January window

Big Dan

I expect the mess covid made to everyone's finances will have an impact to mute activity across the board. Some difficult messages coming out of St Mirren and Motherwell over the last few days, by way of an example.  Am I'm sure that they went into the pandemic in a better shape than many others did.  I don't think it will be a normal window for many smaller clubs.

56 minutes ago, laukat said:

I wonder if we are waiting until after the Scottish cup game against Dunfermline before we do anything?

Win that tie and we're in the 5th round which must be worth a few pence. If you get drawn against an arse cheek then it probably pays the wages of a new player

Can’t help but feel we taking a risk by waiting that long and also by presuming we will defeat Dunfermline.  They won’t be easy opposition to play 

I think we all had our suspicions where the club were regards finances. Alarm bells rang loud and clear over the machinations of fan ownership and the board's refusal to show the books( due diligence). It does not surprise me one bit. Hence that board jumped ship when the heat got too much.

McCall will just have to show enterprise to get us at least 2nd to give us a chance of going up.

No surprise to anyone that I have serious doubts he has that ability.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2

It would probably be a good time now to get an update from the Board as to the financial position. I can't speak for others but I would rather hear the truth even if it is not great than some PR spin which tells you nothing (which is what the old regime would give us).

We have managed to get to 4th at this point with this squad and the players who have left or will leave were not regulars so that is not too much of a concern for me. Also, if Tiffoney can get fit and on form then considering how little he has contributed to this point it could be like a new signing (apologies for the managerial cliche).

Ideally it would be great to freshen things up a little but if we can't then we just need to get on with it. I would hope that it might give some of the youngsters more of an opportunity as well.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

The manager got extra funds last year and we scraped into the playoffs and went out with a whimper. 

I wouldn't be doing the same this year. We should/ could finish better this season but not worth speculating on.

In general, not much activity anywhere in the division. 

I'd rather kept our squad together than buy shite like Ally Roy.

• Like 1

Can't see how the Dunfermline game itself will affect Club finances significantly, but a win and a favourable draw for the next round could!

My concern is that the Board decide to avoid risk, and sell players in the January window.  Not sure about who would be marketable (apart from Milne).

I presume TJF have been talking to the Board about how they could help avoid the need to sell players or fund the wages of new players.

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

Can't see how the Dunfermline game itself will affect Club finances significantly, but a win and a favourable draw for the next round could!

My concern is that the Board decide to avoid risk, and sell players in the January window.  Not sure about who would be marketable (apart from Milne).

I presume TJF have been talking to the Board about how they could help avoid the need to sell players or fund the wages of new players.

I guess that depends on how bad the finances are ….

Whilst I have my doubts about the finances of club and particularly what surprises Jlow left behind I'm not sure McCall's comments are saying there definitely is a black hole.

McCall has a large squad going into the window so he was never going to add more without shifting others on. Ending Weston's loan won't save much, loaning out Stanway likewise. If Akinola's wage is destined for Hodson then he would still need to move someone out to get someone fresh in.

Looking at the other clubs in the league they are arguably in a worse state. Most other clubs are more dependent on loans than we are and now finding those loans are being terminated. Ayr have just lost Chalmers and Young, Dundee have lost Robinson, Raith have lost O'Riordan and Cove have lost a few.

So whilst its possible we come out of the window with less numbers we might come out in a better place because other clubs have lost more.

Also reckon that now clubs like Ayr have lost loans they will need to look for replacements. That might mean they take players otherwise destined for league 1 and in turn league 1 clubs look at guys like Cammy Smith. If Smiths goes hopefully that frees up enough for a central defender as that's really all we need as it would free up Murihead and Hodson to cover midfield.

This window has been really strange so far across Scottish clubs. Looks like clubs have no money and the player pool to pick from is much smaller and poorer due to Brexit. Any club requiring a lot of players in this window might well end up bringing in a lot of duds. (for example Morton just signed Ally Roy)

However we really need to get Sneddon, Holt, Docherty, Turner and Tiffoney on longer deals. Trying to replace them with the market being so poor is going to be very difficult even in the summer.

22 minutes ago, laukat said:

Whilst I have my doubts about the finances of club and particularly what surprises Jlow left behind I'm not sure McCall's comments are saying there definitely is a black hole.

McCall has a large squad going into the window so he was never going to add more without shifting others on. Ending Weston's loan won't save much, loaning out Stanway likewise. If Akinola's wage is destined for Hodson then he would still need to move someone out to get someone fresh in.

Looking at the other clubs in the league they are arguably in a worse state. Most other clubs are more dependent on loans than we are and now finding those loans are being terminated. Ayr have just lost Chalmers and Young, Dundee have lost Robinson, Raith have lost O'Riordan and Cove have lost a few.

So whilst its possible we come out of the window with less numbers we might come out in a better place because other clubs have lost more.

Also reckon that now clubs like Ayr have lost loans they will need to look for replacements. That might mean they take players otherwise destined for league 1 and in turn league 1 clubs look at guys like Cammy Smith. If Smiths goes hopefully that frees up enough for a central defender as that's really all we need as it would free up Murihead and Hodson to cover midfield.

This window has been really strange so far across Scottish clubs. Looks like clubs have no money and the player pool to pick from is much smaller and poorer due to Brexit. Any club requiring a lot of players in this window might well end up bringing in a lot of duds. (for example Morton just signed Ally Roy)

However we really need to get Sneddon, Holt, Docherty, Turner and Tiffoney on longer deals. Trying to replace them with the market being so poor is going to be very difficult even in the summer.

I don’t mostly disagree ( though I would say finances are clearly tight ) but contrast your assessment with the boards comments before the age in November ….

40 minutes ago, laukat said:

As Jagfox said. We may not have the finance to offer deals. Particularly if we don't go up.  I think it may be we have to accept a few mid table seasons to rebuild the finances at the club.

45 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

As Jagfox said. We may not have the finance to offer deals. Particularly if we don't go up.  I think it may be we have to accept a few mid table seasons to rebuild the finances at the club.

That could be the case or it could be wide of the mark, hence the need for some more good communication from the club like the statement on the 5th of this month.