Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

I think Robinson could be a very decent signing.

He can play a number of forward positions and is one of those players that has a huge workrate and is a constant pest to opposition defenders.  

I think McCall tried to get him a couple of times and I did wonder if Dundee United might have went in for him. As a striker he will offer something different to Graham, Dowds and Mullen who all wanted to play with their back to goal.

Wee note - the 2 year deal seems to be becoming a norm. I wonder if we are offering less wages but counterbalancing that with greater security?

The Williams signing- always wonder how a player like this ends up at firhill - very random . We don’t have a scouting network / doolan can’t have many contacts down south / wales/ Ireland . Is it agents just send round videos of players looking for a new club and you basically take a lucky ping. Doubt anyone at thistle will have seen him play before?   2 year contract is a fair time if it doesn’t work out

23 minutes ago, dibble said:

The Williams signing- always wonder how a player like this ends up at firhill - very random . We don’t have a scouting network / doolan can’t have many contacts down south / wales/ Ireland . Is it agents just send round videos of players looking for a new club and you basically take a lucky ping. Doubt anyone at thistle will have seen him play before?   2 year contract is a fair time if it doesn’t work out

That was the Archibald way of doing things. I remember a few years ago, the "agents fees" for each club were published and it became clear that Archie just signed whoever was offered to him. I can only hope that Doolan does indeed have some friends or contacts in Ireland who have seen him play. 

• Like 1

I do wonder with Robinson signing up if Dowds has a future?

Dowds would probably be on a relatively decent amount and he must know he's now back to being 3rd choice/backup striker spending a lot of time on the bench.

Perhaps Doolan wants to get Dowds off the books and release his wages for other purposes?

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

Dowds would probably be on a relatively decent amount and he must know he's now back to being 3rd choice/backup striker spending a lot of time on the bench.

Perhaps Doolan wants to get Dowds off the books and release his wages for other purposes?

Surely we need at least 3 if not 4 strikers anyway.   If Dowds is away that would leave only Graham and Robinson though.  Graham is 35 and Robinson has had some injuries.  I think even if Dowds were to leave we would be looking to sign at a couple of other strikers.

49 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Personally hate the renaming of stadiums for sponsorship but I guess we need the money… they can name it what they want but I’m sure every fan will continue to call it Firhill! 
https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/thistle-secure-new-naming-rights-agreement-and-unveil-the-wyre-stadium-at-firhill/

I also basically hate this kind of circus. But hey, like almost every other club (doing the same thing), we need money, and this arrangement looks just fine. It's temporary; remember when every Jagzone match commentary started with "Welcome to the Energy Check Firhill Stadium" or something like that? Annoying, but totally ephemeral, and Firhill remains, and always will remain, Firhill. Let's be grateful for the sponsorship! Well done to the staff for securing this deal!

26 minutes ago, laukat said:

Perhaps more than anybody, Dowds was a disappointment last season. In fact, unbelievably so. From the games that I watched, there was nothing to excite. I kept hoping that "this time" he was going to do something..... but..... no, actually never. Maybe he will do better at another club.

It's great that they got the stadium naming deal over the line. I hear that it went right to the Wyre.

Wasiri Williams has quite a back story. I am sure that Kris Doolan has good reasons for signing him and am therefore confident that he will be a huge success. Seems to be highly motivated and with a sense of humour as well. Hopefully our JagZone interviewers will let him speak for himself and not push him into the usual dull and repetitive question lines.

Scott Robinson scored some great goals for Livingston when they had that particularly successful period in the Premier League a couple of seasons back. Seems to have gone off the radar somewhat since. If he can recapture anything like that form, he will be a tremendous signing. Again I am sure that Kris Doolan will know what he is doing. Maybe some helpful insights from Jack McMillan/Stevie Lawless?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Perhaps more than anybody, Dowds was a disappointment last season. In fact, unbelievably so. From the games that I watched, there was nothing to excite. I kept hoping that "this time" he was going to do something..... but..... no, actually never. Maybe he will do better at another club.

Dowds made a very good start to last season, was scoring regularly and really pushing Graham for a starting place. Indeed i was perfectly happy when I saw that he was starting in place of Graham in the cup tie at Aberdeen. He made no impression that night and thereafter slowly subsided into being the dampest of damp squibs. 

Maybe Doolan can relight his fire, but I have to share your dubiety about that!

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Surely we need at least 3 if not 4 strikers anyway.   If Dowds is away that would leave only Graham and Robinson though.  Graham is 35 and Robinson has had some injuries.  I think even if Dowds were to leave we would be looking to sign at a couple of other strikers.

Don't disagree that if Dowds left we would need another striker in but perhaps Doolan wants a younger cheaper option that different to Graham, Dowds or Robinson? Perhaps he's looking at a loan striker thats more of a goal poacher such as Rudden? 

Can't see much value in keeping Dowds when he is at best Graham's stand in. Dowds is of an age that he needs to be playing and I dare say that other clubs in the championship would happily take him as a starter.

I expect Doolan will sort of stick with the 4-2-3-1 we used during the play offs, it’s such an effective way to with the right players on the park.

Without knowing a great deal about Wasari on paper he seems a player with good potential and  I reckon we might be able to get the best out of Robinson..

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Muirhead    Wasari   Milne

Bannigan   Lyon

Lawless           Robinson     Fitzpatrick 

Graham 

With McKenzie, Stanway and Dowds.. I reckon we have a very decent base of a team. Looking forward to more additions.

19 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

It was good to see in the video on the club's facebook page that Harry Milne was taking an active part in today's session.

Looking forward to seeing Wasiri in action but must say not keen on Scott Robinson - always thought he was too cheeky to Mrs Mangel (one for the teenagers there).

Showing your age!

8 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

I expect Doolan will sort of stick with the 4-2-3-1 we used during the play offs, it’s such an effective way to with the right players on the park.

Without knowing a great deal about Wasari on paper he seems a player with good potential and  I reckon we might be able to get the best out of Robinson..

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Muirhead    Wasari   Milne

Bannigan   Lyon

Lawless           Robinson     Fitzpatrick 

Graham 

With McKenzie, Stanway and Dowds.. I reckon we have a very decent base of a team. Looking forward to more additions.

It's Williams. Wasari is his first name.