V Dunfermline

fifexile

9 hours ago, Arfur said:

Just thought I'd mention. This game was broadcast live on Sky TV in New Zealand. I was so excited to see The Jags for the first time in ages. Last time I saw them in the flesh was 1987!

My goodness I was soooo disappointed. What a let down. Even after Saturdays shock result, this was awful. Thank goodness I don't live in Fife any longer!!!!

Dont be thinking about coming over if some chance we make the playoffs,  The past few weeks have been dire....

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Whilst defense had been playing well up till Morton game pressure must have been mounting knowing that losing a single goal would likely lose us the game as we had next to zero going forward. I think that pressure has now cracked the confidence and hit the defensive form big time. 
We don’t look like scoring with the exception when Tiffany goes on a solo run.

Too many players out of position, too many similar positioned and style players shoe horned into unfamiliar positions. Adapt the set up to suit the squad not move players out of position.

And where’s the youth policy?

The thing that gets me is that when he took over from Caldwell, everyone was saying that his problems were a lack of balance in the side and a lack of pace. Now .......

McCall does seem to have a "type" when it comes to players. And guys like Crawford are exactly his "type." Cammy Smith is just Stephen McKeown (but not as good). Crawford reminds me of Brian Hodge. They all seem to be slow players who are so unbelievably bang average and unspectacular in every single way. The human equivalent of a glass of tepid room-temperature tap water.  

11 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Not a football manager. But I’m clearly not the only person who can see the team is overloaded with between 4/6 midfielders who are just tidy players up until the opposing teams box.. and genuinely don’t contribute much else.

and even saying that I wouldn’t pick one of our bunch we have to be some one who breaks up opposition attacks. Docherty is the only player who sticks his foot in, Bannigan doesn’t have that anymore.

Anyone who likes playing a lot of central based players always go with a diamond in the middle of the park, his best option At the moment is trying 3-5-2 or something to that affect. At least there’s some sort of width in the team then. 

Unfortunate about what your saying about the youth teams, it’s Always worth giving a boy  chance imo.

We changed to a diamond type shape in the 2nd half v Arbroath to some success. That of course had a bit to do with Tiffoney having to be replaced early on.

I'm all for 3-5-2 if it's for positive reasons but I don't see Tiffoney (and McAllistair/Murray) in wingback rolls. Crawford, Smith and Turner have all flopped in wide rolls. So that leaves our plethora of fullbacks to play the more attacking role. Foster is maybe the best of the bunch at getting forward but I don't think even he'd say he was comfortable these days playing wingback. So we'd effectively be playing a 5-3-2 with Tiffoney playing alongside Graham (or one of the other two loanees) up front.

I definitely go on too much about formations, when shape and balance are really secondary worries. The principal problem is we don't have the players to cover many formations in the first place. Parallel to that McCall's faults lie less in his selections, substitutions and shapes he sends out his team. By far his greatest failing has been in not recruiting a squad of players capable of playing in a variety of formations in the first place. 

Not to sure formations or team selections deal with the issues from last night. To me the lack of team spirit and individual desire was the more worrying thing.

That being said we need to find a formation that makes the most of what we have and gets results on our mudpile.

So to my mind 3-5-2 has merit. I think the following is our best starting selection for that.

Sneddon

Akinola-Mayo-Holt  (On Saturday with no Mayo, Akinola in the centre and McKenna on the right side)

Foster-Crawford-Docherty-Bannigan-Hendrie

Graham-Tiffoney

That gets arguably our most experienced and most competitive players on the park.  We need to get into battle mode and get points the ugly way. You don't pass your way out of the sort of crisis of confidence we have, you get out of by winning tackles, battles and competing physically.

At Firhill we need to go long to Graham and play from there. No more playing passes in our own half.

39 minutes ago, laukat said:

Not to sure formations or team selections deal with the issues from last night. To me the lack of team spirit and individual desire was the more worrying thing.

That being said we need to find a formation that makes the most of what we have and gets results on our mudpile.

