Jags vs Pars

Jaggernaut

Well, I started the Lichties thread and it turned out to be a disastrous event. 

Looking for better fortune this time.

Is there stlll a "Pars Bakery" in Gt. Western Road? What's the story behind that name?

Anything other than a win will indicate that we are a middling team, with no real ambitions/prospects for either top place (Arabs scored winner in 93d minute with 10 men.... Aaaargh) or play-off place. Changes are needed from last week. Who could forget the spanking of Dunfermline 10 years ago (was it 5-0?) in yon "crucial" match?

ETA: For  long time I hated them, for putting us out of the Cup, and because we never seemed to win there. But now they are sh*te, and I've seen us win there a few times. All OK.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Well, I started the Lichties thread and it turned out to be a disastrous event. 

Looking for better fortune this time.

Is there stlll a "Pars Bakery" in Gt. Western Road? What's the story behind that name?

Anything other than a win will indicate that we are a middling team, with no real ambitions/prospects for either top place (Arabs scored winner in 93d minute with 10 men.... Aaaargh) or play-off place. Changes are needed from last week. Who could forget the spanking of Dunfermline 10 years ago (was it 5-0?) in yon "crucial" match?

ETA: For  long time I hated them, for putting us out of the Cup, and because we never seemed to win there. But now they are sh*te, and I've seen us win there a few times. All OK.

Philip, Alexander and Radovan Branko were the sons of Sarafilovic Branco who was the founder of the Glasgow based bakery. Hence the name PARS bakery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Difficult one. We can up our game from last week (and for that matter, the first 45 against Ayr) and still see us get beaten. We can fair turn it on and score quite freely but we can't hide overriding problems. Kinda my way of saying we may not keep a clean sheet. Also not that sure there's obvious changes to be made from last week that'll make more than marginal differences. Agree tho' with AJ when he says nobody can complain if they're dropped.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Any player dropped from last weeks team can have no complaints as none of them did anything. Don't know what the starting team will be but would expect to see some changes and a much better performance and attitude from whoever does get a game.

Problem is how does Doolan decide who should get another chance this week? He's the one watching them at training and if they all do well, will he start them all?

As is stated (or at least hinted at) above, there is generally a need to score 2 goals (or potentially more) in order to secure any sort of victory - sadly a reflection of a midfield/defence that "couldn't keep we'ans oot a close".  Personally would settle for a dull dull goalless draw after last week, but not convinced a clean sheet is in any way likely at the moment. 

2 hours ago, scotty said:

Problem is how does Doolan decide who should get another chance this week? He's the one watching them at training and if they all do well, will he start them all?

Out of the starting line up last week only 2 were new signings this season. If any of the other new signings are deemed not good enough to improve on last weeks performance we need to question why they have been signed.

28 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Out of the starting line up last week only 2 were new signings this season. If any of the other new signings are deemed not good enough to improve on last weeks performance we need to question why they have been signed.

Yes, either Doolan needs to change the line up or he needs to have coached last weeks team into being able to defend and impose themselves more in midfield. But I can’t see those on the bench (with the possible exception of Williamson) being able to improve our defensive deficiencies 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

What's the story behind that name?

The story I heard about Dunfermline being called the Pars goes back to either the first war, or between the wars, and supposedly comes from the government moving a lot of shipbuilders from the Plymouth area to work in Rosyth Dockyard.

This led to the creation of the Plymouth Argyll Rosyth Supporters club or PARS.

Probably a load of old rubbish, mind you.....

Interesting to see what Doolan does on Saturday. I don’t think just putting Mcmillan back in is going to cut it, surely some personnel changes if he’s sticking with 4-3-3. Milne not been up to his usual standards, does he give Ngwenya a go ? Aero n Neilson are our best CB’s so they will play. I know Mcmillan has been running in training so hopefully he’s good to go. In midfield, young Ben in for even younger Ben, Robinson looks like he deserves a chance instead of McInroy. Don’t  see him dropping Banzo. Upfront, McDonald surely needs a chance, don’t see him dropping lawless so maybe a shot on the bench for Fitzpatrick. Would he drop his captain ? Should he drop his captain ? Maybe different answers to they questions. 
Do we try different formation. 3 at the back. Milne Aero n Neilson. Ngwenya n Mcmillan wing backs. Banzo n Williamson behind Lawless. Graham n Fitzpatrick through the middle. Maybe taking the burden of tracking  back off of Fitzpatrick will let him play more freely. Not a fan of two big men up front, prefer the little n large combo. Get some balls over the top for fitzy to chase. 

