Dundee Utd Vs Partick Thistle - Viaplay Cup group B

elevenone

Most of the post-United updates now in place on the Archive...

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  FIRST CUP WIN IN 48 YEARS

● 21-year-old Ben Williamson makes his Thistle debut. At the time of writing he brings our club connections with Dundee and Raith Rovers to exactly 100 each!
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in THIRTEEN consecutive first halves. It's the longest such run since March 1938, when an impressive 14-in-a-row was registered, and the third longest run of all-time.
● With his 53rd goal, the amazing Brian Graham now enters the All-Time Top 40 scorers in terms of competitive action.
● Thistle defeat Dundee United in a cup match for the first time since 1975, when they also won 2-1 in a League Cup group game at Tannadice. That was actually the last year that the Jags reached the semi final stage of the competition.
● With only 2 defeats in 21 competitive games, Kris Doolan is wildly out in front with the greatest points-per-game ratio (2.05) of any Thistle manager in history, ahead of McNamara (1.62) and Meiklejohn (1.47).

ongoing sequences:
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 30 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One for veteran Private Eye readers. Today's online Record describe him as an "Ashen-faced Jim Goodwin". who was "showered with Dundee United fan fury"

Reminiscent of Ron Knee of Neasden FC facing the wrath of loyal fans Sid & Doris Bonkers. Just a tad surprised that Jim didn't appear "tight lipped".

It was a mystery to me how Pevsner scored an og every week yet kept his place.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Re Dowds goal chopped off for offside. I thought the rule had changed so that it was only offside if the offensive player was wholly beyond the defensive player ?

That sounds like a sensible move for offside, daylight between the players. 

8 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

If this is true you could not fault his commitment during the play off games.  He gave 100%.

Agreed with regard to 100%. I did say "allegedly". If it is true that he did sign for Dundee 3 weeks before the end of the season  then he could have shown Doolan and PTFC a bit more respect by informing them of this. So with regard to Tiffoney  I wasn't questioning his commitment but  perhaps his integrity. My main point was I don't think Docherty and Holt (and especially Holt) deserved the GIRUY treatment. Although I was never totally convinced about Docherty I would still agree he was a good signing. By comparison Holt was a super signing.

I would have loved to keep all of our players, Turner, Holt, Tiffoney and  Docherty. I would also have retained Mullen and Brownlie both of whom I think we released.

Anyway, moving on! A good start to the season. A very good result and performance last night and great to see young players involved in the game and looking like they belong at this level.

We can't though get carried away! Dundee Utd we're very poor. I hope United persevere with Goodwin as I think they deserve each other.

Is that now 2 defeats in 21 games for Kris Doolan?

12 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agreed with regard to 100%. I did say "allegedly". If it is true that he did sign for Dundee 3 weeks before the end of the season  then he could have shown Doolan and PTFC a bit more respect by informing them of this. So with regard to Tiffoney  I wasn't questioning his commitment but  perhaps his integrity. My main point was I don't think Docherty and Holt (and especially Holt) deserved the GIRUY treatment. Although I was never totally convinced about Docherty I would still agree he was a good signing. By comparison Holt was a super signing.

I would have loved to keep all of our players, Turner, Holt, Tiffoney and  Docherty. I would also have retained Mullen and Brownlie both of whom I think we released.

Anyway, moving on! A good start to the season. A very good result and performance last night and great to see young players involved in the game and looking like they belong at this level.

We can't though get carried away! Dundee Utd we're very poor. I hope United persevere with Goodwin as I think they deserve each other.

Out of the 6 players you mentioned I only wish we had kept Holt and Turner.  Brownlie was a bit shaky. Mullen, I don't think was Doolan's type of player.  Docherty was, for me,a bit meh.

On new signing, I think we need 4 more for comfort. Couple of CB's, midfielder and a striker.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Out of the 6 players you mentioned I only wish we had kept Holt and Turner.  Brownlie was a bit shaky. Mullen, I don't think was Doolan's type of player.  Docherty was, for me,a bit meh.

On new signing, I think we need 4 more for comfort. Couple of CB's, midfielder and a striker.

I am OK with the above. Holt and Turner  (after Doolan played him further forward and in a more central position) were the stand out signings.

I am surprised you wouldn't have wanted to keep Tiffoney.

I felt Brownlie was slowly getting back to his pre-injury form and I felt Mullen didn't really get a real chance and deserved a run in the team to make his case. I suspect both Brownlie and Mullen were the victims of having a very tight budget.

I am not surprised that a lot of supporters are not too fussed about Docherty going for reasons already stated on this thread.

Finally I agree with you views about numbers etc of players we still need.

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

And unbeaten in cup games :)

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So far from what I can mind we've mainly been taking in-swingers. So it's been Lawless from the right and Fitzpatrick from the left. I don't recall any variation.

Not sure, think maybe Lawless, took one from the right that was straight to the penalty spot.

A slight variation from the in-swinger and we nearly scored from it.

• Like 1