So to my mind 3-5-2 has merit. I think the following is our best starting selection for that.

Sneddon

Akinola-Mayo-Holt  (On Saturday with no Mayo, Akinola in the centre and McKenna on the right side)

Foster-Crawford-Docherty-Bannigan-Hendrie

Graham-Tiffoney

That gets arguably our most experienced and most competitive players on the park.  We need to get into battle mode and get points the ugly way. You don't pass your way out of the sort of crisis of confidence we have, you get out of by winning tackles, battles and competing physically.

At Firhill we need to go long to Graham and play from there. No more playing passes in our own half.

For saturday at Killy, best option might be to line up all 11 on the goal line. Maybe have Tiffoney sitting on someones shoulders ! 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We changed to a diamond type shape in the 2nd half v Arbroath to some success. That of course had a bit to do with Tiffoney having to be replaced early on.

I'm all for 3-5-2 if it's for positive reasons but I don't see Tiffoney (and McAllistair/Murray) in wingback rolls. Crawford, Smith and Turner have all flopped in wide rolls. So that leaves our plethora of fullbacks to play the more attacking role. Foster is maybe the best of the bunch at getting forward but I don't think even he'd say he was comfortable these days playing wingback. So we'd effectively be playing a 5-3-2 with Tiffoney playing alongside Graham (or one of the other two loanees) up front.

I definitely go on too much about formations, when shape and balance are really secondary worries. The principal problem is we don't have the players to cover many formations in the first place. Parallel to that McCall's faults lie less in his selections, substitutions and shapes he sends out his team. By far his greatest failing has been in not recruiting a squad of players capable of playing in a variety of formations in the first place. 

Yes I agree, but when you look at who has been available Recently it honestly seems to me a 3-5-2 solves a lot of issuses we have. We have no width in the Team at all at least that helps provide it. An extra man at the back helps us with how badly we have been getting over run in midfield. And even now with Tiff back he could play off and around the striker with Banzo and Docherty sitter further back than maybe Turner playing further forward. 

Sneddon

Akinola        Mayo          Holt

Foster                                                                  Hendrie

Docherty

Turner             Bannigan

Tiffoney   

Alegra 

yes very football managerish of me ! But that has much more balance to it than what he put out against Dunfermline, just give me the job infact !

15 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why ?

With the exception of 6 weeks last season, the team has been rank rotten. First year he got us relegated. Second season we were in 5th place and looking lucky to get a play-off until the covid break and that late run (which probably saved him his job then). This year we have been rank rotten for most of the season, just lucky that others were rank rottener. Other than those 6 weeks out of around 150, we have been very poor and no indication that it is likely to get any better.

So in 6 weeks we have won about 25 games and had approximately 20 shut outs? I think your maths are out. Yes we have been God awful last month, but not quite as bad as you are suggesting. 

• Administrators

Have had to delete a few posts in this thread. Horrible baseless muck spreading. 

Thanks to the person that reported them, otherwise they would have been missed. 

Can I ask a favour, if you see something of that nature. Don't quote them. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Important game tonight. If Hamilton win then the only way we could be relegated is if

we lose every game and ayr and Dunfermline draw their head to head and both win every other game. 

Even then it would be on goal difference who would be in the playoffs 

There are no games tonight!

With only 6 games remaining maximum extra points any team can get is 18 points.

We are already safe from automatic relegation as QoS can't get any more than 44 points.

We're 16 points ahead of Dunfermline in 2nd bottom so if Dunfermline don't get at least a point away to ICT tomorrow then we can't be relegated.

14 minutes ago, laukat said:

With only 6 games remaining maximum extra points any team can get is 18 points.

We are already safe from automatic relegation as QoS can't get any more than 44 points.

We're 16 points ahead of Dunfermline in 2nd bottom so if Dunfermline don't get at least a point away to ICT tomorrow then we can't be relegated.

Which is probably good news, as I suspect another McCall relegation would finally kill the club.