Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jaggy

Roughie OBE

Recommended Posts

I’m not a fan of these awards, but congratulations to my hero and all time Jags legend big Scruffie :fan:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky Sports in the pub saying it’s an MBE that Roughie got. Not sure which is correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jaggy said:

I’m not a fan of these awards, but congratulations to my hero and all time Jags legend big Scruffie :fan:

I am with you. The ‘Member Of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire’, should’ve been confined to history long ago, along  with OBE, CBE, knighthoods etc. I’d have been more impressed with AR if he’d turned it down, as others have done in the past. Personal view.

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

For his time at Celtic?

Why would I be a fan of his time at Celtic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sandy said:

Sky Sports in the pub saying it’s an MBE that Roughie got. Not sure which is correct 

BBC quotes both on different articles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Oh. Never mind. Woosh!

Talking shite as usual? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I am with you. The Order of the British Empire, should’ve been confined to history long ago, along  with  MBE, CBE, knighthoods etc. I’d have been more impressed with AR if he’d turned it down, as others have done in the past. Personal view.

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

For services to broadcasting. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

When will you drop your title Isobel? A little bit hypocritical using a title .
Congratulations to Roughie  on a richly deserved M.B.E.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

Apparently it is for charity work in addition to his football career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Apparently it is for charity work in addition to his football career.

Ta for that.

No excuse really but I posted my comments last night after 5 hours in the pub. Not in great mood after the football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't see any issue with this. I have an MBE, but it is self awarded and stands for My Belly Enormous!

There are plenty of people who feel the honours system is out of date, tarnished or discredited (or two/three out of three). Even Tory Theresa May said it needed changing, but then she became PM and her previous ‘position’ drifted off into the clouds. (As many politicians’  former radical ideas/opinions often do…once they get any power!) But, yes, I too need to lose a bit of weight!

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one Jags fan who politely... ahem... declined an "Empire"-related gong.

The whole shebang reeks of class discrimination, and it's one of the Establishment's ways of reinforcing that.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vast majority of the Queens birthday honours go to ordinary people. It’s just the celebrities that get in the news

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole system like the Monarchy is an utter embarrassing disgrace…..like P Andrew’s award for child services 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The vast majority of the Queens birthday honours go to ordinary people. It’s just the celebrities that get in the news

Yeah, and the ordinary people are put in their place, precisely as "ordinary people." No knighthoods, damehoods, or whatever for "ordinary people'. Those are reserved for the superior classes, the rich and famous. The ordinary people might (if they're lucky) get a mention in a wee list somewhere in an insignificant local newspaper, maybe even photographed in the presence (somewhere) of the Queen's Lieutenant (or something) who is busy mosying up to somebody with more potential influence.

Check on eBay: you can get some of those "Empire" gongs for peanuts.

It's all sh*te.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I know one Jags fan who politely... ahem... declined an "Empire"-related gong.

The whole shebang reeks of class discrimination, and it's one of the Establishment's ways of reinforcing that.

A number of people have done that, but those picked to get one are generally  ‘asked’ first, if they would accept it before it is ‘bestowed’! (To save embarrassment to the monarch!) The Establishment has always found ways of ‘embracing’ those who are popular for populist reasons. Eg pop stars, football stars/managers and other celebrities. I couldn’t believe Alex Ferguson-a supposed socialist would have accepted honours like this, but there you go. And, you’ve  got pop stars who made their names by being rebellious eg Mick Jagger, who’s also happy to get down on one knee and bow his head! Yes, ‘ordinary’ people get eg MBEs for doing out of the ordinary things eg charitable good works. They might very well be deserving of an award for this but not awards with the words ‘British Empire’ on them surely. The ‘Empire’ has come to be seen by those who lived through it, are descended from those affected by it and those who know the history of events as a shameful period in British history-not one to be enthusiastic about. This, just as other European countries eg Spain, Holland, Belgium, France, Italy, Portugal, Germany should be ashamed of theirs. Russia’s Putin, today, thinks Ukraine is not really a sovereign country, because of its past, including being part of the Soviet Union. In a lot of ways the present war between these countries smacks of an imperialist war with Russia (from its viewpoint) seeking to impose its will on another piece of land which it once ‘owned.’ Colonialism, Empire, and Imperialism are concepts of a past, not to be forgotten, but to be make amends for, and not repeat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yeah, and the ordinary people are put in their place, precisely as "ordinary people." No knighthoods, damehoods, or whatever for "ordinary people'. Those are reserved for the superior classes, the rich and famous. The ordinary people might (if they're lucky) get a mention in a wee list somewhere in an insignificant local newspaper, maybe even photographed in the presence (somewhere) of the Queen's Lieutenant (or something) who is busy mosying up to somebody with more potential influence.

Check on eBay: you can get some of those "Empire" gongs for peanuts.

It's all sh*te.

Fair enough - you don’t like the establishment. However, I am pretty sure the “ordinary people” are delighted to be recognised for what they do out of the “ordinary”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Fair enough - you don’t like the establishment. However, I am pretty sure the “ordinary people” are delighted to be recognised for what they do out of the “ordinary”. 

I find the whole system an embarrassing, class ridden throwback and handing out awards named after something that doesn't exist except in the minds of Daily Mail readers and Nigel Farage sadly pathetic. It wouldn't be overly complex to modernise the honours and recognise the contribution of individuals to society with a single ctizenship award.

It will never happen although I wonder what might happen in an independent Scotland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×