Falkirk Viaplay Cup Tie - 22nd July

Fawlty Towers

Listened to the commentary and it didn't sound like a great day at the office. Sounded like Milne was unusually poor and that Falkirk were targeting MacKenzie. Also sounded like Sneddon should have done better with both goals.

Lyon's late equaliser may be crucial in getting through the group.

If Dundee United beat Falkirk a win against Spartans gets us through. If we finish as runner up 9 points would give us a chance of getting through.

Really poor today defensively today. Not optimistic about Wasiri and Milne as a left side unit.

Not enough creativity in the middle of the park either. Think we are missing Turner as much as we are Tiffoney from last year’s set up.

Zander by no means had a poor game compared to the rest of our defence but we need McMillan back for a bit of experience and solidity.

Have to say we were out battled most of today, seemed quite happy to sit back deep. Didn’t think anyone was particularly impressive. Wasiri looks very raw, some good battles but some mistakes too. Lyon was probably the only one who impressed and he was only on the park a short period of time.

Extremely average but it’s early days yet. We probably need another 2/3 bodies in before season starts.

Also, I may be wrong but pretty sure Ben’s top said Staway instead of Stanway…

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Really poor today defensively today. Not optimistic about Wasiri and Milne as a left side unit.

Not enough creativity in the middle of the park either. Think we are missing Turner as much as we are Tiffoney from last year’s set up.

Zander by no means had a poor game compared to the rest of our defence but we need McMillan back for a bit of experience and solidity.

I always thought we’d miss Turner. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, laukat said:

Listened to the commentary and it didn't sound like a great day at the office. Sounded like Milne was unusually poor and that Falkirk were targeting MacKenzie. Also sounded like Sneddon should have done better with both goals.

Lyon's late equaliser may be crucial in getting through the group.

If Dundee United beat Falkirk a win against Spartans gets us through. If we finish as runner up 9 points would give us a chance of getting through.

Milne had a real off day, maybe not surprising given he’s played 3 games in a week after a lengthy injury. Don’t think Zander is a full back, too easily turned at times, and will need McMillan back next week. 
Thought we were bossed to easily in midfield especially in the first half, and very naïve in the middle of the park and defensively immediately after we scored and they went down to ten. 
Great goal from Lyon and with injured players back next week, no midweek game, and hopefully a couple of signings  surely enough to beat Spartans and build from there. But as Doolan himself has said, we need 4 or 5 more players 

I am sure that Williamson is a good player and will have better days than today. 

At times he seemed to seek contact with the opposing player rather than just play the ball himself.

Great goal by Lyon.

I am a great fan of Jamie Sneddon but the second goal looked a poor near post concession. He got hands to it, so I think should have done better. I did not see the first goal clearly enough from the John Lambie End to be able to comment.

Thought the pitch was very slow today. It had had a lot of sand on it and was bone dry.  It did not allow slick passing. Was this deliberate.

I don't think we played one ball, through the midfield, to the attack.  We only put it out wide, where Falkirk doubled up and stopped the fullbacks getting into the game.

Thought Milne was shocking today. Nothing to do with easing his way back from injury as he's been fine previous two games. Just an off day for Harry. Not sure how anyone can right off Zander as a full back. He's not turned 18 yet and he's being forced into a steep learning curve. Wasiri hopefully will improve as well. He's obviously been used to having more time on the ball. You hear that the lower leagues in England are less pacy than up here, and I assume that's also the case in Ireland. Fingers well and truly crossed re Williams.

Think Doolan is correct to alternate the keepers but I prefer Mitchell in goals these days. Sneddon's slow and deliberate distribution is so frustrating. Was dodgy at the goals as well. Mitchell isn't in any way rock solid but at least he knows how to use the ball to better effect.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

I feel sorry for zander a full back is not him 

to be fair to zander he had 2 players coming at him most of the game without any back up cover

bit like dundee utd game

thought maybe doolan would have pushed him into midfield second half

definitely a player there

would like to see Lyon get a start next saturday