After all that it prob will b just Mcmillan back in and carry on as usual 😂

23 hours ago, thornwoodjag said:

Interesting to see what Doolan does on Saturday. I don’t think just putting Mcmillan back in is going to cut it, surely some personnel changes if he’s sticking with 4-3-3. Milne not been up to his usual standards, does he give Ngwenya a go ? Aero n Neilson are our best CB’s so they will play. I know Mcmillan has been running in training so hopefully he’s good to go. In midfield, young Ben in for even younger Ben, Robinson looks like he deserves a chance instead of McInroy. Don’t  see him dropping Banzo. Upfront, McDonald surely needs a chance, don’t see him dropping lawless so maybe a shot on the bench for Fitzpatrick. Would he drop his captain ? Should he drop his captain ? Maybe different answers to they questions. 
Do we try different formation. 3 at the back. Milne Aero n Neilson. Ngwenya n Mcmillan wing backs. Banzo n Williamson behind Lawless. Graham n Fitzpatrick through the middle. Maybe taking the burden of tracking  back off of Fitzpatrick will let him play more freely. Not a fan of two big men up front, prefer the little n large combo. Get some balls over the top for fitzy to chase. 

After all that it prob will b just Mcmillan back in and carry on as usual 😂

Robinson, Williamson in for Stanway and McInroy or Bannigan.

We could do with Ngenwya’s pace and energy. Can he play midfield?

Last week’s midfield needs shredding.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Robinson, Williamson in for Stanway and McInroy or Bannigan.

We could do with Ngwenya’s pace and energy. Can he play midfield?

Last week’s midfield needs shredding.

I like the idea of Ngwenya and Milne (with Ngwenya usually, but not always, further forward) combining on the left side as an alternative to Fitzpatrick for at least part of a game. I cannot remember on which side Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge played together for Chelsea, but both being very attacking they could play some great moves going forward (often switching positions) but also both being defenders, there was never any problem about one, the other or both covering back.

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Seddon

RB McMillan (if not fit Ngwenya) CH Muirhead CH Neilsen LB Ngwenya (taking chance on wrong side)

MID Bannigan MID McInroy

Attacking MID Robinson

RW Lawless CF Graham LW McDonald

Bit more pace at LB. Give Stanway & Fitzy a rest. Robinson to fill gap bw midfield and attack

Ngwenya is naturally left sided.

20 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

An interesting listen about "Her Game Too" to encourage more females to the club.   Big event at Dunfermline game.

27:47 mins in on this podcast

https://spotify.link/ATlTmIqiuDb

and official site

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/her-game-too-weekend-at-the-wyre-stadium-at-firhill/

Interpreters drafted in for "Offside?"

And before any howls of indignation start to appear: it would help me!

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I like the idea of Ngwenya and Milne (with Ngwenya usually, but not always, further forward) combining on the left side as an alternative to Fitzpatrick for at least part of a game. I cannot remember on which side Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge played together for Chelsea, but both being very attacking they could play some great moves going forward (often switching positions) but also both being defenders, there was never any problem about one, the other or both covering back.

That's what Robertson and Tierney do on left side for Scotland and it seems to work well.

• Like 1

After last week’s debacle there must be at least 2 or 3 changes to the line up. Hopefully McMillan will be back so Zander back on the bench. Ngwenya in for Milne until his attitude improves. Williamson in for Bannigan. If not Williamson then anybody who’s fit, Might also be time to give McDonald a start in place of Fitzy.

Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of my first Jags game, a 0-0 draw with Motherwell. 4.50 last Saturday I swore I’d seen my last! 🤬

• Like 1

Don't get the clamour for Ngwenya. He was better than Zander against Arbroath but we had to play 3 at the back to accommodate him.

Against Ayr Ngwenya was poor and we were lucky Ayr had no striker worth the name.

So to my mind a back 4 of McMilland-Muirhead-Neilson-Milne is the best we have and isn't the part of the team that needs fixed. Equally Lawless, Graham and Fitzpatrick are the best we have and not the problem.

The problem is the midfield 3. We can't start Stanway and Bannigan again.Personally I would have Williamson and McInroy with Robinson the attacking midfielder.

However it will be yet Bannigan plus 2 and we will again wonder why our midfield isn't much use.