Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

17 minutes ago, laukat said:

I'm less keen on Bannigan coming back but I think with the budget we have and losing Docherty we are unlikely to have too many better, experienced midfielders willing to sign up.

I just hope Doolan can coach him on how to make a forward pass.

Given the length of years at the club would not expect Bannigan financially to be a cheap signing.  Been here for 10 years

• Like 1

Muirhead I am relatively pleased with, but how on earth can you give a 2 year contract in our financial situation to a player who, to be kind, has been less than impressive since coming back from injury.  It begs the question that nothing much is changing at PTFC, flinging out unnecessary contracts to ' one of our own'!

42 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Can’t say if I agree with another year added here.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/stuart-bannigan-extends-firhill-stay-until-2025/

Surprised it's two years but I never read too much into contracts. It's not uncommon when a player is either at the beginning or end of their career to have a good few caveats written into his contract.

1 minute ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Think folk are maybe too quick to forget how good Bannigan was in patches this season. Glad he’s signed, keeps a little bit of experience in there with him, Muirhead & Graham. Build around them & we should be ok, probably not challenging at the top, but time 

In patches? Enough said.

• Like 1

Doolan was always going to keep Banzo for this season and probably the right move. 2 year deal is ludicrous though…perhaps he’s had an offer elsewhere for that length and We’ve had no option but to match in order to keep him.

I wouldn’t be bothered at all if he moved on. Decent for the squad but we need better in that department. 

No pace, can’t tackle, can’t score, doesn’t create much or provide killer passes. Nice wee shimmy with his feet but struggle to see what else he brings. 

Please don’t make him Captain! Has to be Graham!

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I'm less keen on Bannigan coming back but I think with the budget we have and losing Docherty we are unlikely to have too many better, experienced midfielders willing to sign up.

I just hope Doolan can coach him on how to make a forward pass.

My thoughts exactly!

Pleased to see James Lyon signed up. Was impressed by what I saw of him a year or two ago. He appeared to have a good loan spell, and I was expecting him to make a real challenge at least for occasional starts and regular early off the bench this past season. However, it did not seem to happen for him, and Zander Mackenzie was the one who made the more significant step forward.

Kris Doolan gives every impression of being a coach who knows and understands younger players and how to encourage, motivate and improve them. It would be great to see at least two of our own (perhaps also Ben Stanway) being given a real opportunity to stake their claim for seasons to come. 

That must be a more fruitful field in which to sow rather than recruiting more aging journeymen (Bannigan, Muirhead, Lawless and Graham already provide sufficient experience). 

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The captain should be on the pitch regularly for 90 mins. Don't think Graham, or Bannigan for that matter, will fit that bill. Nonetheless Graham will lead by example as he's always done. 

Banzo, I think, has made clear, and I do not believe he was being falsely modest, that he does not like being captain and it adversely affects his game (the technical scientific term is the Christie Elliott effect).

Graham is a captain anyway, whether he is the official captain or not, so you might as well maximise your captaincy numbers by not making him official captain.

Aero would be a good shout. He had his one moment of madness in the 2-3 loss to Dundee, but really buckled down after that. He seems to thrive on challenge and responsibility, so, yes, I believe that he is ready to be captain. 

• Like 2

Surprised we have given a 2 year deal to Lyon. Not seen anything from him to suggest that he can hold down a slot at this level. I would have thought a 1 year deal that means he has to show his worth would have been better.

However I suspect this is the consequence of our budget constraints and Lyon whilst perhaps not being a starter will be expected to deputise regularly.  I can't see why would sign him to put him out on loan given current constraints/

I also can't imagine Lyon is consuming much budget so I hope that releases some funds to allow another experienced midfielder to be recruited to partner Bannigan.

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Think folk are maybe too quick to forget how good Bannigan was in patches this season. Glad he’s signed, keeps a little bit of experience in there with him, Muirhead & Graham. Build around them & we should be ok, probably not challenging at the top, but time to rebuild.

Maybe in patches, this season and last season.  But there are players who are pretty much good nearly every week eg McMillan who i would suspect be on considerable lower wages.  We need him to be more prolific than patches.  The club has stuck by him very well particularly when at one stage he very nearly didnt play for 2 years while in other years he was partially injured or not playing particularly well.  Thats probabably 3 out of the last 6 years he has played well in patches just but either not played well or played at all in the other years entirely.

• Like 1

Please don’t stick up for Bannigan because he’s a (Thistle boy) it’s not enough for us and don’t forget bar his injury he was offski. I am really disappointed he’s staying on and I’ve always really liked him. 

Isn’t mobile enough to be a defensive midfielder and doesn’t have the ability to carry the ball at all anymore. Muirhead I’m actually delighted is staying he has been an absolute pro this season IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elevenone said:

Can’t say if I agree with another year added here.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/stuart-bannigan-extends-firhill-stay-until-2025/

It might well take him two years to even approach atoning for giving the ball away for County's 3rd goal, then failing to win the game by ballooning the ball over the crossbar in front of an open goal from 3 yards, and then fluffing his crucial penalty in the shoot-out.

Not his finest afternoon's work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

It might well take him two years to even approach atoning for giving the ball away for County's 3rd goal, then failing to win the game by ballooning the ball over the crossbar in front of an open goal from 3 yards, and then fluffing his crucial penalty in the shoot-out.

He's done hee haw for Thistle for years. Doolan has made a blunder by keeping  him. And 2 years is a criminal waste of the clubs money. Jobs for your pals eh?

Edited by Garscube Road End 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ah the sweet smell of a scapegoating. 2 years in the football stocks. Give him a break ffs. He's been a more than decent player for us. Do I get frustrated by his tendency to play too many square balls. Yes. But here's the thing...possession football is the name of the game these days....and every team has that type of player. Same as many on here who slagged off docherty, despite the fact that when he played....we rarely lost! Sometimes the lack of knowledge of how modern football is actually played astonishes me. Final point on penalties....many a world superstar has missed one. Its totally understandable...get over it, move on. Its only a game. 

• Like 8

Exactly this. Keeping possession vs the hoof or speculative pass to a marked player...

If both Docherty and Bannigan had gone, there would've been a massive gap in the squad to fill. And it's a position we have struggled to fill in previous seasons. With just Docherty gone, Bannigan's role becomes much clearer. One less thing for Doolan to worry about - he can focus on recruiting for other positions, some of which are arguably easier to fill.

• Like 1

The comparison between Bannigan not being able to play a forward pass and hoofball is a false one. No one is asking that Bannigan play a long aimless pass.

However he repeatedly makes very decent forward runs, carrying the ball quickly into positions where the opposition defence is stretched and rather than playing a quick forward obvious pass, he will check back on himself and play the safe pass. We lose the opportunity to score as he does not want to risk losing possession. Bannigan's strength is his ability to run and go box to box, his safety first policy works well when play is in our half but that mindset in the opposition half slows our attacking momentum.

As I've commented earlier with Docherty gone, signing Bannigan made sense and I still think he's a relatively cheap signing. When you consider what the cost and risk would be of finding someone new of similar ability and experience its not hard to see why he's got a new deal. I can even get the 2 year part of it as finances dictate we can't afford better for the next 2 seasons. However I do hope Doolan can get him to take a few more risks in the attacking 3rd.

• Like 2

A hard tackling ball winning defensive mid. Someone who can break up play. Realise that finances are probably excluding an Osman/Rowson class and more likely Jimmy Gibson level, but having one fella doing the dirty work is better than relying on two (Banzo & Doc) sharing duties. Leave Bannigan to do the distributing etc.