The pressure in the next 7 games will be enormous. The experienced players - and management team - need to deliver. 

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

True, but can’t remember Brian Graham getting that scrutiny for that miss as an experienced Centre Forward rather than Sena as a inexperienced Central Defender 

I remember him getting abuse on this board & FB for the missed penalty & the rebound

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

That season he managed bar the first 5 games he was dealing with someone else’s players bar the last few games when the season ended, so for the vast majority of that season it was not his team 

Think the records show he did better with Caldwell’s signings rather than January’s Old Firm Loanees

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Looks to me McCall has picked up a copy of the Dick Campbell Guide to Tactical Football Handbook. The gist of that very slender publication being firstly choose any formation you wish, as long as it's 4-4-2, and secondly only pick players who'll respond to your man management in a positive way. I sense McCall hasn't reached the second chapter.

So it appears priority number one is, we're playing 4-4-2 no matter. Priority number two,  stick in a player to cover each position regardless. A traditional bunnetesque approach. A goalscoring midfielder played deep. A centreback at rightback. A rightback at leftback (even tho' the guy in the left centreback position is really a right sided centreback). A leftback at left midfield.

It's gotta be said that Dick Campbell is relatively successful playing the Dick Campbell way.  Just not that successful that you want to emulate his mode of practice.

1 minute ago, JAG1970 said:

Having brought 4 experienced players in he’s obviously going to use them. I don’t think bringing youngsters is the answer. The pressure in the next 7 games will be enormous. The experienced players - and management team - need to deliver. 

Not a chance with that team , there is no pace in the team , even when we are under pressure there is no out ball to get behind teams with the ball over the top and get us up the park.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think the records show he did better with Caldwell’s signings rather than January’s Old Firm Loanees

Think the record shows he had far far more time with Caldwells team rather than January’s window.  As for OF loaners, not sure of the point your making, as the majority of players we brought in were not from the Old firm and given that he had succes at Ayr with old firm loans hardly surprising he tried it at Firhill 

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Think the record shows he had far far more time with Caldwells team rather than January’s window.  As for OF loaners, not sure of the point your making, as the majority of players we brought in were not from the Old firm and given that he had succes at Ayr with old firm loans hardly surprising he tried it at Firhill 

Not sure his signings have worked at all in the last 2 transfer windows Lee O’Connor , Barjonas, Mayo all from the Old Firm with very little impact.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure his signings have worked at all in the last 2 transfer windows Lee O’Connor , Barjonas, Mayo all from the Old Firm with very little impact.

I did not say they were successful- I said I could understand why he signed some OF loans when he had success at Ayr doing that.

though not a January signing I’d say Wright has been a good signing as he is part of a defence that has not conceded many.  It’s been the other end where we have had huge problems 

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I did not say they were successful- I said I could understand why he signed some OF loans when he had success at Ayr doing that.

though not a January signing I’d say Wright has been a good signing as he is part of a defence that has not conceded many.  It’s been the other end where we have had huge problems 

We have the best defence in the league, but the equal 3rd worst attack. Our forwards did not impress yesterday and until Cardle and then Erskine came on we did next to nothing in attack. Both keepers must have thought football was still suspended for all they had to do. Although Wright did have a good save with a few minutes to go.

Edited by Auld Jag

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I think you’re forgetting that McNamara’s team was pretty rotten to watch in his first (and only) full season. His team turned good with a finely tuned pre-season in which there was significant recruitment.

And in a league where recruitment of young talented players was easier. And not in the middle of a pandemic.

None of which is to say that McCall has done a good job. But you’re looking at the past very selectively.

• Like 1

I’m sorry to say that yesterday’s game was a case of same old, same old. In fact it just showed that rather than improving we seem to have stagnated. I suppose you could argue that McCall has stopped our decline, but we are bloody awful to watch. In fact, there was something inevitable about one’s equaliser.. I doubt that I would go to every game , if that  is the sort of crap we’re going to have served up to us. In case of anybody thinks I’m some callow youth I’ve been going to Firhill since 1976.

Edited by stillresigned

4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

i.e. didn’t have the summer transfer window or preseason to mould the team.

With the players we’ve got just now , there is not a chance they could be moulded into anything of value.

What we need is a manager with an eye for a player and one who makes the existing players better.

Can’t think of any player just now that McCall has improved apart from Sena .

With the players we’ve got just now , there is not a chance they could be moulded into anything of value.

What we need is a manager with an eye for a player and one who makes the existing players better.

The central defenders have been fairly steady.

No issues with Sena, McKenna, Btownlie and Bremen was ok. The keeper seems fine also.

But we lack creativity and pace. We need someone to make a difference in midfield and the ‘final third’ which is why he signed Erskine. I hope Cardle can continue his form of yesterday and that Rudden can shake things up.

I’m disappointed with Penrice and Gordon who both look like footballers but rarely contribute to any goal threat.

And Murray is a waste of a jersey.

Your living in dreamland if you think we can afford to payoff the current management we have and then just go out and cherrypick some manager out there. In case you have not noticed it’s just a case of everything was well until the current manager was appointed but rather the last 3 managers have struggled.  Add to the fact we are in a pandemic and it’s not a chance we are just going to miraculously ditch and afford to ditch the current management team and get someone in who will solve all our problems on and off the pitch and get us promotion as well